Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2009, 10:27 PM   #1
Inactive Account

pentax k200 with f8 600mm telephoto lens

hi, i recently bought a k200 and have been able to fit an old 600mm mirror telephoto lens onto the camera, but i do not know how to tell the camera its a fixed f8 lens???? i am able to get dullish shots when i turn the iso to 400 but anything less than that just comes out black, i would also like to be able to use a faster shutter speed for sports and have bright/clear photos, is this possible

when im using it the shutter speed is shown but f just has this f-- flashing.

05-14-2009, 01:17 AM   #3
Pentaxian

1. set camera to manual focus
2. set camera to AV mode
3 set in custom menu use of aperture ring permitted

Assuming the lens is installed correctly you should be good to go.

f/8 is pretty slow so don't expect too much for this lens as an action stopper.

Mirror lens' will tend to give you rather dull low contrast shots so pump up contrast and saturation in the camera settings.
05-14-2009, 01:17 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by stone84 Quote
hi, i recently bought a k200 and have been able to fit an old 600mm mirror telephoto lens onto the camera, but i do not know how to tell the camera its a fixed f8 lens???? i am able to get dullish shots when i turn the iso to 400 but anything less than that just comes out black, i would also like to be able to use a faster shutter speed for sports and have bright/clear photos, is this possible

when im using it the shutter speed is shown but f just has this f-- flashing.
Well, a lens with a fixed aperture is just that.. A lens with at fixed aperture. The only way you can achieve faster shutter speed is to increase the ISO. You have to remember that F8 is a very slow/dark lens and you'll need a very high ISO to actually achieve a shutter that is fast enough to avoid motion blur on 600mm. Probably you'll end up with ISO 800 or 1600 in most conditions.

Also you can forget about shooting in Tv mode as the camera have no way to alter the aperture for you, in Av you'll just get a probably "not so well working" auto. The only real way to use such a completely manual lens is to get into M-mode and use the green button to meter for you.

05-14-2009, 02:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Also if you have an external hand held light meter, you could use that to get your shutter speed, and then fine tune it with a few shots.
05-14-2009, 05:01 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
cheers

cheers guys, i got the hang of now.
Also can you mount a fisheye lens over the end of telephoto lenses? i.e. so i can take fisheye surf shots from land
05-14-2009, 07:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stone84 Quote
cheers guys, i got the hang of now.
Also can you mount a fisheye lens over the end of telephoto lenses? i.e. so i can take fisheye surf shots from land
Ummm, you can *try* it, but don't expect it to look like anything except a shot from a really crappy 300mm lens.