Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2009, 09:15 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Help me Sell pentax Cameras

I've been selling cameras for awhile now. Basically I'm asking how would you go about selling a pentax over a nikon or a canon.

In more detail ::

Customer comes in, they ask me for advice on what camera to purchase. I show them between the nikon and the canon(always want to start with that cause 99% of the time that's all the customer researched or know about). Eventually at some point they ask or I bring up that I own a pentax.

So I tell them about the cost, vers more lens, the build. Always then comparing them to sony saying sony cameras feel cheap and plastic.(need to always knock off the cameras that directly compete )

Help me, obviously some people will be lost causes and will always go nikon or canon. But there are quite a few I felt I could have swung them elsewhere. I've actually have had customers who come back just to talk after they bought a canon or nikon, and we get into the pentax conversation and there are some regrets on their part. Especially when they see how expensive the lens get in this regard.

On another note..
Sometimes I get the customer who comes in, and when I mention pentrax they respond.
I never heard of pentax before I of course cry on the inside but say nicely that they have been a big part in photography forever.

04-25-2009, 09:20 PM   #2
Damn Brit

You're the salesman, show them Pentax, Canon and Nikon. Then explain the benefits/drawbacks of each system.
I don't know why you would come on this forum and make a statement like "I show them between the Canon and Nikon". That sounds very trollish and trolls aren't tolerated here. I'm not saying you are, just pointing it out to you.

Judging by your two posts, I don't think I would want to buy a camera from you. You don't seem knowledgeable enough.
04-25-2009, 09:33 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I don't know why you would come on this forum and make a statement like "I show them between the Canon and Nikon". That sounds very trollish and trolls aren't tolerated here. I'm not saying you are, just pointing it out to you.
I love pentax cameras, I love my pentax k10d to death and I get to play with pretty much any brand and model.

My question is simply, I find it hard at times to sell them over nikon and canon. I was asking for advice on how more knowing people would go about selling one.

These aren't web going custoemers. 99% of them don't even know boards like these exist or what depreview is or whatever.

So of course I go off showing them the more name brand first, but it always comes to a point in the sale where what camera I use comes up. In which..

I'm asking what would you then say there.

EDIT:
And that was rude :P I did say in the post I owned a pentax!!
04-25-2009, 10:32 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't compare Nikon to Canon.
There's no need, 99% of the time your customer has already done that for you.
You should never have both a Nikon and a Canon on the counter at the same time if you can help it. If the customer wants to see the Canon, put the Nikon back on the shelf and when they are done, compare feature and benefit to the Pentax. If they want to hold the Nikon, put the Canon away and then compare feature and benefit to the Pentax.
The Pentax should always be on the counter, and should be the first camera they touch.

What you want to do is compare Canon to Pentax, and Nikon to Pentax. As soon as they are comparing Nikon to Canon, they will buy either a Nikon or a Canon.
You should always have the camera you want to sell on the counter.
As far as feature/benefits go, you should be able to figure out a few.
Doesn't Pentax have the best kit lens?
Where's the shake reduction in the Canon or Nikon? Does it come as standard equipment or is it only available on a few specially marked packages of LensCrap®.
Show them how easy the Pentax menu system is to navigate compared to Canon, and then Nikon (but remember, never compare Canon to Nikon).
Get the camera you want to sell them into their hands. Familiarity with a camera comes with handling. If they are shown how the Pentax works, and get to handle the Pentax as often as the Canon and Nikon combined, they are probably going to buy the Pentax.

This is helped by the fact that you, as the guy who knows cameras, shoots with a Pentax.

Learn what the objections to Pentax are, and figure out how to respond.
Your customers will tell you what objections need to be adressed. If you run into one you can't answer, make sure you learn what the answer is for next time.
For example, Canon has more big peepee lenses.
I suspect Pentax now has more lenses in the range that most people will want, and in several quality levels (price ranges).

You'll think of others, and your customers will help.

You can honestly say that Pentax is the choice of discerning photographers around the world.
This doesn't mean that their aren't discerning photographers who shoot with other brands, it's just that as far as the conversation with the customer is concerned, they don't exist.

04-25-2009, 10:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I don't understand why you say "of course, I show them the Canon and Nikon first". You've stated that twice now.

If you truly own and love Pentax, why on earth aren't you showing them what you own and know about FIRST? Something is fishy...
04-25-2009, 10:48 PM   #6
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Jackm Quote
And that was rude :P I did say in the post I owned a pentax!!

Not rude, just protecting the forum, in your first two posts you appear not to have too much knowledge and yet you say you are a camera salesman. You should be telling us the differences between the systems.
04-25-2009, 10:51 PM   #7

Original Poster
Yeah thanks wheatfield, I think that is my flaw. That I'm not being as flat out supportive of my brand and still hiding behind the more recongized named brand.. Generally I think it's more I am lacking the salesmanship to really sway a customer away from the norm. I'd call it lack of balls

But I think come to work tomorrow, I'm gonna try a more aggressive approach to pentax.

And Dear OregonJim,
If I was confident in pushing pentax over what 90% of the customers want is nikon or canon, and alot of those never even heard of pentax. I wouldn't be asking for advice :P

04-25-2009, 10:58 PM   #8
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Jackm Quote
If I was confident in pushing pentax over what 90% of the customers want is nikon or canon, and alot of those never even heard of pentax. I wouldn't be asking for advice :P
Are you the only person in the store? I would have thought the owner/manager would be dictating policy as to which cameras you should be 'pushing'
If you have the freedom to demonstrate whichever brand you like, you're lucky. If that is the case, it seems logical to me that the camera you should be showing people is the one you know best, the one that you own.
04-25-2009, 11:06 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I don't think he's being unreasonable by showing Canon and Nikon first, after all I'ma ssuming that's what the costumers are familiar with and possibly asked about when they came in the store. If I come in the store and asked for a Pentax, then the guy shoved me a Canon / Nikon down my throat (to be a bit extreme), I think I would be pissed and think that this guy gets more commision for what he's promoting. I think we've had members experiencing this exact thing before. Why would a costumer looking at Canon / Nikon be any different than us? Promoting a product to a costumer must be timed well imo, especially for an unknown like Pentax.

If the Costumer asked for a particular brand (Canon or Nikon) and not both, then I think it's fair to bring Pentax up right from the beginning, just be careful not to push a costumer towards pentax too strongly, just bring up the facts and advantages of both.

I think wheatfield has some really good suggestions there myself, especially with the availability of lenses at several price points.

my 2c
04-25-2009, 11:15 PM   #10
Damn Brit

Andi, read the first post again
QuoteQuote:
snip Customer comes in, they ask me for advice on what camera to purchase.
Let's say you're a salesman (we know you have a Pentax camera), a customer comes to you and says "What camera should I buy?"just as Jackm has described above.
What camera are you going to suggest to the customer?
If the customer asks to see a Canon or a Nikon then your point is valid but Jackm didn't say that.

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
I don't think he's being unreasonable by showing Canon and Nikon first, after all I'ma ssuming that's what the costumers are familiar with and possibly asked about when they came in the store. If I come in the store and asked for a Pentax, then the guy shoved me a Canon / Nikon down my throat (to be a bit extreme), I think I would be pissed and think that this guy gets more commision for what he's promoting. I think we've had members experiencing this exact thing before. Why would a costumer looking at Canon / Nikon be any different than us? Promoting a product to a costumer must be timed well imo, especially for an unknown like Pentax.

If the Costumer asked for a particular brand (Canon or Nikon) and not both, then I think it's fair to bring Pentax up right from the beginning, just be careful not to push a costumer towards pentax too strongly, just bring up the facts and advantages of both.

I think wheatfield has some really good suggestions there myself, especially with the availability of lenses at several price points.

my 2c

Last edited by Damn Brit; 04-25-2009 at 11:25 PM.
04-25-2009, 11:46 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Hmm, you're right Gary. I should've read it more carefully. I stand corrected. I do think there must be some degree of prior research done by costumers prior to entering a camera store though. If the costumer really asks for "anything" then I agree, you should give them Pentax first, first impressions count.
04-25-2009, 11:50 PM   #12
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
I do think there must be some degree of prior research done by costumers prior to entering a camera store though.
We both know that and a large percentage of the membership of this forum know that but the average person doesn't. If they did, this forum would have a 130,000 members instead of 13,000.
04-26-2009, 07:00 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Gary: FWIW, I've noticed the last week or two an increasing number of BRAND new members claiming some experience with photography, asking really basic questions about cameras in general, Pentax cameras or lenses (especially vintage), such as meaning of letters on lenses, meter doesn't work, read the manual, nothing there (but the batteries were in wrong), reasons I should stay with Pentax, etc.

Now most people would read the link and answer their own questions, but these posters come back qith several follow-on questions that are answered in the next paragraph of the supplied link, or make a doubtful claim (read the manual, nothing there).

I have started to suspect Troll-posting. At best, OP's could do more of their own work. Rather unfortunately for legitimate questioners, my desire to respond in detail (as a return of the help I have received here) has declined dramatically due to these threads - since the question threads I have started have all been very graciously answered by our members.

Note: I in no way suggest the OP is a Troll - problem is I just can't tell any more.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-26-2009 at 08:11 AM.
04-26-2009, 08:16 AM   #14

On possible trolls...

QuoteQuote:
new members claiming some experience with photography, asking really basic questions about [...] Pentax cameras or lenses (especially vintage), such as meaning of letters on lenses, etc.
I mean no offense to anyone personally...

...but if that's considered basic photographic knowledge, I submit that those considering it have been concerned with a particular brand for so long that they have forgotten that that information does not apply to cameras in general. Nothing about vintage camera lines or lens series names is related to photography; it's all brand-specific. (I had to read several forums for a while to find out what the letters meant myself, because the manual for my camera just throws the names out there and they aren't all documented anywhere I can find by Pentax proper. Single-letter names are impossible to use search tools for in most places too.)

As for possible trolls in general, what's the harm in answering as if they weren't? If you start sensing a circular argument, then drop it and move on...

I never understand why people get so hung up over possibly being tricked in forums on the internet. If it happens to you, so what? It's irrelevant to anything important, and if someone is there only to cause trouble it becomes obvious fairly quickly in my experience.
04-26-2009, 08:49 AM   #15
Veteran Member

So, to answer the question....

Glass, glass, glass.

Pentax is the only company which has recently shown a commitment to interesting prime lenses in the APS-C format (Nikon's new 35mm lens being the notable exception). And since they have SR in the body, every one of them benefits from image stabilization.

Do you sell the DA 40mm Limited? Keep that on hand. Mounted on a K-m body, maybe. It's a top-notch lens with amazing optical performance in a tiny jewel-like package, and is very affordable. If someone doesn't fall in love with this on the spot, there's probably no hope for them.

Another big accessory-based selling point is wireless P-TTL controlled by the on-board flash. Canon doesn't offer this at all, and Nikon only does with their mid-range-and-up bodies (and unless I'm mistaken, not on their mid-range flash, either). For Pentax, you can get a K-m or K200D and use it to control a Pentax AF360FGZ, Metz 48 AF-1, or Sigma EF530DG Super. This will give better low-light performance than any $4000 full-frame camera sans external flash.