Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2009, 06:25 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Need advise for a good indoor lens

Hi.
I'm recently back in the SLR world. I have a K-10, and want a decent indoor lens. I'm thinking about the 10-17mm or the 12-24mm, and am willing to listen to other suggestions. Wide-angle would be nice, but I'm not looking for a fish-eye.

The 40mm pancake is really tempting, and not too expensive. Though I think 40mm is still a bit narrow field for indoor pictures. Money is an issue, but for the right lens I'm willing to pay to avoid frustration.

04-26-2009, 06:51 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Hi.
I'm recently back in the SLR world. I have a K-10, and want a decent indoor lens. I'm thinking about the 10-17mm or the 12-24mm, and am willing to listen to other suggestions. Wide-angle would be nice, but I'm not looking for a fish-eye.

The 40mm pancake is really tempting, and not too expensive. Though I think 40mm is still a bit narrow field for indoor pictures. Money is an issue, but for the right lens I'm willing to pay to avoid frustration.
The 12-24 is probably your best bet.
The 40LTD is nothing special anymore. The 35/2.8 macro is a much better lens if you want something in that part of the focal length range.
04-26-2009, 06:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You can real well indoors by getting an external flash and an inexpensive zoom, such as Pentax 16-45 or Tamron 17-50. I don't think you need wider than 16 or 17 mm for normal indoor shots, unless you want to take very large group shots. With the two zooms I mentioned you can also take nice protrait shots as well. You can also get a fast prime for the special occasion when you don't want to use a flash. You get very good value for the money with Pentax FA 50mm F1.4. Another option would be the FA 35mm F2, which is out of production but still may find a good used one.
04-26-2009, 10:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
TER OR: Need advise for a good indoor lens
Hi.

Welcome back. What do you want to shoot indoors, people or real estate shots? Do you really need ultra-wide angle, or can you work at 17mm? Sigma and Tamron make some f 2.8 17 & 18mm options (cost effective too) which are at the widest end of their very good zooms. The Tamron is excellent wide open, but with some barrel distortion @ 17mm which may or may not matter in your case.

If you are doing real estate shots only, you really would do great with the Pentax 12-24 f4 because speed would not be an issue. On the other hand, if you want to shoot people indoors speed becomes a larger factor. The da 14mm f 2.8 is another choice, particularly if you are shooting people.

04-27-2009, 01:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

If you're not looking for a fisheye. then you can cross the 10-17 off your list.

I find 40mm a very useful focal length indoors - not for the indoor environment itself, but for the people in it. It's just about right for capturing a candid of one or two poeple with just enough context to establsh where they are or what they are doing. But way too long to capture the setting primarily.
04-27-2009, 05:36 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
That Pentax 16-45mm is also on my short list. Perhaps I'll just buy that, and see how it works. I'm not impressed with the 18-55mm kit lens, it just doesn't seem sharp to me. From what I've read the 16-45mm is a major step up from that, while covering a similar range. I guess that 16mm side would be fine indoors for people and activities. I will be buying a decent flash, too.

The 12-24 seems very nice, but quite pricey. Not that it's not worth the money, granted.

I've read mixed information about the Sigma 10-20, does anyone have personal experience with this?

Oh, the other lens I think I'll buy is the Pentax 18-250 for general outdoor type zoom work. While that FA 100mm takes very nice shots outdoors, having the zoom option is so flexible.
04-27-2009, 07:56 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I have the DA 40 and DA*16-50, but I find that my best indoor lens is the very cheap and very fast FA 50 f1.4.

Tim

04-27-2009, 10:09 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I'm not impressed with the 18-55mm kit lens, it just doesn't seem sharp to me.
It isn't when used indoors both because it isn't very sharp wide open and because it is hard to get a fast enough shutter speed because "wide open" isn't very wide. But outdoors at f/8 or f/11, it's hard to tell the difference between it and a prime (especially the newer version of the kit lens, anyhow).
04-27-2009, 07:14 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks lots for the advice. I'll have to give the kit lens a better evaluation outdoors. Inside with ambient lighting and even with the built-in flash it's not very responsive. But that's why the right lens for the job is important.
04-27-2009, 09:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member

That Pentax 16-45mm is also on my short list. Perhaps I'll just buy that, and see how it works. I'm not impressed with the 18-55mm kit lens, it just doesn't seem sharp to me. From what I've read the 16-45mm is a major step up from that, while covering a similar range. I guess that 16mm side would be fine indoors for people and activities. I will be buying a decent flash, too.

The 12-24 seems very nice, but quite pricey. Not that it's not worth the money, granted.

I've read mixed information about the Sigma 10-20, does anyone have personal experience with this?

Oh, the other lens I think I'll buy is the Pentax 18-250 for general outdoor type zoom work. While that FA 100mm takes very nice shots outdoors, having the zoom option is so flexible.
I ordered the 16-45 yesterday.

When it arrives I will do the full compliment of indoor tests and will get back with you.