Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2009, 04:56 AM   #1
Inactive Account

What lens hood?

I've just got a 100mm F2.8 M lens for my K1000.

What lens hood should I get for this lens?

05-02-2009, 06:02 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hoods are tricky because what one person likes another hates. My personal favorite is the screw in rubber type that fold back. I'd get a 'normal' size the 'telephoto' size I think is too long and the 'wide angle' size doesn't give enough flare protection. The reason I like the rubber fold hoods is that you can leave the hood screwed onto the lens and it doesn't take up too much room in the bag. The good thing about hoods is that they are inexpensive so even a little trial and error on finding the style that suits you and your shooting won't break the bank

NaCl(or leave the spouse threatening divorce)H2O
05-02-2009, 06:20 AM   #3
Site Supporter

I agree with saltwater.
05-02-2009, 06:32 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I'd say that a 100 is a perfect occasion to go ahead and go with a round rigid one, metal or plastic, even most made for tele lenses aren't likely to vignette on you. I have a personal preference for a nice hard plastic one, though it's sometimes a bit hit or miss to come by them. Metal ones are easier to get. (Most smaller sizes made by S&W take a 58mm cap pretty happily.)

Don't get a petal-shaped one for that lens: those in the aftermarket are mostly for wides and zooms with wide: too short to bother with. The rubber kind are convenient, though usually not really as long as they ought to be for a lens like that. (you can get a kind that have three positions, these get plenty long but also tend to have a lot of diameter to them.)

05-02-2009, 10:54 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Pentax made a hood specifically for this lens (well, this one and one or two others shared the same hood), and you can usually find them on Ebay for $20 or so. I've got a collapsible rubber hood, but don't think much of it. It's actually kind of too bulky to want to leave on all the time, and in none of the positions does it seem to do any better thn simply using my hand to shield the lens from the sun. On the other hand, I don't use this lens outside very often, and for concert photography, flare isn't usually an issue for me.
05-02-2009, 12:09 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Pentax made a hood specifically for this lens (well, this one and one or two others shared the same hood), and you can usually find them on Ebay for $20 or so. I've got a collapsible rubber hood, but don't think much of it. It's actually kind of too bulky to want to leave on all the time,
I have one of those three-position ones for a tough-to-fit lens of somewhat bigger diameter: (72mm) I call it 'The Front Porch.' It's *big* though. Makes it look like I'm swinging a movie camera lens around. Works OK, though, (on a 35-105) and you can just kind of foomp it out if it's snowing, keep everything clean till you need wideness.

There are in fact those good Pentax hoods. Square, yes?
05-02-2009, 03:50 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CyrilDavis Quote
I've just got a 100mm F2.8 M lens for my K1000.

What lens hood should I get for this lens?
If you only use the lens on a DSLR, get a hood for 150mm. If you need film as well, then you need a 100mm hood, and should ideally switch to a 150mm hood when shooting on digital.

Of course, the hood on my DA 12-24 or DA* 16-50 or DA* 50-135 are only the ideal size at the wide end, so who am I to quibble.