Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
04-14-2010, 11:42 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Not sure what you mean by this. Did you physically damage the aperture lever by changing lenses too roughly or something like that? There's nothing special you need to be do differently when switching between older and DA* lenses - you just need to take the same basic care you always need to take in changing lenses.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 06-08-2010 at 09:20 AM.
04-21-2010, 07:20 AM   #62

Sorry for such a dumb, stupid question. I asked Pentax Support, and they did not gvie an answer.

Here's my dumb question: I'm using an old, but GREAT 50mm 2.0 lens. On my LCD monitor on my K-x when it prompts me to enter the Focal Length, should I enter "50", or convert to digital due to crop factor and enter "75"?
04-21-2010, 09:48 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Enter 50 - the actual focal length of the actual lens you are mounting to the actual camera. Not the hypoethetical focal lens of a lens you don't own that would happen to provide the same field of view if it were mounted to a camera you don't own :-)
04-21-2010, 10:07 AM   #64

Marc, much thanks! !

05-16-2010, 08:36 PM   #65

Manual Zoom Lens

I'm brand new to the world of DSLR but have owned and been shooting an old Pentax MV with several lenses for about 3-4 years. I just bought the k-x model and am excited that I can still use my lenses from my MV. I've read through the instructions and a few threads, but I'm having trouble with my Zoom 80-200mm lens. All the pictures come out black or under exposed no matter what I do. I can slow the shutter speed right down, and use the highest ISO and still black. My other lenses 50mm and 28mm both work great. I'm having trouble only with the Zoom. I've tried different focal lengths but still nothing will show up on the LCD.

I know I just got it today and should be a little more patient but I really like using my zoom lens.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
05-17-2010, 11:03 AM   #66

QuoteOriginally posted by dwalter14 Quote
I'm brand new to the world of DSLR but have owned and been shooting an old Pentax MV with several lenses for about 3-4 years. I just bought the k-x model and am excited that I can still use my lenses from my MV. I've read through the instructions and a few threads, but I'm having trouble with my Zoom 80-200mm lens. All the pictures come out black or under exposed no matter what I do. I can slow the shutter speed right down, and use the highest ISO and still black. My other lenses 50mm and 28mm both work great. I'm having trouble only with the Zoom. I've tried different focal lengths but still nothing will show up on the LCD.

I know I just got it today and should be a little more patient but I really like using my zoom lens.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Have you enabled use of manual lenses via the menu?
What aperture (f-stop) are you using when you get the results? (If it's a manual lens, you must choose your f-stop via the ring on the lens.)
Can you share an image to show us what is happening? It helps us to help you pin down any possible issues.
05-17-2010, 02:41 PM   #67

QuoteOriginally posted by Yonnie Quote
Have you enabled use of manual lenses via the menu?
What aperture (f-stop) are you using when you get the results? (If it's a manual lens, you must choose your f-stop via the ring on the lens.)
Can you share an image to show us what is happening? It helps us to help you pin down any possible issues.

I'd love to show you a picture but it comes out black unless I slow my shutter speed down to at least 1 second. My ISO is at 6400 and my aperture is wide open at 22. I took a picture of a light to show you how dark it is. My 28mm and 55mm work great, I just need to play around with aperture and shutter speed, but I'm getting decent picture quality.

Hope the picture helps illustrate what I mean.

Attached Images

05-17-2010, 02:43 PM   #68

QuoteOriginally posted by dwalter14 Quote
my aperture is wide open at 22
Wide open at 22? It should be the other way around...
05-17-2010, 02:48 PM   #69

sorry, not 22 but 4.5 f stop
05-20-2010, 01:26 PM   #70

QuoteOriginally posted by Dangermouse Quote
Ok, I now have an M 50mm f1.7 en route (attached to a working ME Super and flashgun, total cost £36!)

I may have missed it but has anyone found how to use these all-manual lenses on a K-m/K2000? I would like to try it and see how I get on - if it turns out that I like the results I'll seek out an A version to make life easier.

I've set it to allow photos to be taken with the aperture ring in a position other than "A" but after that I'm stumped!
I second that. I just ordered a manual lens for my k2000, which lacks the green button. Here's a pic of a k2000 from the top

My k2000 is still enroute to me, but if anyone knows how to do it, please don't be shy and let me know!

EDIT: After posting, I googled some and found this:

http://support.pentaximaging.com/documents/455

QuoteQuote:
On the K2000, pressing the Exposure Compensation button (the +/- button) will automatically set an appropriate shutter speed in Manual exposure mode when using non-"A" series lenses.

Last edited by koguma; 05-20-2010 at 01:30 PM. Reason: more info
06-01-2010, 09:05 AM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Robert S Donovan Quote
I'm sure this has been covered many times before but I thought I'd take my own stab at it on my blog. Hopefully this will help all those people who mount up their first M series lens and encounter the dreaded flashing F--

Shooting manual lenses on Pentax DSLRs

I'm no expert on manual lenses so I'm sure you guys will let me know what I missed

Cheers!

Admin edit to sticky - you may also be interested in reading this article: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-camera-articles/100260-manual...ic-lenses.html
Thanks Robert. Very useful info.
06-08-2010, 01:59 AM   #72

Thank you very much !!!!
07-20-2010, 11:31 AM   #73

Very good. I am using K-X with M/A 50mm F2
07-21-2010, 01:41 PM   #74
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Curious if anyone who wears contact lenses have a hard time focusing with manual lens. I love my nifty fifty, but feel like I've missed the focus on a lot of my shots. I suspect I had the diopter setting wrong or my contact lenses were distorting my view. I recently took a bunch of pics of a 10 month old baby but couldn't get the focus right. Probably b/c there was little contrast on the baby's smooth face. I switched to the kit lens and got awful shots b/c I had to use the flash!
07-21-2010, 03:11 PM   #75
Veteran Member

Manual focus can be difficult, but it has nothing to do with contacts - the problem is that the stock focus screen shows too miuch DOF at large apertures, meaning some of what appears in focus in the viewfinder won't be when you take the picture. It helps to practice shooting in situations where you can see this effect easily (like shooting text on an angle) to learn to antiipate it and compensate for it in your shooting.