Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2009, 05:38 PM   #1

Is this a good deal? Cokin ND filter pack...

I am looking into getting a ND filter system. Do not have any adapter or any filters now so I need to buy the whole thing. I will probably be using these filters with a 50MM prime. Will this system work with my K100D?

New 3 filters & Ring set for Cokin System P Series - eBay (item 110301415473 end time May-16-09 17:53:35 PDT)

I see that it says 52mm adapter is available for my choice. I have a 50-52 ring adapter that I could use, then I would tell the seller that I want the 52mm adapter and it should all work, correct?

05-11-2009, 05:42 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Don't know if it a good deal.

But note that the filters are NOT Cokin.
05-11-2009, 10:04 PM   #3

Original Poster
I just saw that myself. Tricky... I was just browsing the photo filter section of eBay and then filtered my search results by brand and selected Cokin but these are Chinese offshoots, not the real deal. Can anyone recommend a place to buy a Cokin ND filter kit from?
05-12-2009, 10:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Cokin ND filters are not really neutral - they have a slight brown/purple color cast. Lee filters are neutral and fit the Cokin holder, but are more expensive.

05-12-2009, 01:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
DO NOT by immitation Cokin ND filters. Cokin ND filters themselves are not the greatest. I can't imagine what a Chinese copy would be like.

With ND filters, and filters in general, you get what you pay for. It's not an item to skimp on if you are concerned with image quality or expect to get acceptable results.

Just my two cents worth.
05-12-2009, 02:10 PM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm totally with Navcom on this. Just for the heck of it, I bought one of these filters to add to my P system. Totally crap. A so called ND8 gray turned everything a purple tint and even with shots in RAW it was almost impossible to correct the WB.

I use Singh Ray filter most and they are ever better than the Cokin's. But they will cost you $75 plus per filter. You can get the P holder, hoods and adapter rings cheap on Ebay. Just spend the money on good filters.
05-12-2009, 02:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I'm totally with Navcom on this. Just for the heck of it, I bought one of these filters to add to my P system. Totally crap. A so called ND8 gray turned everything a purple tint and even with shots in RAW it was almost impossible to correct the WB.

I use Singh Ray filter most and they are ever better than the Cokin's. But they will cost you $75 plus per filter. You can get the P holder, hoods and adapter rings cheap on Ebay. Just spend the money on good filters.
I'm a Singh Ray filter guy myself. They are expensive, but in this case you really do get what you pay for. I've had way too many bad experiences with cheap filters over the years to even begin to count. Cokin's ND filters, especially the grads, degrade image and color quality.

Just like quality lens glass costs more money, so does quality filter glass.
05-25-2009, 10:36 AM   #8

Original Poster
Well the local camera store was going out of business so I picked up a Cokin ND2 filter for $4 and the filter kit for very cheap too. Can't go wrong for $4.

05-25-2009, 11:12 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good deal but very sad to see another store closing down. There won't be any left soon at this rate.