Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2009, 08:28 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Book on Flash Photography

Hello all,

Been reading the forum for a couple years now and have found it to be a wealth of information. Thanks! First time posting. I've searched the forum for a reccomendation on a book about flash or lighting basics but haven't been able to find anything. I just picked up a Pentax 540 flash here in Canada (amazing price from prodigital2000 which I read about in the forums). I've read the manual and played around a bit over the last 24 hours but I feel I need to learn a bit about the fundamentals of lighting\flash photography. I've checked Amazon and there are quite a few books. Thought I would see if the Pentax users have any that they highly reccomend to a someone who is an enthusiast (ie...no studio or pro shooting going on here). FYI - already have "Understanding Exposure".

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Devin

04-29-2009, 09:54 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Here are some website resources.

http://www.planetneil.com/tangents/flash-photography-techniques/further-pages/ (My favorite)

Strobist

DIY Reflector-Diffuser (I've made two sizes, as shown and one smaller)

ABetterBounceCard.com (Another DIY that I use - compatible with the Planet Neil methods)

Tim
04-29-2009, 07:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

There's a book called "Light: Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting" which is very good. I still haven't had a chance to read all the way through mine yet hectic life.

Additionally, Michael Freeman, one of my favorite authors on the technical side of photography, has a book called "Complete Guide to Light & Lighting in Digital Photography". Unfortunately, it's one of those published by Lark Books, and they tend to do a really sloppy job of editing and layout (particularly bad with captions). Still, the book is worth looking at and it has some great examples.

(Michael Freeman also has a book called "The Photographer's Eye: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos" which is published by the much higher-quality Focal Press. It's not about lighting or flash at all, but since I'm mentioning the author I thought I'd bring it up.)

(Not entirely coincidentally, these three happen to be the three books I put in the book section of the amazon store on my flash guide site.)
04-29-2009, 07:40 PM   #4

Strobist is my favorite, but I will check out the others Tim mentioned. Strobist has a free on-line 101 course that is really worth the time. This site has so much information that it is difficult to imagine needing a separate book, but I do like books. One that was recommended at Strobist was "Minimalist Lighting, Professional Techniques for Location Photography" by Kirk Tuck. It's good, and generally follows the Strobist methods. Strobist is pretty generic as to camera type, while Tuck's book was a bit specific to Nikon/Cannon, but if you know how the Pentax system works that isn't a big problem.

One book to stay away from is the K20D book by Magic Lantern - much of the info is wrong, or a 1/2 way update of the K10D book, and for a reference book it only has a 1 1/2 page index that mostly refers back to other index items.

Matt on this site knows Pentax flash better than anyone I've seen, but hopefully you've read his very helpful posts.
Alan

04-29-2009, 09:06 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks!

Thanks for the info. Checked out the sites and there is allot of great info there. I'll have to sit down with the camera\flash and work through some of it (just had our first baby girl so finding the time and staying awake is the hard part!).

the "Light: Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting" and "The Photographer's Eye: Composition and Design for Better Digital Photos" books were a couple of the ones I saw on Amazon. I may treat myself to one (or both) of those 8-).

FYI - it's not flash related but I've also heard great things about the book "Learning to See Creatively: Design, Color & Composition in Photography (Updated Edition) by Bryan Peterson.

Thanks again for the tips!

Devin
04-30-2009, 02:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AlanR Quote
Matt on this site knows Pentax flash better than anyone I've seen, but hopefully you've read his very helpful posts.
To be clear, I know a lot about the technical "gear" side but am still a very humble student in actual taking flash photographs. I hope I don't come across as otherwise.