Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2009, 02:27 PM   #1

F Remote

OK....I know this may be a stupid user issue but I need help. I recently purchased an F remote and upon trying to get it to work was unable to get it to work. Originally I thought it might be simply a dead battery as the light at the end of the remote would not come on when I pushed the button. Regardless I sent it back to the store I purchased from. They returned a new one and now.....same problem. What steps should I be taking to get the remote to activate the shutter button? Should the light turn red, etc when I depress the button on remote. Feel its probably low chance that I was shipped two defective remotes. What easy step am I missing or how can I troubleshoot the problem? Thanks for any feedback/instruction.

05-07-2009, 02:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, you do not say which camera you are trying to use the remote, but anyway, you have to go into the menu/drive/ and pick the remote mode in order to be able to use the IR remote. There are two choices. Instant and 3 second delay.

Also, make sure your new remote has the battery isolator removed. It is a small plastic tab that comes out the battery compartment. Some new remotes have them, some don't
05-07-2009, 05:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
IR remotes also need to point at the front of the camera to work correctly. They're line of sight. Anything blocking this (especially anything metal) will stop it from working.
05-07-2009, 07:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
...and they don't work from very far away. Maybe 30' max. Less in bright sunlight.

05-08-2009, 12:54 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chalion Quote
IR remotes also need to point at the front of the camera to work correctly. They're line of sight. Anything blocking this (especially anything metal) will stop it from working.
If you have a K10D or K20D, there is a receptor on the rear of the camera as well. I suspect that the OP did not change the drive settings to accept the remote. On my K10D
  1. [Fn] button
  2. [Up] to the drive menu
  3. Arrow to on of the two drive settings for Remote use.