Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2009, 04:06 PM   #1

Newbie Purchase

Hi All,

Just wanted to say I am new to this (Hence why Im posting in here) but would like to know if I got a good deal. I just purchased a K10D brand new for $600 AUD (Body Only). I would have got a lens kit with it but the place of purchase didnt have any. So I went to another camera shop and was sold a Sigma 28-300mm F3.5-6.3 DL Aspherical IF Hyperzoom for $299. Now Im not sure what this all means but as no one had any lens kits in my area, I had to get this one. I want to mainly take surf photos. So Im not sure if this is where I should start with a lense. Did I get a good deal for what I want to shoot?

Thanks

04-26-2009, 04:25 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well I would say you did get a fairly good deal, the K10D is a good camera and infact better than most that you'd buy for $600.00 body only. And as far as the lens goes an excellent price at $299.00 as the average price for a lens like that would be around $690.00 to $750.00. So well done. If you are taking surfing shots from the shore you may need to save up for a 500mm lens. BTW when you start using telephoto lenses you really need to have them tripod mounted so if you don't have a good solid tripod it may pay you to think about getting one. And remember to turn the "anti shake" off on your camera when using a tripod.
04-26-2009, 04:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Noted Pentaxian Mark Dimalanta takes a lot of surf pictures:

chasing light...

From what I remember he uses a FA*600 for his shore-side pictures.
04-26-2009, 07:24 PM   #4

Original Poster
Eaglem: Thanks for your feedback The K10D was actually the last one they had in stock at JB Hi Fi, so I got a bargain even if the service is poor haha. The lense really doesnt have much info on the net, so I will have to learn more about it. I wasnt sure to get the K10D or t he EOS 1000 but from what reviews I read the K10D was more bang for my buck.

I have taken a few shots with the lense and must admit I need a tripod, any suggestions?

I know Im only starting out and like surf photos but have taken an interest in shots "bokeh", so would love to get me a lense to do this at some stage

MrApollinax: Thanks for the links, will check them out If I save enough and get good enough I would love to travel the world taking snaps of this stuff.

Thanks all

04-27-2009, 03:35 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

If you like Macro work then a good Macro lens will give you great detail shots with great bokeh in the background. As far as a Tripod goes I suppose you won't go far past getting a Manfrotto or maybe a Slik, good quality either way.
04-27-2009, 07:09 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just bought a used K10D a few weeks ago and a used FA 100mm macro lens, and hand-held this lens is just outstanding. You won't be disappointed. It's a pretty good 100mm prime for general shooting, too. That give a good reach, but is pretty much useless taking images of people unless they're about 30 feet away.

I'll be interested in seeing your long tele experience as a fellow noob.

Flickr: TER-OR's Photostream
See some macro pics there.
04-27-2009, 07:49 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just to chime in here, it does sound like you got the lens you needed. I wouldn't worry about getting a kit lens. The normal kit lens for the k10d / k20d is an 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 lens. It's a nice lens but Pentax brought out a second version of this which is supposed to be better. In either case, it doesn't sound like the kit lenses would be of any use to you and the kit lenses are designed to be...part of a kit sold with the camera. They are the basic models from which you get to build you collection of lenses - generally with better lenses. What you get next will depend on what you want to do. You might consider something with a wider angle selection (less than the 28mm you have) or a smaller lighter lens like Pentax's 40mm pancake lens.

Tim
04-27-2009, 05:07 PM   #8

Original Poster
WOW - I cant believe the support from everyone. Thank you all for your input, where I am in my photography, I didnt know what to buy or what lenses will do what... So I really appreciate it. I need to get a tripod as there is a good swell coming in this week! I tried taking snaps without one but got tired fast holding the camera up, no to mention it gets shakey lol Oh and Im looking at taking some photography courses but if anyone knows online tutorials, I would appreciate the links

Will look into the FA 100mm Macro

Thank you all