Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2009, 10:08 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Taking picture of "wind"

howdy'

I'm trying to figure out ways to best capture windy scenes.

Either "freeze" the scene with a subject that will "show" the wind, a bit like a bride's dress, or hair flying around...

Or slow speed to "blur" the scene with some elements that are frozen (for example, a tree in the wind, where the trunk stay frozen while the leaves move.

Thanks for tips and hints.

This is a small test I did today (not the best example)

---
Max
Flickr: Thesorus' Photostream

05-14-2009, 10:19 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
My first impulse woukd be to find something clearly affected by the wind -- something that wouldn't normally be moving. Think of that famous subway-grate shot of Marylyn Monroe in The Seven Year Itch.

Think of a child chasing a balloon, or laundry flying off a line... something personal.

And the shot probably should be crisp.
05-14-2009, 12:16 PM   #3
Forum Member

Think about all those TV news spots from hurricane/tropical storm areas. What do you always see there?

People walking around leaning into the wind, holding down their hats....

Trees/plants bent over...

sand & water flying around - not sure how to capture this in a photo, maybe something like smoke photography?

Might be a good use for some panning shots too. Motion lines in the background might communicate it well.
05-14-2009, 12:37 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
with film cameras, there was a multiple exposure technique, where you would take any number of shots with each shot difided in exposure by the number of shots in total (using a tripod obviously).

the areas where the wind had no impact would be exposed perfectly with darker and darker superimposed images of things that moved.

You could do the same thing with a strobe, and a time exposure, with multiple flashes at 1/n the power necessary for the complete exposure (n being nimber of flashes)

this is an alternitive to just locking the shutter open to get a blurred image

I imagine you could do the same thing using HDR software and taking many many images as individual layers.

05-14-2009, 02:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
with film cameras, there was a multiple exposure technique, where you would take any number of shots with each shot difided in exposure by the number of shots in total (using a tripod obviously).

The K10D/K20D have that possibility (up to 9 pictures). You can also set the camera to automatically adjust exposure to compensate the multi-exposure, or just go and do it manually.
05-15-2009, 05:31 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I think it depends on the situation. Motion blur can be just as effective as frozen action. In the end, what will work will be up to you and the composition.

Here is a static shot with wind induced motion blur (of the clouds):

And here's a freeze-frame shot: