Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2009, 06:25 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
TER-OR's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dundee, IL
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,834
Need advise for a good indoor lens

Hi.
I'm recently back in the SLR world. I have a K-10, and want a decent indoor lens. I'm thinking about the 10-17mm or the 12-24mm, and am willing to listen to other suggestions. Wide-angle would be nice, but I'm not looking for a fish-eye.

The 40mm pancake is really tempting, and not too expensive. Though I think 40mm is still a bit narrow field for indoor pictures. Money is an issue, but for the right lens I'm willing to pay to avoid frustration.

04-26-2009, 06:51 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Wheatfield's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The wheatfields of Canada
Posts: 10,157
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Hi.
I'm recently back in the SLR world. I have a K-10, and want a decent indoor lens. I'm thinking about the 10-17mm or the 12-24mm, and am willing to listen to other suggestions. Wide-angle would be nice, but I'm not looking for a fish-eye.

The 40mm pancake is really tempting, and not too expensive. Though I think 40mm is still a bit narrow field for indoor pictures. Money is an issue, but for the right lens I'm willing to pay to avoid frustration.
The 12-24 is probably your best bet.
The 40LTD is nothing special anymore. The 35/2.8 macro is a much better lens if you want something in that part of the focal length range.
04-26-2009, 06:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 366
You can real well indoors by getting an external flash and an inexpensive zoom, such as Pentax 16-45 or Tamron 17-50. I don't think you need wider than 16 or 17 mm for normal indoor shots, unless you want to take very large group shots. With the two zooms I mentioned you can also take nice protrait shots as well. You can also get a fast prime for the special occasion when you don't want to use a flash. You get very good value for the money with Pentax FA 50mm F1.4. Another option would be the FA 35mm F2, which is out of production but still may find a good used one.
04-26-2009, 10:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member
Jewelltrail's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Rhode Island
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,180
QuoteQuote:
TER OR: Need advise for a good indoor lens
Hi.
I'm recently back in the SLR world. I have a K-10, and want a decent indoor lens. I'm thinking about the 10-17mm or the 12-24mm, and am willing to listen to other suggestions. Wide-angle would be nice, but I'm not looking for a fish-eye.

The 40mm pancake is really tempting, and not too expensive. Though I think 40mm is still a bit narrow field for indoor pictures. Money is an issue, but for the right lens I'm willing to pay to avoid frustration.
Welcome back. What do you want to shoot indoors, people or real estate shots? Do you really need ultra-wide angle, or can you work at 17mm? Sigma and Tamron make some f 2.8 17 & 18mm options (cost effective too) which are at the widest end of their very good zooms. The Tamron is excellent wide open, but with some barrel distortion @ 17mm which may or may not matter in your case.

If you are doing real estate shots only, you really would do great with the Pentax 12-24 f4 because speed would not be an issue. On the other hand, if you want to shoot people indoors speed becomes a larger factor. The da 14mm f 2.8 is another choice, particularly if you are shooting people.

04-27-2009, 01:03 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Marc Sabatella's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 10,686
If you're not looking for a fisheye. then you can cross the 10-17 off your list.

I find 40mm a very useful focal length indoors - not for the indoor environment itself, but for the people in it. It's just about right for capturing a candid of one or two poeple with just enough context to establsh where they are or what they are doing. But way too long to capture the setting primarily.
04-27-2009, 05:36 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
TER-OR's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dundee, IL
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,834
Original Poster
That Pentax 16-45mm is also on my short list. Perhaps I'll just buy that, and see how it works. I'm not impressed with the 18-55mm kit lens, it just doesn't seem sharp to me. From what I've read the 16-45mm is a major step up from that, while covering a similar range. I guess that 16mm side would be fine indoors for people and activities. I will be buying a decent flash, too.



The 12-24 seems very nice, but quite pricey. Not that it's not worth the money, granted.

I've read mixed information about the Sigma 10-20, does anyone have personal experience with this?


Oh, the other lens I think I'll buy is the Pentax 18-250 for general outdoor type zoom work. While that FA 100mm takes very nice shots outdoors, having the zoom option is so flexible.
04-27-2009, 07:56 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
blackcloudbrew's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cotati, California USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,816
Well, I have the DA 40 and DA*16-50, but I find that my best indoor lens is the very cheap and very fast FA 50 f1.4.

Tim
04-27-2009, 10:09 AM   #8
Pentaxian
Marc Sabatella's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 10,686
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I'm not impressed with the 18-55mm kit lens, it just doesn't seem sharp to me.
It isn't when used indoors both because it isn't very sharp wide open and because it is hard to get a fast enough shutter speed because "wide open" isn't very wide. But outdoors at f/8 or f/11, it's hard to tell the difference between it and a prime (especially the newer version of the kit lens, anyhow).

04-27-2009, 07:14 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
TER-OR's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dundee, IL
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,834
Original Poster
Thanks lots for the advice. I'll have to give the kit lens a better evaluation outdoors. Inside with ambient lighting and even with the built-in flash it's not very responsive. But that's why the right lens for the job is important.
04-27-2009, 09:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member
res3567's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Houston Tx.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,876
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
That Pentax 16-45mm is also on my short list. Perhaps I'll just buy that, and see how it works. I'm not impressed with the 18-55mm kit lens, it just doesn't seem sharp to me. From what I've read the 16-45mm is a major step up from that, while covering a similar range. I guess that 16mm side would be fine indoors for people and activities. I will be buying a decent flash, too.



The 12-24 seems very nice, but quite pricey. Not that it's not worth the money, granted.

I've read mixed information about the Sigma 10-20, does anyone have personal experience with this?


Oh, the other lens I think I'll buy is the Pentax 18-250 for general outdoor type zoom work. While that FA 100mm takes very nice shots outdoors, having the zoom option is so flexible.
I ordered the 16-45 yesterday.

When it arrives I will do the full compliment of indoor tests and will get back with you.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
40mm, camera, lens, pentax help, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanted: Good value indoor portrait lens Black_ronin Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 30 10-27-2010 09:44 AM
Whats a good indoor/low light photo lens? Jewelz Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 12 11-25-2008 02:46 PM
Lens Advise RussellW Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 07-30-2008 04:30 PM
A Good Prime For Indoor Shots? LodeRunner Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 22 06-21-2007 05:47 PM
Making good indoor shots user440 Pentax DSLR Discussion 13 01-13-2007 06:51 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:15 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top