Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2009, 04:06 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by marius Quote
One more question please. Maybe is a silly question.

Until now I used only AF lenses and done some good prints. By changing to MF lenses will this negatively affects my prints? I mean, will the photo resolution change? I think will be the same resolution right? ...maybe better?
Thanks.
The photo resolution will not change. But it may look like it's changed if your subject is out of focus.
Manually focusing isn't hard, but like Marc S. and Albert (Canadian Rockies) say, it requires practice. Practice is boring. Unfortunately practice is necessary. As you progress in photography, you will find that there will be times when the ONLY way you can get the shot you want is to use manual focus. A split prism focusing screen helps but is not necessary. Here is a link to a series of excercises that I've found to be most helpful in learning how to manually focus effectively. They are boring. But they work.
Re: Is a KatzEye required for those using manual focus?: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

NaCl(exercises are boring, but exercises help you get better)H2O

05-13-2009, 08:21 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
The photo resolution will not change. But it may look like it's changed if your subject is out of focus.

Actually, the resolution can change. I don't think he meant resolution in the pixel count sense, but in the lens resolving power sense.

The resolution may increase due to better sharpness, especially if your camera has front/back focusing issues with AF. It can also decrease if you're sloppy or not used to focusing manually.

Also, with MF, you don't have to deal with fixed focus points. YOU get to put the focus point anywhere in the frame. No more pictures where you thought the camera was focusing on a face, only to find out later that it focused on the tree behind or to the left...

Last edited by OregonJim; 05-13-2009 at 08:27 AM.
05-13-2009, 08:30 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

One more question please. Maybe is a silly question.

Until now I used only AF lenses and done some good prints. By changing to MF lenses will this negatively affects my prints? I mean, will the photo resolution change? I think will be the same resolution right? ...maybe better?
Thanks.
If you use the same image proedures, there should be no change to the output results that are not directly related to the differences in the lens' optics. You may encounter chromatic aberrations an purple fringing that is due to the difference in the coatings from the older lenses, but no other factors should cause you any trouble.

The resolution may, as you suggest, even be better than your present lenses depending on which MF lens you purchase and which AF lenses you currently have. I have no problems with the resolution of my three MF lenses. The old M400 does exhibit quite a bit of chromatic aberration in certain situations. The uses to which I put the M100 macro has not yet shown any really bad CA. I use it only for macro work. I have not yet used the A 70-210 all that much other than to test the lens, but it seems to be quite good.
05-13-2009, 09:48 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

If I'm understanding the question correctly, there is no way to answer it. Some MF lenses are clearly better than some AF lenses, some AF lenses are better than some MF lenses, and lots are close enough that you've never know the difference.

That's sort of like asking, "until now I've only driven red cars and they got pretty good gas mileage - by changing to blue cars, will that negatively affect my gas mileage"?

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 05-13-2009 at 11:05 AM.
05-13-2009, 09:59 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
If I'm understanding the question correctly, there is no way to answer it. Some MF lenses are clearly better than some AF lenses, some AF lenses are better than some MF lenses, and lots are close enough that you've never know the difference.

That's sort of like asking, "until now I've only driven red cars and they got pretty good gas mileage - by changing to blue cars, will the negatively affect my gas mileage"?
I love it! Super analogy, Marc.
05-13-2009, 11:05 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Thanks - notice how I managed to work a car in there? Seems someone was just saying car analogies had no place here :-)
05-13-2009, 11:13 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
That's sort of like asking, "until now I've only driven red cars and they got pretty good gas mileage - by changing to blue cars, will that negatively affect my gas mileage"?
But if you take a picture when a red car and a blue car cross paths, do you get PF?
05-13-2009, 12:11 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
But if you take a picture when a red car and a blue car cross paths, do you get PF?
No, you get flashing red and blue lights on top of specialized automobiles.

05-15-2009, 01:06 PM   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
I'm very impressed with the questions. Thanks very much. I think I have no more questions and I must confess that I'm very attracted by manual lenses. Don't know why...

I have a DA 12-24mm and planing to trade it for some old MF lenses. Not sure what to ask or which MF lenses are worth to be exchanged for my new DA.
Any suggestions?

Thanks.
05-15-2009, 08:09 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I have a DA 12-24mm and planing to trade it for some old MF lenses. Not sure what to ask or which MF lenses are worth to be exchanged for my new DA. Any suggestions?
Gosh, I'm not sure I'd trade in that DA12-24 - it's a wonderful lens and you won't find anything in the MF world to equal it. Even the classic SMC-K/M/A 15mm f/3.5 isn't really any better, IMHO.

Are you looking for something in the same focal length range as the DA12-24, or are you looking for a faster lens, or a longer lens?

One thing to be aware of is that the older zoom lenses tend not to be as good in terms of resolution, distortions and range as the modern ones, but the older primes are often just as good and usually have better build quality than modern lenses (excepting the modern "Limited" lenses).
05-16-2009, 12:32 AM   #26
Forum Member

Original Poster
I'm looking for a faster lens. Maybe three MF lenses:
one for landscape Let's say 24mm F2,8
one macro,
and one >100mm F2,8.

Not sure if I'll find someone who has these lens and would agree with an exchange but I'll try.
05-16-2009, 08:33 AM   #27
Veteran Member

one macro,
and one >100mm F2,8.

Not sure if I'll find someone who has these lens and would agree with an exchange but I'll try.
OK, I'll give it a shot:

Makinon 28/2.8
Promaster AF 100mm/3.5 1:1 macro
Beck 135/2.8
And I'll even throw in a CPC 75-200/4.5 macro zoom and a 2X TC.
05-16-2009, 11:30 AM   #28
Pentaxian

one macro,
and one >100mm F2,8.

Your problem will be declining all the offers. I could offer my Sigma Superwide II 24mm f2.8, Panagor (Kiron) 90mm f2.8 1:1 macro and SMC Pentax 135mm f2.5, all very good manual focus lenses. Together they aren't worth half the current new price of the DA 12-24. I'm not sure there are many MF lens trios that would come close. You'd have to require at least one of your trades to be a Zeiss or Voightlander to come out ahead.
05-16-2009, 12:08 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I look at it this way: 3 lenses that get well used are more valuable than one that doesn't - regardless of "market price".
05-16-2009, 02:00 PM   #30
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Your problem will be declining all the offers. I could offer my Sigma Superwide II 24mm f2.8, Panagor (Kiron) 90mm f2.8 1:1 macro and SMC Pentax 135mm f2.5, all very good manual focus lenses. Together they aren't worth half the current new price of the DA 12-24. I'm not sure there are many MF lens trios that would come close. You'd have to require at least one of your trades to be a Zeiss or Voightlander to come out ahead.
I sent you a PM.