Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2009, 05:30 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A classic example of purple fringing.

05-14-2009, 06:32 AM   #17
Forum Member

Along the same lines: I understand the concept of CA, but I am not sure what it looks like. Any good examples of CA ?
05-14-2009, 09:00 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by meszidik Quote
Along the same lines: I understand the concept of CA, but I am not sure what it looks like. Any good examples of CA ?
Here is some fairly mild CA on a 100% crop from my Vivitar 135/2.8. Note the color fringe on the top edge of the board and (to a lesser extent) a matching fringe on the bottom edge.

Steve
05-14-2009, 05:22 PM   #19
Forum Member

Thanks that helps.

-Mark

05-15-2009, 04:31 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
FWIW, I've never seen PF on film. From what I understand, it is a Bayer-pattern specific phenomenon that is aggravated by certain lenses that are not apochromatic - that is, not all of the color spectrum is focused on the same plane.
I always thought that it was largely sensor related, especially since my K10 shows PF significantly more than my DS, K100S, or K20 -- with the same lenses, shooting similar scenes with very high contrast. I do a lot of this since I'm primarily a bird shooter.

. . .Then I went to my opthomologist to get my eyes checked for possible damage from diabetes. They gave me the drops to dilate my pupils, and until this effect wore off, I noticed significant PF around the flourescent panels in the office, and around the trees against the sky when I went outside. I've had my pupils dilated before, years ago, but had never noticed it -- recently acquired digital photographer's perspective I guess. . .

I asked the Dr at my next appointment, and he said he'd never heard of it, and couldn't explain it. I just don't know enough about it to guess.

My answer to PF in PP is to use the color option in the clone brush in PSP with the opacity at about 25-40%. It's a bit time consuming, but can give great results for important images as it's not just a desaturation which just turns the purple to gray. This also can be used effectively on green/red CA. Just clone the color from an appropriate area from anywhere on the frame.

Scott