Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2009, 09:27 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Need help with K100D

When I first turn my camera on I can take one shot just fine, but when I push the shutter release button the second time I can't see anything through the viewfinder and it keeps clicking like the shutter button is held down. What's wrong? I have the18-55mm lens on it and it doesn't matter which setting it's on either.

05-11-2009, 09:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

What kind of batteries are you using? I've seen reports of this kind of behavior when using partially depleted batteries. It is recommended to use only Hybrid NiMH (such as Eneloops) or Lithiums.

The other possibility is that your camera is in continuous shooting mode and the shutter release button is stuck.
05-11-2009, 10:01 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Batteries are almost new and lithium. I just cleaned the camera and it seems to be doing OK again. Is there any way to clean the inside of a lens? Mine looks like it hac spots on the backside of the glass.
This camera is nice but I think I may be too "old" to use it. My short term memory ain't what it used to be...LOL
05-11-2009, 12:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cathynwv Quote
Is there any way to clean the inside of a lens? Mine looks like it hac spots on the backside of the glass.
Hard to say without seeing it, but most lenses collect a little dust inside over time. It won't affect your pictures at all. If it's fungus, it may still be OK, but best to have it looked at by a professional - you may want to have it cleaned before it gets worse.

QuoteOriginally posted by cathynwv Quote
This camera is nice but I think I may be too "old" to use it. My short term memory ain't what it used to be...LOL
Nahhh. There's no such thing as too old. What was your question again?

05-12-2009, 05:37 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
haha...
I'd like to have a 18-250mm lens. What do you think? I've seen them for $450-$490 and I just can't spend that kind of money on a lens. Can you suggest a less expensive alternative? I have a 2x teleconverter but I've never used it. I have a 18-55mm autofocus, and two manual lens that are 30-70mm and 80-200mm. But, I'd like to just use one lens when I go out and about shooting wildlife, nature and landscapes. May have to invest in a piggy bank and start saving.
05-12-2009, 10:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I've seen the Tamron 18-200 going for about $200-250 new lately. You lose a little on the long end vs. 18-250, but the price is less than half. If you only want one do-everything lens on a budget, that's what I'd pick.
05-13-2009, 09:53 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you have a Ritz Camera in your area that is closing, you *might* still be able to score an 18-250 really cheap. seems people were grabbing thm for $250-$300 last week. But chances are they are all gone by now - I'd imagine most of the Ritz locations that are closing are down to just the dregs by now.

On the other hand, I'll bet a few people went in and bought up stuff they didn't need, intending to turn around and sell it for a small (hopefully!) profit. I wouldn't be surprised to see "brand new in box" 18-250's showing up on the Marketplace here and on Ebay and Craigslist for $300-$350 within the next weke or so.
05-16-2009, 04:08 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I just watched the broken shutter video and that is kind of what mine does when I push the shutter button and I can't see anything through the viewfinder ( it's really dark) and it doesn't do it all of the time. Could it be my memory card? I've never heard of such a thing. I think I'll take it to a camera shop next week and see what they say. What do you think of the Quantra (sp?) brand lens? Should I stick to Pentax, Tamron and Sigma brands? Thanks for all of your help.

05-18-2009, 02:54 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sometimes you can get really lucky by scouring the second-hand shops. I picked up a mint condition Sun 35-200mm lens for $20 at Cash Converters. Normally I wouldn't touch Sun with a bargepole, but I thought, well, I sometimes spend $20 just going out to dinner...As it happens, this lens is as sharp as a razor and produces great colour and b&w. It's a bit heavy, but for $20 I'll do a few more biceps curls in the gym!
05-18-2009, 09:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wombat Quote
Sometimes you can get really lucky by scouring the second-hand shops. I picked up a mint condition Sun 35-200mm lens for $20 at Cash Converters. Normally I wouldn't touch Sun with a bargepole, but I thought, well, I sometimes spend $20 just going out to dinner...As it happens, this lens is as sharp as a razor and produces great colour and b&w. It's a bit heavy, but for $20 I'll do a few more biceps curls in the gym!
Hey, you're giving away all our secrets!

Seriously though, Wombat makes a good point. I've found several exceptional lenses in bargain shops - most are no-name brands. Many people dismiss them, which is why they end up so cheap. A few have been duds, but the really good ones more than make up for them.