Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
06-28-2009, 03:07 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
I"m not 100% sure but I read somewhere that the DA lenses are designed for the latest sensor .Something to do with size. You might get some results by researching on Google. You could try a different section on this forum as this is a "sticky" and people don"t come here regularly. Good luck Boris...

06-28-2009, 08:57 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bluesky123 Quote
Is there a "reverse" tutorial--how (if this is possible at all) to use Pentax DA lenses with older film cameras?
In general, you can't, although there are exceptions. DA lenses are designed for the smaller APS_C format, not 35mm film format. So most DA lenses will vignette - leave the corners of the pictures dark, creating a "tunnel vision" effect. Also, many older film cameras lack the ability to control the aperture of lenses without an aperture ring. You're better off just getting some cheap used lenses for the film camera - my guess is that any instructor particular enough to require film will have some specific recommendations for the lenses too.
09-04-2009, 11:26 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Thanks Robert It was very well written and photographed. But ah yes the flashing.F.the first couple days I kept looking through the manual, til I accidently figured it out...heheh
09-12-2009, 06:30 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jcool Quote
Thanks Robert It was very well written and photographed. But ah yes the flashing.F.the first couple days I kept looking through the manual, til I accidently figured it out...heheh
Glad I could help!

09-29-2009, 09:10 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Thanks for posting the primer on using manual focus lenses. This past weekend after getting my screw mount to k mount adapter from Pentax I re-introduced myself to 3 old friends. A Vivitar 135 f/2.8 and 200 f/3.5 and a Mamiya-Sekor 55 f/1.8. These especially the 55 were the lenses I first learned photography on. They still make nice images, will post some eventually. It's great now that I have these to go along with my kit zoom and my favorite lens the DA 40mm f/2.8 pancake.

What's really cool I think is that after all these years and foray in to Olympus OM system that was stolen in a house beak in and thena Canon AT-1 and and origanl F-1 I fimd myself using these screw mount lenses again on my K110D. I love it.
09-30-2009, 12:02 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Thank you for this. Makes alot more sense to me now.
10-04-2009, 03:54 AM   #22
Inactive Account

Thanks for the great manual for manuals.

I've recently bought a Super Takumar 28/3.5 in m42 mount. The lens has a M/A switch and I'm using it with a genuine pentax adaptor on a K-7. I assumed that "A" would allow the camera to stop down the lens automatically when necessary (metering and exposure), but this doesn't seem to be the case.

In manual exposure mode, hitting the green button does not release the aperture (ie, it's always wide open). The shutter does not release the aperture either, so "A" is in essence the "wide open" setting. All the guides I've read suggest that the camera should release the aperture at least for the shutter press.

Is this the crippled K mount phenonemon (I thought it was only for metering)? I actually enjoy using "M", but having the option of using "A" would be nice.

Adam

10-04-2009, 04:09 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Photong Quote
I've recently bought a Super Takumar 28/3.5 in m42 mount. The lens has a M/A switch and I'm using it with a genuine pentax adaptor on a K-7. I assumed that "A" would allow the camera to stop down the lens automatically when necessary (metering and exposure), but this doesn't seem to be the case.
M42 screwmounts are actually more convenient & more accurate to meter with than the early P/K bayonets. Set your lens to the manual position. Put your camera in AV mode. As you select the aperture you want, the camera sets the shutter speed, visible in the viewfinder. You can lock in the exposure by hitting the exposure lock button, which will hold that locked in exposure through multiple shots as long as you keep your finger halfway depressed on the shutter button between shots. At least this is how it works with mt *ist DS. Perhaps some other forum member can chime in to confirm or deny the validity of this method on other models. The only downside is that you have to remain at that stopped down f stop to shoot. If your selected f stop is too dark to allow accurate focusing in some situations, you might want to focus before you meter. Unfortunately, this method can't be used with the manual K mounts, as the lens meters at the widest aperture setting, no matter which f stop you think you've chosen.
10-09-2009, 06:51 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Photong Quote
Is this the crippled K mount phenonemon (I thought it was only for metering)? I actually enjoy using "M", but having the option of using "A" would be nice.
You'll notice the pin on the back of your m42 lens, if you push that in while it's set to auto the lens will stop down, and open up when you release it. The pin is the equivalent of the lever on later K lenses. Digital (and probably late film) cameras have no way to depress this pin, which is why you have to manually set aperture on a m42 lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by raymeedc Quote
Put your camera in AV mode. As you select the aperture you want, the camera sets the shutter speed, visible in the viewfinder ... The only downside is that you have to remain at that stopped down f stop to shoot. If your selected f stop is too dark to allow accurate focusing in some situations, you might want to focus before you meter.
Yip, my K200D works the same way. I focus and compose, then stop down if necessary. I found that some m42 lenses require more or less exposure compensation wide open (or stopped all the way down) than they do around f8. It just takes some getting used to. If that's the price for using 40+ year old great lenses it's certainly a small one.
10-20-2009, 08:09 PM   #25
Inactive Account

i'm not sure if i'm reading this wrong, but i'm going to have a go at it anyway.

i just recently picked up a k-7. i have a whole slew of pentax lenses acquired over my years of shooting and needed to figure out how to override the frustrating flashing F--

usually, before shooting with these lenses i hit the digital preview button (one of the things i <3 about digital photography!) to assess composition, exposure, focus etc.. then i will take the shot once i'm happy enough with the shot. i do end up taking some shots stepped up and stepped down just to ensure that post-prod is a breeze (as i'm still playing around (happily) with my camera)

the digital preview button is on the camera's on/off switch - it's that weird aperture-blade-like image beside the ON part of the switch. i figured out the usefulness of this feature back on my istDS.
10-21-2009, 04:23 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thalweg Quote
the digital preview button is on the camera's on/off switch - it's that weird aperture-blade-like image beside the ON part of the switch. i figured out the usefulness of this feature back on my istDS.
Ah, right. I've never used it for digital preview, but have it set to depth of field preview instead... of course, that renders it largely redundant with M42/Screw mount lenses as you're already stopping them down manually.
10-24-2009, 08:12 AM   #27
Inactive Account

'A' mode, if you shoot wide open anyway.

QuoteOriginally posted by Robert S Donovan Quote
My preferred method for shooting my M series Takumar 135mm f/2.5 is to shoot in Aperture priority mode (Av). The metering functions just like it would with any other MF lens and I can use EV compensation like I normally would. The main potential drawback is that the lens is always shot wide open- despite what the setting on the aperture ring may be. For me this is less of an issue as I typically like to shoot wide open anyway.
Wow. it is for me!
I typically like to shoot wide open anyway.
11-05-2009, 01:46 PM   #28

Ok, I now have an M 50mm f1.7 en route (attached to a working ME Super and flashgun, total cost £36!)

I may have missed it but has anyone found how to use these all-manual lenses on a K-m/K2000? I would like to try it and see how I get on - if it turns out that I like the results I'll seek out an A version to make life easier.

I've set it to allow photos to be taken with the aperture ring in a position other than "A" but after that I'm stumped!
12-26-2009, 10:14 AM   #29

I read your blog about using the "SMC Pentax-M 1:1.7 50mm" lens on K-7 but I'm having trouble getting it to work on my k-x.

I turned on Sr before powering down, but when I reboot with legacy lens i get the dreaded "f---" flashing. I checked the menu to see if Sr is on it automatically shut it self off. On top of that I can't manual edit the focal length because it is greyed out.

ummmm , help please!

Thanks!
12-26-2009, 11:37 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jhilla Quote
I read your blog about using the "SMC Pentax-M 1:1.7 50mm" lens on K-7 but I'm having trouble getting it to work on my k-x.

I turned on Sr before powering down, but when I reboot with legacy lens i get the dreaded "f---" flashing. I checked the menu to see if Sr is on it automatically shut it self off. On top of that I can't manual edit the focal length because it is greyed out.

ummmm , help please!

Thanks!
I don't have a K-x, but have you selected Enable Aperture Ring?