Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2009, 02:53 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Is it common knowledge that big SDHC drain the ba...

I bourght a 16GB SDHC card (class 6) well
…whenever have i use for taking 986 pics in a day…?

I deply regret my buy, mostly because batteri are drained
far earliere than I am used to… (4GB, class 6))

So beware folks!

Pentax K10D + BG2
Sentas

05-07-2009, 07:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Not my experience at all. I wonder if others have experienced the same thing you have?
05-07-2009, 08:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
how many pictures did you get from a battery charge with the 16gb card versus using the 4gb cards?

Just wondering how much of a quantitative difference you are seeing. I'm assuming your shooting habits were comparable (not using flash one day, using flash the next with the big card).
05-07-2009, 09:23 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Are you taking into account that the 16g card holds 4x the pics a 4g card will? In other words, the batteries will do 4x the work to fill up that larger card.

05-08-2009, 04:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Without a lot of chimping, my 16GB SDHC card lasts just about as long as a battery charge. This will change as the battery ages and loses capacity. So I always keep an extra charged battery.
05-08-2009, 07:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I've noticed no difference at all in battery life when using 2, 4, 8 or 16Gb cards.
Perhaps there is something wrong with the card itself, maybe there is dirt between the card connectors shortning out the voltage supply leads?

- Bert
05-08-2009, 08:16 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
Not my experience at all. I wonder if others have experienced the same thing you have?
Nope.

05-08-2009, 08:35 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I've never used a 16 gig card, so I don't know if they draw more power or not. I've been trying to keep myself to 2 gig cards. I have a fear of my card going bad and losing a ton of pics.
05-08-2009, 09:02 AM   #9
Inactive Account

I have 4GB 8GB 16GB cards, I travel, so yes, there are reasons why to use 16GB cards as there may be some time before getting back to my computer.

I have great battery usage (K20D with orig Pentax Batteries) regardless of card being used, I still get around 1050-1200 shots per fully charged battery whether I am using 4 or 16GB cards.

I don't use the on-board flash, but sometimes use live view.
05-08-2009, 09:48 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I've never used a 16 gig card, so I don't know if they draw more power or not. I've been trying to keep myself to 2 gig cards. I have a fear of my card going bad and losing a ton of pics.
You're allowed to download 16GB cards before they fill, of course. I've got an 8GB but seldom put more than 2GB on it before downloading. But if you regularly shoot more than 2GB a day, I could see wanting to minimize your risk. But I like having the *option* of putting more files on a card.
05-08-2009, 11:14 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Actually, I'm the same.
I have a few 2gig and one 4gig SDHC card.
It seems to do me.
05-09-2009, 09:24 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For a while I was carefully monitoring battery life on my K10D to try to see if the much lower priced third party batteries were a bargin or not. I averaged about 620 "clicks" on the two "pentax brand" batteries I had and about 350 to 400 clicks on the third party batteries. I found absolutely no difference between using 8gb SDHC and 2 gb standard SD cards. I've always used SanDisk "Ultra" or Extreme II cards. What I did find however is that using the battery grip causes a pretty big hit on batter life. After I finally bought the grip my 620 went down to about 550 or lower and the third party batteries dropped to about half that. What I don't know however, is whether or not turning off the grip separately has any effect. In the beginning with the grip (when I was still closely monitoring battery life) I'd frequently forget and leave the grip on while turning the camera off. In addition I found it much more of a hassle to try and monitor two battery positions rather than just one.

NaCl(my conclusion is that the cheap batteries are worth it...but just barely)H2O
05-09-2009, 09:36 AM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
For a while I was carefully monitoring battery life on my K10D to try to see if the much lower priced third party batteries were a bargin or not. I averaged about 620 "clicks" on the two "pentax brand" batteries I had and about 350 to 400 clicks on the third party batteries. I found absolutely no difference between using 8gb SDHC and 2 gb standard SD cards. I've always used SanDisk "Ultra" or Extreme II cards. What I did find however is that using the battery grip causes a pretty big hit on batter life. After I finally bought the grip my 620 went down to about 550 or lower and the third party batteries dropped to about half that. What I don't know however, is whether or not turning off the grip separately has any effect. In the beginning with the grip (when I was still closely monitoring battery life) I'd frequently forget and leave the grip on while turning the camera off. In addition I found it much more of a hassle to try and monitor two battery positions rather than just one.

NaCl(my conclusion is that the cheap batteries are worth it...but just barely)H2O
The point I was making with my earlier post is that it is going to take a lot more clicks to fill up a 16g card compared to a 2 or 4g card with all other things such as flash and af being equal. To put it another way, filling up one 16g would be equivalent to filling up 4 4g cards. There's no way you can fill up 4 4gic cards and only use the same amount of power required to fill up 1 4g card.

QuoteOriginally posted by bymy141 Quote
I've noticed no difference at all in battery life when using 2, 4, 8 or 16Gb cards.
Perhaps there is something wrong with the card itself, maybe there is dirt between the card connectors shortning out the voltage supply leads?

- Bert
Then you are not filling up the 16g cards. Once again, a 16 gig card will hold more pics than a 4 gig card meaning the camera will be doing 4x the work to fill up that 16g card compared to filling up a 4gig card.
05-09-2009, 10:03 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote

Hey, Salty - I have not noticed any hit on battery life from the grip. Of course I never go out without the grip attached, but I get life along the same lines as Pentax manual suggests as normal. I always turn off the grip unless I am actually using it because my clumsy fingers make the camera do weird things if I leave it on.
05-10-2009, 05:04 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There is no logical reason to believe a large card uses significantly more battery power than a smaller one. However, since a larger card will hold more pictures than a smaller one, you would be writing more to it - which does use power, especially if you are shooting raw.

There is lot more than memory card size that effects battery life. For instance, how long camera stays on before automatically shutting down, how much your lens focuses, how much you use the flash (big one there!), how long the display is set to show results, etc.