Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2009, 08:27 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
IR filter covered in greese. :(

Hi, I bought a IR 720 filter to have a go at some IR photography.

It had some dust on it so I gave it a wipe with a brand new Hoya microfiber cleaning cloth.

The filter must have had some grease on the thread or locking ring as I've now smeared an oily residue all over the filter.

Any idea's how to clean this off?

I read the forum and have tried some of the suggestions. (Metho, dish washing liquid, etc). Nothing seems to work?

Is there a trick to this?

.-.-.

05-03-2009, 11:11 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Uh I haven't tried this so use at your own risk but lighter fluid?
05-03-2009, 11:50 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Residual Oil Remover

QuoteOriginally posted by vk4akp Quote
Hi, I bought a IR 720 filter to have a go at some IR photography.

It had some dust on it so I gave it a wipe with a brand new Hoya microfiber cleaning cloth.

The filter must have had some grease on the thread or locking ring as I've now smeared an oily residue all over the filter.

Any idea's how to clean this off?

I read the forum and have tried some of the suggestions. (Metho, dish washing liquid, etc). Nothing seems to work?

Is there a trick to this?

.-.-.
You probably had the lubricant on the threads, plus residue of silicone lens cleaner, environmental oils, cigarette smoke or a combination of all of them on your filter. Try

Residual Oil Remover

Makes camera glass and exteriors look and act as new.
05-04-2009, 05:32 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I think this is impossible.

I've come to the conclusion that it's impossible to totally remove all the dust and oil off the filter.

I tried everything. I even washed the complete filter in the sync with dish washing liquid. Then rinsed with warm water and blow dried with the hair dryer.

So far this gave the best results. But I still found as it dried it left a streak where the water edge dried from.

Trying to use the micro fiber cloth just smeared everything around again and added fine dust.

I have washed the micro fiber cloth too a number of times and let dry.

Out in bright daylight the filter actually looks very clean. But when I use a LED lit Mag Light inside and reflect it off the IR coating you can see the residue.

I do wonder whether any of this really matters as far as picture quality etc too.

Can filters and lenses really be cleaned to perfection?

One other thing I noticed is that even after a reasonably good clean, in bright light with the reflective effect of the black IR filter you could actually see the fine particles of dust floating down on to the surface.

Anyhow, this becomes yet another interesting learning curve for me with DSLR. Keeping your gear clean.
.-.-.