Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2009, 03:28 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Takumar 100mm f 3.5 M 42

Greetings from Canada I have just joined and would like to draw the vast experience from the members. I have just obtained the above lense and from the sparse info I have found on the web conclude that it must be rare. The only site that referenced it said that it was made and discontinued in 1957. Has anyone had experience with this lense? Rarity? Quality? Value?
Thanks
Bob M

05-04-2009, 04:06 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Welcome Bob, seeing as you have decided to ask a question as well as introducing yourself, I have moved your thread to Beginners Q&A. Otherwise you might not get an answer.

Enjoy the forum.
05-04-2009, 04:54 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks

Thanks dam brit Im not quite as computer saavy as I would like
Bob M
05-04-2009, 10:31 PM   #4
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob M Quote
Thanks dam brit Im not quite as computer saavy as I would like
Bob M
No problem Bob. There are fairly good descriptions for each forum and there are threads called 'stickies' at the top in each forum.

If you are not sure of where to post, feel free to PM a moderator.

Your lens isn't included in the database here so it must be rare. Perhaps you would like to post some pictures of it here so we can drool over them.

05-04-2009, 11:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Your lens isn't included in the database here so it must be rare. Perhaps you would like to post some pictures of it here so we can drool over them.

Yeah, please. I think I found the site he said mentioned it. Frank Mechelhoff's early Takumar site. There it says very rare and usually expensive.

Well, very rare things are rarely cheap

Early pre-set, very early and odd. 100mm and f 3.5 never carried on like the 105mm or 85mm etc.

Optical quality I'm almost certain is good to excellent or better as almost all Taks are. Value? I've got no idea. I usually deal with stuff to be used with an adapter on digital cameras and given the slowish aperture I'm not sure of the general demand for it. It might be easier to sell a 105mm f2.8 because that's what is popular or an 85mm f1.9

Of course, I could be really wrong and the lens may be worth " a lot". Thankfully for users though all the Taks are still really reasonably priced given their amazing build quality.

Regards,
Mike
05-04-2009, 11:23 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The lens only down side will be flare because of the early single coatings. I personally did not have the 100/3.5, but my camera was the 1957 model with the 55/2.2 preset lens. It would flare some with the sun in the picture, but is not as bad as made out. I suspect that on a DSLR, the lens might have a lot of chromatic aberration and purple fringe problems. The telephoto I picked a bit later was the 135/3.5 preset, and I did not notice too much problem with flare, but I have always been anal about using lens hoods.
05-05-2009, 04:51 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Takumar 100mm f 3.5 m 42

Name:  IMGP2227_1044.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  28.7 KBThanks a lot ,there certainly is a weath of info on this site Im glad I found it.I have a feeling I may drive you nuts with questions.
05-09-2009, 03:39 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Takumar 100mm f 3.5 continued

Did anyone want a better picture or pictures of the lense than the one I already posted? Maybe it should be posted in the data base.Can anyone walk me through how to send pictures to the gallery? Thanks Bob