Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2009, 08:17 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have stuff on CD's and DVD's for 9 years now and they are just fine. If you don't trust them, then get some archival dvds that are gold plated. They should last longer than anyone we will ever know.
I have 2 Raptor Hard Drives and a external HD for double back-up and I have a on-line storage for my 2 or 3 best of photo's. And copy the places and events photo's I want to remember on DVD also.
Good Luck on whatever you decide.

05-11-2009, 11:07 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
I have stuff on CD's and DVD's for 9 years now and they are just fine. If you don't trust them, then get some archival dvds that are gold plated. They should last longer than anyone we will ever know.
Sorry, no. I've tried them - 2 out of 50 were unreadable within a year. There are tons and tons of discussions/test data that show 'archival' CD/DVD to be no different from standard ones. It's a marketing gimmick.

Have you verified every file on every CD/DVD that you've had for 9 years? I've got some that are going on 15 years that are fine, and others that are toast. The medium is too unpredictable to be used long term.