Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2009, 03:01 PM   #1
Veteran Member

*istDS, DS2, or DL???

I am on the market for a really inexpensive camera just to tide me over till I really upgrade to a very expensive one.
I toyed with the idea before of a K10D, K200D, but if I buy this now then it chews a big chunk out of my funds as I am saving up (still for a couple of months) for the flagship models.
So, here is the question, which among the *ist models if I where to find one is the better of them all excluding the very first *istD?
Although I see a lot of the DL's being sold on the forum's "marketplace."
What are the pros and cons?

05-05-2009, 03:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

They don't have shake reduction, but the *ist DS and DS2 have pentaprism viewfinders. Of course they're older so they're also a little bit slower, but then again nothing beats that 6MP Sony CCD sensor. I owned an *ist DS and the LCD was a bit on the small side (it's the only one that only has a 2 inch, the rest have 2.5) but other than that it was a great camera.
05-05-2009, 05:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I know they don't have shake reduction but they go around for just $200 less nowadays.
If I get a K100D/super then I will have to shell out at least $300 for the same type of sensor..then as I contemplate on this I will eventually find that a 2nd hand K10D or K200D would only be around for $375 upwards which is only a couple of dollars more than the K100D super, and before you know it, I'll be spending more than the easily expendable $200 below that I orignally allotted.
05-06-2009, 07:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
I know they don't have shake reduction but they go around for just $200 less nowadays.
If I get a K100D/super then I will have to shell out at least $300 for the same type of sensor..then as I contemplate on this I will eventually find that a 2nd hand K10D or K200D would only be around for $375 upwards which is only a couple of dollars more than the K100D super, and before you know it, I'll be spending more than the easily expendable $200 below that I orignally allotted.
You are the model of wisdom and restraint. He easily senses the inevitable path and initially anyway, chooses to avoid such path.

Father, teach us all the ways of your world so that we to may hope to someday avoid the temptations of camera buying addictions and the joys it does hold.

05-06-2009, 07:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Gerry,

I think you know exactly what you are doing and it seems like you've done your research. I also have the *Ist DL (besides the K10D) and that 6MP sensor is just great!

I tried to buy the K100Super but the price difference was indeed very steep. The one thing I hated about the DL was the SD-only cards... since I've had all these 8Gb cards already in hand... BUT with the Bios update, I can read any SD/SDHC card on my DL.

Anyways, coming back to your original question, DPReview has this "comparison tables" and you can select these 3 cameras and check side-by-side what the differences are. I did this when choosing which *Ist to buy, and IIRC the DL was the smallest of the group or something like this.
05-06-2009, 09:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nowhere Matt Quote
You are the model of wisdom and restraint. He easily senses the inevitable path and initially anyway, chooses to avoid such path.

Father, teach us all the ways of your world so that we to may hope to someday avoid the temptations of camera buying addictions and the joys it does hold.
LOL!
Because I know one thing for sure that I am an accessories addict and once I have the camera, I will do an endless buying of lenses and accessories.
It's ok to have the accessories and lenses as I can use it once I upgrade to a higher end camera.
Looking at hindsight, at least I would have spent only $200 less on a camera I would later relegate to a shelf camera or 2nd camera.
05-06-2009, 09:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well BBear, I actually have done some research but it still invaluable to know the experiences of the members who have actually used them.
Almost most of the research I can get from the net are numbers or spec differences.
Actually, I would still think that the original istD is the best, lacking only in the large LCD screen for preview.
Thanks for the feedbacks and hope others will still chime in with their once great experience with these cameras.

05-06-2009, 10:28 AM   #8
Banned

I love my DL but I'm looking to upgrade to SR and possibly more MP in the very near future. I'm falling into the trap you describe after only a couple of months. I may have a camera for sale soon.
05-06-2009, 10:49 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Gerry, check out your local Ritz stores. I just picked up a K100D Super for $250 this past weekend. Therefore, I'll be selling my 2 month old DL. If you can get below $300, I'd go with something with shake reduction.

I've also read reports on DPR of people finding K10D's at Ritz for around $300, though I think I'd stick with the 6mp CCD. The IQ is really great from that sensor.
05-06-2009, 10:51 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My first DSLR was the DS. I passed up on upgrading to the K100D because I found the pentaprism to be much much brighter than the penta mirror on the K100D. The DL has a penta mirror, so if I was you I'd compare the difference in brightness in the VF of the two if at all possible. I've forgotten what separated the DS from the DS2 other than a slightly bigger real lcd. If the DS2 supports HSM (in lens focus motor) I'd definitely get the DS2 otherwise I don't think there is much to chose between the two. However, both the DS and the DS2 are superior to the DL in my book.

NaCl(penta prism is much better viewing instrument than a penta mirror)H2O
05-06-2009, 11:28 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
My first DSLR was the DS. I passed up on upgrading to the K100D because I found the pentaprism to be much much brighter than the penta mirror on the K100D. The DL has a penta mirror, so if I was you I'd compare the difference in brightness in the VF of the two if at all possible. I've forgotten what separated the DS from the DS2 other than a slightly bigger real lcd. If the DS2 supports HSM (in lens focus motor) I'd definitely get the DS2 otherwise I don't think there is much to chose between the two. However, both the DS and the DS2 are superior to the DL in my book.

NaCl(penta prism is much better viewing instrument than a penta mirror)H2O
From what I've read, I agree with this too..plus the fact the the DS/2 has 11 point AF while the DL/2 has 3 point and 5 point wide AF respectively.

Oh and why is your name "Saltwater?"

Last edited by GerryL; 05-06-2009 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Additional text
05-06-2009, 11:30 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
Gerry, check out your local Ritz stores. I just picked up a K100D Super for $250 this past weekend. Therefore, I'll be selling my 2 month old DL. If you can get below $300, I'd go with something with shake reduction.

I've also read reports on DPR of people finding K10D's at Ritz for around $300, though I think I'd stick with the 6mp CCD. The IQ is really great from that sensor.
Thanks for the info but I don't have a very near Ritz outlet near me. From where I live it is better to check the local pawnshops!
05-07-2009, 04:58 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I did the same thing a couple of years ago. Bought a used *ist DS to tide me over until a new model offered enough of an enticement to make a larger investment worthwhile, meanwhile building & adding to my system of lenses & accessories which will also, of course, be applicable to any newer Pentax body. None of the subsequent models have thus far been enough to tempt me as of yet until now..... If advance reports are a true indication of the new model's attributes, I'll probably get a K7 within the coming year or so, when the prices have dropped to a reasonable rate. Until then, I'm perfectly satisfied with my DS, intending to hold onto it as a second knockaround body after my newer acquisition is well in hand.
(P.S.-The DS2 is exactly the same as the DS, with a slightly larger rear LCD screen, & relatively difficult to locate on the used market, as it was only manufactured for a very short time)
05-08-2009, 01:36 AM   #14
Veteran Member

My first DSLR was a DS which I purchased when it had already been out for about 1-2 years. It was at the end of it's production cycle when the K100/110's were coming out. I've used the DS for a good 2-3 years and only recently (a couple weeks ago) did I finally upgrade to the K20D. The DS is really a great all-around camera. I like the pentaprism, 11-point AF, and AA batteries (which can be a pro or con depending on how you look at it.) Ergonomics are great and it's simple to use. If you shoot RAW, you'll definitely get the most out of the camera.

Even with my new K20D, I still love using my DS and always bring it out as a second body. I'm going to keep it until it dies on me

Whichever camera you get your hands on, I would say stick with it, buy a couple starter consumer lenses then think about investing in high quality lenses (DA*, Limited, or some classic K-mount manual lenses) if you want to go a step further. Lenses will far outlast the camera and you'll get more enjoyment out of it IMO. That's why instead of upgrading my camera body I just kept saving and got better glass. I never thought I'd spend over a $1000 on a lens when I first started, but once you get a taste of high quality lenses, it's hard to resist

You can check out the link to my photoblog in my signature to view some of my galleries. 95% of the photos in there right now have been taken with the DS.
05-08-2009, 04:26 AM   #15
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Any reason for not wanting the old *ist D?
Probably doesn't matter too much which one you choose.
Crux of the matter: each has the same excellent 6MP sensor.

Features-wise, don't know if the differences are much to write home about, but you know, the *ist D has the 2 e-dials... not as good as on the K10D, as you can't customise the front e-dial to do anything like change ISO, but still probably easier to navigate around than the other *ist Ds.

Then again, I'm biased... I picked up my *ist D with grip for $170 - decent working condition, and have taken some of my best stuff with it... The sensor's a little dirty and hard to clean but it performs really well.