Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2009, 02:16 PM   #1

Just got my K20D... problem already - need help!

Hi, I just got my new Pentax K20D. I updated firmware to1.3 as Pentax recommended and soon I noticed a problem: when I'm taking pictures, my camera suddenly stops showing preview, the shutter speed become different from settled, when I turn a camera off, in the top LCD panel there is a number oft shots left still showing, and when I turn it back on, only a battery indicator appears, no other information. I can't use function and menu buttons. I have to take the battery out and put it back to start camera work normal. I had this problem 3-4 times for 2 days. Can anyone tell me what may be the problem, is this because of firmware update or I need to contact Pentax for addressing this? I never used DSLR before and not sure how serious problem is... My PZ-1P was much easier to use, miss it already...

04-26-2009, 02:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Please take a look at what memory card you are using in your camera. We had the same problem when we first got the K20--two lockups in a day. We switched to a new 8 gig memory card, and have not had a single issue. (The new card didn't arrive until a day or two after our camera did, and we were using an old 1 gig card we had lying around.

That's my theory anyway, because it's been doing great ever since we put the 8 gig card in.
04-26-2009, 10:35 PM   #3

try the new card then send it back to Pentax

Based on my recent experience (search here for "k20d" and "freeze") it's unlikely to be the card. If you can, try a new card but give Pentax a call and they will ask you to send it in. Let them have it for two weeks to swap out the circuit board and you'll get it back working better than ever with only small amounts of damage to things like your focusing screen.
04-30-2009, 02:31 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Also, make sure that if you have the battery grip, that you have not accidentally turned the vertical shutter release on (((mea culpa))).

04-30-2009, 02:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is another posibility for this behavior.

Check ALL dials and make sure they are locked into positive clicked positions. With the K20D (and I've found that also every other digtital SLR), if any of the dials: (front e-dial, rear e-dial, focus selector dial, both dials in grip) is not clicked into position, that is, the dial was accidentaly moved between click, then strange things begin to happen with the camera.

This happened to me years ago with my istD and later with my K20D. Once pinpointed, it becomes second nature to check all dials for positive clicked positions.
05-01-2009, 01:28 AM   #6
Site Supporter

I've just upgraded my K20D firmware, without any problems. I suggest using another memory card and load the firmware and try the process again. Follow instructions to the letter and leave the camera to complete the upgrade process. By reloading the firmware should overwrite the existing programs.

Also check whether you are using a MAC version or a Windows version. This is determined by the PC you are using. Good luck, and if this doesn't work then drop it off into a Pentax shop
05-01-2009, 04:21 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Definitely a K20 freeze-up problem. There is a thread in the DSLR section on it. It should not be related to the updated firm ware. I had several issues with it when I was using a cheap memory card. Now I have an 8 GB Class 6 card and have had no further issues. Some have reported that it may be related to off brand batteries and some have had to send their cameras in for warranty work...