Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2009, 06:50 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Is the SD card slot sealed? (K200D)

Hi, I have had a very disappointing thing happen.

I bought a SanDisk Ultra II SD card from Ebay and it turned out to be fake.

The cards plastic was brittle and has fallen apart.

I have looked into the camera's SD card slot and I can't see any small bits of plastic in there.

Hopefully it broke off in my card reader instead.

My question is, is the card slot of the K200D sealed, or can the small bits of plastic fall through the card slot and into the camera elsewhere?

.-.-.

05-03-2009, 07:32 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm fairly sure the card slot on the K200D is sealed as it is on the K20D so don't think you should have a problem.
05-03-2009, 08:33 AM   #3

The weather seal is on the door, if that's what you're referring to. The OP seems to be asking if the inside of the slot is solid, which I don't think could be answered without either disassembly or the service manual.

Even if plastic made its way inside the camera, I wouldn't be too worried though. Plastic doesn't usually kill electronics, and I can't think of any moving parts that could be damaged there. Well, aside from the card ejection mechanism itself.
05-03-2009, 01:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

This is a typical SD card module. Odds are the one in your K200D is similarly enclosed. It is possible that some bits of plastic made it into your camera body. If so, you should be able to hear it/them rattling around inside if you shake the camera. The only thing I would worry about w/r/t this would be the plastic pieces fouling up the contacts and/or eject mechanism in the SD slot itself. If you are confident that there aren't any bits and pieces left in the card slot you should be good to go...lesson learned

05-04-2009, 06:22 PM   #5

Original Poster
Not really.

The second I got the card I contacted SanDisk, both via Email and on their forum asking them to verify the card was legit as I am aware of the big problem with knock offs. .

I never got a reply.

Then when I went to try and claim warranty on it I finally got a reply from SanDisk saying it was a fake card.

I have had a good look in the SD card slot of the camera and it seems to be clear. As far as I can tell with the torch there seems to be no holes in the card holder slot for bits to slip through, but it is hard to be 100% sure.

My hope is that the bits broke off in the card reader.

I did give the card reader a bit of a shake out when I noticed that the lock slide had fallen out and a few bits came out of the card reader. So fingers crossed.

.-.-.

QuoteOriginally posted by Robert S Donovan Quote

.lesson learned