Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2009, 08:12 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by xjjohnno Quote
Cross threading is more likely to cause a problem then thread wear. Personally I would not worry about lubricating the filter thread and adding the potential for contamination of the lens.
I agree with you on that. The best option for "stuck" filters is a filter wrench or a large rubber band. I have used the rubber band method myself.

05-07-2009, 08:31 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Rubbing the filter thread with paraffin (a candle) and then wiping off any visible signs of it with a cloth or tissue has always worked for me.

Mickey
05-07-2009, 09:15 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mickeyobe Quote
Rubbing the filter thread with paraffin (a candle) and then wiping off any visible signs of it with a cloth or tissue has always worked for me.

Mickey
Soap works, too. I've used it once or twice on lens threads that are particularly 'sticky'. Normally, I don't use any lubricant. I use filters as lens caps. I'm taking them on/off fairly frequently. The advantage is that I don't have to fumble with a lens cap if a sudden photo opportunity appears - I can just shoot through the filter - but if I have the time, they're removed before shooting. Thread wear has never been a problem. I'd avoid lenses or filters with plastic threads - they will cross thread very easily.