Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2009, 09:01 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
What am I doing wrong here ?

I'm trying to shoot some flowers - but I seem to get loss of detail - I first thought the problem was over exposure but the histogram looks OK - the flower heads seem oversaturated & as a result are lacking in detail - what do I do to get around this ? I've tried underexposure but it does not seem to help much. the shot was with K20D & DA 35mm 2.8 limited. The issue seems to happen with all my lenses to a greater or lesser extent
I can use camera raw to adjust saturation to get a pleasing image but surely it must be possible to expose this shot correctly with no need for post processing ?

Attached Images

04-29-2009, 09:39 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Larger images would be more helpful.
Also, what camera settings were you using, aperture, shutter speed, ISO. All this information would help people see what is wrong.
04-29-2009, 11:09 PM   #3

Based on what I'm able to see from your images, you are getting results similar to what I've experienced when shooting deep red flowers; the reds tend to be over-saturated so you don't get the detail in the image that you know should be there.

To avoid this, I deliberately underexpose the roses, azaleas, etc--especially when shooting macro work.
04-30-2009, 06:39 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Yonnie Quote
Based on what I'm able to see from your images, you are getting results similar to what I've experienced when shooting deep red flowers; the reds tend to be over-saturated so you don't get the detail in the image that you know should be there.

To avoid this, I deliberately underexpose the roses, azaleas, etc--especially when shooting macro work.
+1. Reds tend to bloom (sorry for the bad pun) and oversaturate the sensor.
You can check this in camera by setting the histogram to show all three colours and then adjust the exposure as Yonnie says until each colour stops blowing out.

04-30-2009, 07:51 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Even after exposing so the reds don't clip, you might want to dial back the reds a little during post-processing. It sounds like you already know though that this can be addressed somewhat during post-processing...I don't think there's anything you can do at time of shooting except make sure that no channels are clipping.
04-30-2009, 08:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

If you shoot JPEG, I suppose you could experiment with the in-camera saturation and/or perhaps WB controls to keep the reds from clipping. But in generl, highly saturated red flowers are thngs you *should* expect to need to fiddle with. Shoot RAW, underexpose a little, pull back the red saturation and/or apply highlight recovery in PP and readjust levels to get the exposure you want.
04-30-2009, 04:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I've seen the same issue with yellow flowers, always over saturated unless you adjust accordingly.

04-30-2009, 07:51 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
If you shoot JPEG, I suppose you could experiment with the in-camera saturation and/or perhaps WB controls to keep the reds from clipping. But in generl, highly saturated red flowers are thngs you *should* expect to need to fiddle with. Shoot RAW, underexpose a little, pull back the red saturation and/or apply highlight recovery in PP and readjust levels to get the exposure you want.
Ahh ! thanks to all who replied. I'm trying to make correct exposures, without relying on Post processing too much - as a discipline more than anything else. I also thought that maybe the equipment was faulty (Sensor, monitor etc) so now I know its *Normal* to adjust the Reds I'm happy. I have the same problems with yellows too ...

Thanks again
04-30-2009, 08:26 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tybeck Quote
I've seen the same issue with yellow flowers, always over saturated unless you adjust accordingly.
+1 on this one two. Yellow can completely block out if you are not careful with the exposure.

Steve
04-30-2009, 10:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Another thing to keep in mind is that highly saturated colours may well be beyond the gamut of your monitor or printer. Even if they are exposed and captured properly, there may simply be no way to display them without dialing them back somewhat in post-processing.

That there are reds too red, blues too blue, or greens too green to be reproduced by your monitor would not be a fault of the camera.