Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-03-2009, 01:52 PM   #1

Help!!! - da 50-135 trouble

I bought a DA50-135mm from a fellow PF user and it doesn't work most of the time. The AF works once in a while but mostly not. I've tried it on a K10D and my K200D and it still isn't auto focusing. Did I get a dud? Both cameras are up to date and all of our other AF lenses seem to work fine. But as soon as I put the 50-135 on, it will auto focus for a little bit and then stop, or not auto focus at all. There was no warranty card or manual in the box that it was sent to me with, so I am afraid I purchased a lens that doesn't work and I am stuck with a dud purchase... Sigh. Alsom if I end up having to pay to get this lens fixed to send it away to pentax, does anyone know how much it would cost me?

/totally freaking out
//dont know what to do HELP

05-03-2009, 04:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like you got a dud. Seems the SMC is sketchy with these lenses. Saw this thread earlier today.
05-03-2009, 05:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Try cleaning the power zoom / SDM contacts on both lens and camera. You can either do this very carefully with a pencil eraser, or some isopropyl alcohol and a microfibre cloth.

I haven't suffered this problem with my 16-50 personally, but I've read of reports from other users of this helping.
05-03-2009, 05:41 PM   #4

Original Poster
I cleaned it all, and I still have issues with it. I hope the fellow Pentax forums member I bought it from will give me the warranty card for it so I can at least get it fixed...

05-03-2009, 10:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by littlebugaboo12 Quote
I cleaned it all, and I still have issues with it. I hope the fellow Pentax forums member I bought it from will give me the warranty card for it so I can at least get it fixed...
Do you think it is still under warranty? Pentax warranty is only one year. I just sent my DA* 50-135 in for the same type of SDM focus problem My warranty is up in a couple of weeks.

Good luck.
05-04-2009, 07:32 AM   #6

Original Poster
I did not receive the warranty card from the person I bought it from off of here, so I guess I am a little hooped without it. I am not even sure if it is under warranty anymore.
05-04-2009, 01:40 PM   #7
Damn Brit

The member you bought it from is a reliable person so I don't think you have been intentionally sold a dud. If you contact that person, I'm sure the warranty card and receipt could be provided.
Failing that, you should contact Pentax, as this is a known problem, they may be prepared to fix it as long as you pay postage.

Good luck.
05-04-2009, 05:30 PM   #8

Original Poster
I am very happy to hear that. I had no doubt that she was reliable, she sent everything so quickly and did everything by the book Hopefully someone will have some insight on how to get the darn thing working if I dont have the warranty card

05-04-2009, 09:29 PM   #9

Hmmm, I tried out a 16-50mm and the 50-135mm and the 50-135mm wouldn't work auto-focus either. I had the zoom in and out and fidget with it before it would focus. Good luck.
05-04-2009, 09:32 PM   #10

Original Poster
It will work sometimes, but not all the time.