Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2010, 04:34 AM   #76
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This thread is now deprecated with the addition of this new sticky: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-sc...x-dslrs-f.html

I have still linked to this thread for reference. Unstuck.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-12-2010, 09:22 PM   #77
Oro

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well I still want to thank Robert for writing it!

I mounted my first fixed length lens on both a istDS and istD today and was stumped. The manual(s) were useless on this point as it was never made clear. Before I tore them apart, I logged on here, opened this forum and what is the first thing I see before I even search? Awesome.

As an aside, I could not believe the image difference between an "A" 50mm 1:2 vs. the kit zoom set to 50mm and the same exposure settings. What dramatically different pictures! But focusing on these is not as easy as in the slit-screen days. I can see now why people want auto-focus prime lenses so much.
08-13-2010, 01:04 PM   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Manual focus can be difficult, but it has nothing to do with contacts - the problem is that the stock focus screen shows too miuch DOF at large apertures, meaning some of what appears in focus in the viewfinder won't be when you take the picture. It helps to practice shooting in situations where you can see this effect easily (like shooting text on an angle) to learn to antiipate it and compensate for it in your shooting.
That explains it! I have noticed that effect in my images and thought it was the lens or my ability to focus or even my aperture settings. So now I know the reason for the focusing screens people are always installing. I thought i didn't need that due to having so many come out so well until I started trying to get good images from a fast 135, 200 and 300 mm lenses along with attempting low light with a 50 1.7 none of which have been as in focus as I would like. I compensated somewhat with aperture but I knew something was not correct. Glad to know I am not going blind quickly!! Thank You so much!!
08-13-2010, 10:31 PM   #79

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kacansas03 Quote
That explains it! I have noticed that effect in my images and thought it was the lens or my ability to focus or even my aperture settings. So now I know the reason for the focusing screens people are always installing. I thought i didn't need that due to having so many come out so well until I started trying to get good images from a fast 135, 200 and 300 mm lenses along with attempting low light with a 50 1.7 none of which have been as in focus as I would like. I compensated somewhat with aperture but I knew something was not correct. Glad to know I am not going blind quickly!! Thank You so much!!
Wow, that explains a lot as well. I thought I was just really bad at focusing. But come to think of it, I was never that bad with the film manual.

(edit)
Found focusing screens on ebay, and this link:

http://www.focusingscreen.com/privacy.php?osCsid=a2c26a50cd365bd28bc529f867934029

I can't believe I forgot the split screen focusing screen I used to use in my Minolta..

Last edited by koguma; 08-13-2010 at 11:08 PM.
12-13-2010, 07:42 AM   #80
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Thank you so much Robert for the article. I find it the most comprehensive and informative post on the subject. I'll try your suggestions to find my way out.
01-07-2011, 09:10 AM   #81

"...the stock focus screen shows too miuch DOF at large apertures, meaning some of what appears in focus in the viewfinder won't be when you take the picture."

Thanks a heap, Marc! That goes a long way towards explaining the focusing problems I was having with my old manual 50 near wide open. So it wasn't just the rum eggnog...