Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2009, 05:23 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
new firmware for pentax k-m

Can someone explane me how I can put the new firmware in my pentax k-m (mac system)
It's my first camera and never done this before
So if someone could help me I will be very happy

05-14-2009, 07:32 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Go to the Pentax imaging website and follow the instructions, it's quite easy.
Here's a link to the right place on the website; Customer Support - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site

Welcome to the forum.
05-17-2009, 07:10 PM   #3

Original Poster
Well I did download the firmware on my sd card I follow the instructions but when I put my sd card in the camera again and turn on my camera while pressures the menu button its still on the old firmware
What did I do wrong?
05-17-2009, 07:13 PM   #4
Damn Brit

Did you use the Stuffit expander to decompress the file first?
Did you eject the camera from the Mac before unplugging the USB cable?
Did you Format the card first?
What size card were you using?

05-18-2009, 02:33 AM   #5

Original Poster
I dubbel clicked the file and drag file FWDC202B.BIN in the sd card and before that I format the card first
I did eject the cardreader from the Mac before unplugging the USB and used a 4gb card so this must fit on my card
When I turn on my camera while pressures the menu button it shows still the old firmware
The only thing I'm not sure is when I click the file that it used stuffit expander to decrompress the file
Before I click it named FWDC202B.BIN macbinary and after FWDC202B.BIN.cpgz but I try both allready but did't work???
05-18-2009, 03:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roy4core Quote
When I turn on my camera while pressures the menu button it shows still the old firmware
Of course it shows the old firmware if you don't let the camera update it. Don't press the menu button. Just turn the camera on and let it update the firmware. After that you can check fw version by turning on & holding menu button.

Btw I'm still on the original "old" fw, the new doesn't include anything that I need or miss.
05-18-2009, 04:34 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You DO press the menu button as you turn the camera on after copying the firmware to your card, read the instructions on the site for YOUR camera. here you go:

PREPARATION

* You will need a blank, formatted memory card with a capacity of 32 MB or higher.
* You will need your camera's USB cable, or a memory card reader.
* Make sure your battery is fully charged (or that you are using an optional AC adapter) to prevent power interruptions during the update process.

FIRMWARE UPDATE INSTRUCTIONS - WINDOWS

1. Click the Windows link below to download the self-extracting firmware archive file (k2000e110w.EXE). Click SAVE to save the download file to your computer's hard drive. Saving it to your desktop, for example, will make it easy to find after the download is complete. Please note: this download file is not the firmware update file itself, but a compressed archive that must be expanded in the following step.
2. Next, double click the download file to expand it. Once expanded, you will see a readme text file (README.TXT) and the firmware update file itself (FWDC202B.BIN). The readme file contains instructions similar to what you are reading on this page.
3. You must now copy the firmware update file (FWDC202B.BIN) to your camera's memory card. When you connect the camera directly to your computer (or if you use a card reader), the memory card appears as a removable disk drive in the My Computer window. Make sure you are using a blank/formatted memory card, then drag & drop (or copy & paste) the firmware update file (FWDC202B.BIN) from the desktop to your removable disk window, which is the camera's memory card. Please note: You must put the firmware update file (FWDC202B.BIN) directly onto the removable disk; it cannot be in any sub-folders. It must be on the top (or root) level of the removable disk.
4. Now that you have copied the firmware update file (FWDC202B.BIN) to your camera's memory card, you are ready to install it. Make sure your camera is turned off and disconnected from the computer. Make sure that the memory card containing the firmware update file is inserted into your camera. Also, make sure you that you have adequate power in your camera. We recommend you use a Pentax AC adapter to perform the firmware update, but if you do not have a Pentax AC adapter, make certain that your battery has a full charge.
5. To begin the update, turn your camera on while holding down the MENU button. If you have followed the above instructions precisely, the camera will begin to load the new firmware. You will see the message "NOW LOADING" then the camera will display the firmware update menu.
6. Select "YES" using your camera's 4-way controller (the default is "NO") then press your camera's OK button.
7. The camera will now update its firmware. This may take a few minutes, so be careful to not interrupt the process.
8. When the update is complete, you will see "COMPLETE" on your camera's LCD screen. Turn the camera off and remove the memory card.
9. With the memory card removed from the camera, check your new firmware version by turning the camera back on while holding down the MENU button. Before you begin to take pictures again, be sure to format your memory card to erase the firmware update file.

see a readme text file (README.TXT) and the firmware update file itself (FWDC202B.BIN). The readme file contains instructions similar to what you are reading on this page.
3. You must now copy the firmware update file (FWDC202B.BIN) to your camera's memory card. When you connect the camera directly to your computer (or if you use a card reader), the memory card appears as a removable disk drive in the My Computer window. Make sure you are using a blank/formatted memory card, then drag & drop (or copy & paste) the firmware update file (FWDC202B.BIN) from the desktop to your removable disk window, which is the camera's memory card. Please note: You must put the firmware update file (FWDC202B.BIN) directly onto the removable disk; it cannot be in any sub-folders. It must be on the top (or root) level of the removable disk.
4. Now that you have copied the firmware update file (FWDC202B.BIN) to your camera's memory card, you are ready to install it. Make sure your camera is turned off and disconnected from the computer. Make sure that the memory card containing the firmware update file is inserted into your camera. Also, make sure you that you have adequate power in your camera. We recommend you use a Pentax AC adapter to perform the firmware update, but if you do not have a Pentax AC adapter, make certain that your battery has a full charge.
5. To begin the update, turn your camera on while holding down the MENU button. If you have followed the above instructions precisely, the camera will begin to load the new firmware. You will see the message "NOW LOADING" then the camera will display the firmware update menu.
6. Select "YES" using your camera's 4-way controller (the default is "NO") then press your camera's OK button.
7. The camera will now update its firmware. This may take a few minutes, so be careful to not interrupt the process.
8. When the update is complete, you will see "COMPLETE" on your camera's LCD screen. Turn the camera off and remove the memory card.
9. With the memory card removed from the camera, check your new firmware version by turning the camera back on while holding down the MENU button. Before you begin to take pictures again, be sure to format your memory card to erase the firmware update file.
05-19-2009, 01:43 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Hm, strange. The readme I saved before I even bought the camera does not tell to hold menu button. The readme besside the fw file I've just downloaded from the japanese site however does tell to hold the menu button.

05-24-2009, 08:38 PM   #9

I was wanting to download new firmware for my Pentax using my Mac and saw this forum. The instructions from the download site work fine.
The only time the menu button is held down is when the firmware is downloaded into the camera, disconnected from the computer and the camera restarted for updating. I have just done this and the firmware works fine.
05-25-2009, 07:56 PM   #10

Original Poster
I really did read the instruction but still can't get the firmware into my camera
I download stuffit expander and decompress the file than I paste it in my card
If I turn on my camera while hold the menu buton its still the same firmware and if I wait the camera just works his usually way
I think I'm gonna bring it to my dealer
I really don't understand why the firmware is not working but anyway thx for your reply's

regards