Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2009, 03:15 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The thing that kinda turns me off for the original *ist D is the 1.5" lcd.
All the other things about it are great considering there is also a flash x-sync socket plus the fact that you can get a battery grip for it. It's like a mini-K20D.
As far as being practical, I agree greatly with raymeedc.
Just last thursday, I passed up a chance for a K100D at ebay for just around $200 with the kit lens. At the last minute, I could've won it with just a couple of dollars but went with my better judgement.
It's really great to hear about how rewarding it is to use the *ist DS even if it is already an old model.
For now, I just can't justify spending too much on a camera I would later want to upgrade immediately once a very good offering comes up.
I just must..I must..I must..resist the temptation..ooommmmm (mantra..hehe).

05-09-2009, 01:15 PM   #17

*ist choice

Gerry,
I bought a DS about 3 months ago, and am quite happy with it. I really wanted a DS2 for the larger lcd, and didn't want the pentamirror. I settled on the DS when I found one NEW at Ritz/Wolfe for $250 with the kit lens. Turns out having the warranty was a big plus, as the focus using the viewfinder was not good. Pentax put things right at no charge.
Since then, I've bought 2 more lenses (the DA 50-200, and a A series 50/1.4). But most of the shots to date have been with a Super Takumar 105/2.8 - just a question of the work I've been doing!

Al
05-09-2009, 01:39 PM   #18
AlexD

Re: *istDS, DS2, or DL???

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
I am on the market for a really inexpensive camera just to tide me over till I really upgrade to a very expensive one.
I toyed with the idea before of a K10D, K200D, but if I buy this now then it chews a big chunk out of my funds as I am saving up (still for a couple of months) for the flagship models.
So, here is the question, which among the *ist models if I where to find one is the better of them all excluding the very first *istD?
Although I see a lot of the DL's being sold on the forum's "marketplace."
What are the pros and cons?
Why not the original *ist D?

I am personally very happy with mine, it is a quite small and compact camera with lots of manual controls -- no menu-diving in order to switch to AF-C or set a self-timer, etc..

Image quality is quite good, though, if you shoot JPG expect to be needing to apply a generous amount of sharpening as photos always come out soft. They do however, sharpen up nicely on the computer.

DS is reportedly same straight-out-of the camera soft images, but it is said DL is better in that regard.

What are you going to be shooting most? If long-range wildlife or birds than I'd suggest skipping the *ist D series and getting a camera with shake reduction. While you may think "I'll just up the ISO or take a tripod / monopod", it is much more convenient to use an image stabilizer, I know form my years with a Panny FZ7.

Also, megapixels. Is 6MP enough for you? It can be sometimes lacking when doing heavy crops.

The *ist D does very nicely for macros and "street" stuff, even birds / wildife with proper support.
05-09-2009, 02:12 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I need to get back in the saddle again.
I have been doing photography since the film days and have had the Nikons.
I started with the F1, F2, then F3 and have handled the FM2's, and the FA's.
What I'm almost new with is going digital. As of now, what I mostly use is the Canon S3 IS and my Nokia phone N95..hehe.
I know I have a very good stance and a good hold on the camera from my experience with film.
I mostly used zoom lenses then, specially the tamron 70-210.
I did quite well even on very low light even with the limited full open 3.5 and only ASA 400. At times I pushed the ASA too.
I'm missing photography a lot 'coz work has become too much a part of my life.
I will eventually upgrade but I need something inexpensive but capable for the meantime.
I've done a lot of research as far as going digital too and I know that I will stick with pentax specially with the very good lenses, the 1.5 crop, and in body-stabilization.
For now I just need a tool to sharpen my rusty skills again!

..oh and I very, very seldom do crops, if ever. I usually try to make my frame and composition right even if it takes time.

Last edited by GerryL; 05-09-2009 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Additional text
05-09-2009, 02:44 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Toshi Quote
My first DSLR was a DS which I purchased when it had already been out for about 1-2 years. It was at the end of it's production cycle when the K100/110's were coming out. I've used the DS for a good 2-3 years and only recently (a couple weeks ago) did I finally upgrade to the K20D. The DS is really a great all-around camera. I like the pentaprism, 11-point AF, and AA batteries (which can be a pro or con depending on how you look at it.) Ergonomics are great and it's simple to use. If you shoot RAW, you'll definitely get the most out of the camera.

Even with my new K20D, I still love using my DS and always bring it out as a second body. I'm going to keep it until it dies on me

Whichever camera you get your hands on, I would say stick with it, buy a couple starter consumer lenses then think about investing in high quality lenses (DA*, Limited, or some classic K-mount manual lenses) if you want to go a step further. Lenses will far outlast the camera and you'll get more enjoyment out of it IMO. That's why instead of upgrading my camera body I just kept saving and got better glass. I never thought I'd spend over a $1000 on a lens when I first started, but once you get a taste of high quality lenses, it's hard to resist

You can check out the link to my photoblog in my signature to view some of my galleries. 95% of the photos in there right now have been taken with the DS.
Very nice works Toshi!
Looking at the pictures you took with the *ist DS makes me more sure that I would want one and would be happy on owning one!
I think it would more than suffice for my immediate need now.
I really just have to scratch this itch (of taking photos or wanting to put my hands on a DSLR)!
05-12-2009, 02:39 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My first D-SLR was a *ist DS2 and I still have and generally like it. I'd rather have it or a DS over a DL primarily for the viewfinder. Samsung GX-1S is a DS2 clone, GX-1L is a DL clone.

Another advantage of the DS or DS2 is that they support TTL flash. This may not be a great long-term thing as newer bodies no longer support classic TTL but it does mean that in the short term you can buy good fully-automated flashes for very little $.

Honestly, there are only a few things I like better about the K10D and K20D. I keep coming back to the compact body with Pentaprism viewfinder.
05-12-2009, 02:47 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
My first D-SLR was a *ist DS2 and I still have and generally like it. I'd rather have it or a DS over a DL primarily for the viewfinder. Samsung GX-1S is a DS2 clone, GX-1L is a DL clone.

Another advantage of the DS or DS2 is that they support TTL flash. This may not be a great long-term thing as newer bodies no longer support classic TTL but it does mean that in the short term you can buy good fully-automated flashes for very little $.

Honestly, there are only a few things I like better about the K10D and K20D. I keep coming back to the compact body with Pentaprism viewfinder.
After getting a lot of reading and a lot of feedbacks here, I would like to get for myself a DS2.
The only thing is, they are kinda hard to find and aquire.
There are more DL's or K100D's...and the K100D/K110D's are a little over $300.
I don't want to get something for $300. Heck members here sometimes sell their K10D's for as little less than $400.
That's almost like the price of the K100D/K110D's being sold that I have seen.

05-12-2009, 03:57 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Well, I have a DL and love it. The compact size, control layout, and the colors from that sensor make it a joy to use. I added a split prism screen for manual focusing, and really don't object to the viewfinder at all. I've been thinking about picking up another one and converting it to IR only.

If you can find a DS or DS2, great. It's even better. But I wouldn't discount the DL just because of the pentamirror. It's just not that big of a deal, IMO.
05-12-2009, 04:53 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
Well, I have a DL and love it. The compact size, control layout, and the colors from that sensor make it a joy to use. I added a split prism screen for manual focusing, and really don't object to the viewfinder at all. I've been thinking about picking up another one and converting it to IR only.

If you can find a DS or DS2, great. It's even better. But I wouldn't discount the DL just because of the pentamirror. It's just not that big of a deal, IMO.
From what I have read so far, it is not just about the pentamirror.
The DL only has 3 AF points while the DL2 has 5.
The D, DS, and DS2 all have 11 point AF. That they say makes for better (faster) and accurate AF.
Now, if the *ist D had a 2.5" screen, then it would be the perfect and no brainer choice..but then pentax made each one with some sort of a handicap so you would have to think hard wether you would rather have one or the other.
..now, I wonder if one can attach a back of a DL to the original *ist D?
That would be perfect if someone can do it!
05-12-2009, 05:04 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
From what I have read so far, it is not just about the pentamirror.
The DL only has 3 AF points while the DL2 has 5.
The D, DS, and DS2 all have 11 point AF. That they say makes for better (faster) and accurate AF.
I forgot about the AF differences since I don't use AF at all.

I guess if that's important to you, the choice is clear. Although, most people seem to be using center-point-only focus/recompose, in which case, the number of focus points doesn't matter.
05-12-2009, 07:04 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, you're right about that specially that I have been trained with film cameras and that's how it usually is worked with the film cameras, but I have to find out for myself what kind of options I would really want.
I think it's better to have more of what you need than to look for it later when you find out you actually need it.
Specially now that I am only starting out with the DSLR's.
With what is available now, I think I might end up with the K100D or the K110D although I would really like it much better if I were to get a hold of an *ist DS2!
05-15-2009, 09:53 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Other considerations.

DS may be easier to find than DS2 and they are very similar--one of the few differences is 2" rather than 2.5" LCD.

K100D would have the advantage of SR which none of the *ist D-series bodies have.
If a JPEG shooter, the JPEG engine improved over time, so *ist D was probably the worst and K100D had a very well-regarded JPEG engine.

*ist D is the only Pentax D-SLR that used CF rather than SD memory.

The continuous shooting buffer is a little better in the DS and DS2 than in the D, DL, DL2. Not sure about K100D/K110D.

K100D/K110D allow you to see ISO in the viewfinder by pressing OK.

If you're not using autofocus, and relying on manual focus, you might like the pentaprism viewfinder though it's not required. I see you can get brand new Samsung GX-1S (DS2 clone) with 18-55 kit lens on amazon for $389.
05-15-2009, 01:51 PM   #28
Veteran Member

You should really try to find a ritz. I bought a k100d super for $175 last week from one ofthe stores that is closing. There are also some really good deals in the marketplace on this forum right now. I believe there is a guy asking $225 obo for a new k110. NEW, as in, with warranty.
05-15-2009, 02:56 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
I see you can get brand new Samsung GX-1S (DS2 clone) with 18-55 kit lens on amazon for $389.
This is actually good news but this price is too much for me.
One of the main reasons I wanted an *ist is by how much they only cost now.
I'm still saving up for the newer pentax models but I really want a DSLR now.
I really don't want to spend too much a chunk of what I saved and I will need this affordable (but capable) camera to tide me over.
I will probably keep this first DSLR so I would really want a good one too.
The DS2 also has an addtional "continous" AF too from what I've read.
05-15-2009, 03:29 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
You should really try to find a ritz. I bought a k100d super for $175 last week from one ofthe stores that is closing. There are also some really good deals in the marketplace on this forum right now. I believe there is a guy asking $225 obo for a new k110. NEW, as in, with warranty.
Awwww...I wish I had a Ritz near me!
I keep looking on their online store but they only offer the new pentax models.
The K110D's I think have already been sold.
I guess I just have to take my chances on Ebay or wait for a forum member to finally give up their *ist DS2 for a good and reasonable price.
I see some new offerings (*ist DS at the marketplace) of about $200 for the body only.
Some K100D/K110D are being sold on ebay for $200-250 body only (if you are lucky..and you win!).