Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2009, 08:22 AM   #16
Banned

Original Poster
My birthday is in July so perfect timing for a new camera as a birthday gift!

05-27-2009, 10:10 AM   #17
Veteran Member

That's going to be a nice birthday gift!
As for me, I'm just looking for a slightly used or brand new K100D super just to tide me over till I saved up or can finally afford the K7.
05-27-2009, 11:47 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jester_rm Quote

If weather sealing is really important, remember that only the * lenses have weather sealing to match the bodies, and those lenses (while spectacular) are more expensive than non * alternatives...
Ah, but the new WR kit lenses (18-55mm and 50-200mm) are now listed as "Coming Soon", so more affordable wx. sealed lenses are
on their way. About time too.
05-27-2009, 05:29 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Peter,
Since you've now decided on which body you're going to get, I'm going to make a hearty recommendation for the Sigma 17-70 as your first lens, as it'll do everything that you've listed in your original post and it'll do it well--landscapes, nature, people, and closeup. At less than $400 brand new, it's a great value (669109 Sigma 17 - 70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro AutoFocus Wide Angle Zoom Lens for Pentax AF Cameras).

For a reasonably priced telezoom, I don't think anything can beat the DA55-300.

For 1:1 macro, you have a wide variety of choices in focal length--it just depends on how up close and personal you want to get with your flowers. I've used both the DA35 and the DFA100 with excellent results; check the lens subforum and you'll find other good choices there, as macro lenses come up in postings on a regular basis.

One of the neat things about buying your first DSLR is that with all the accessories that you'll need and want for it, gift-recieving occasions like birthdays, anniversaries, and Christmas will just become more opportunities to get more gear. If your family has ever complained that it's really hard to shop for you, then their problems will be solved with a camera gear wishlist from you.

HTH,
Heather

05-28-2009, 09:57 PM   #20

Are you close to a Ritz Camera store? I got mine for $209.00... thinkin' I might get the k-m instead.