Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2009, 01:37 AM   #1

Spotmatic vs Other K mount Manuals

i am looking to upgrade to digital, but i also wanted to find a good clean manual film body at the same time. some nice poster suggested that i go with the kx - so i've been focusing on that particular model - solely based on their suggestion. forgive me as i might not be using the proper vernacular but please correct me if i am wrong. also, when framing my questions, please keep in mind, my reference is from using my dads spotmatic.

on the spotmatic when composing a shot, i believe that the lens is wide open and the switch on the side stops the lens down to the chosen aperture setting to take the meter reading. (correct?) when you slide this button, my memory recalls that it does not stay in the stopped down position after release, but returns the lens to wide open.

when using other manuals like the kx, what does the dof switch do and how does this function operate.

also, is the preview through the eyepiece as large and as bright as through the spotmatic on these other manual bodies?

i know that they make screw to k adapters, but i would rather have something more easily compatible when trading lenses back and forth between my digital body and my film body.

thanks again for all your insights.

az

05-15-2009, 03:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The KX is a good camera - I have one - but there are a lot of good K mount Pentaxes... Super Program, Program Plus, ME Super, MX... just to start with. Depends on how much exposure automation you want. Also, the K* series like the KX are the same size as the Spotties, while the ones I list above are smaller, like the Olympus OM that set the trend.

You are correct - most Spotties used the stop down metering method as you mention. However they did feature an automatic diaphragm, ie. the camera stopped down the lens when the shutter fired and then let it open up again for viewing. You only needed to stop down manually to meter. SP-F and ESII featured full aperture metering with SMC Takumars.

The K cameras all feature the full aperture metering. So the switch that was required for stop down metering - if it survived in a camera at all - now functioned only to stop the lens down. Doing so lets you see the DOF at shooting aperture, sort of (the viewfinder screen isn't the same as film).

The KX screen is approximately like those on the Spotties, though I find the finder is very good at popping into focus. Better than the spotties in that respect. And there's a lot of info in there. The best/largest view finder is in the ME Super.

Re. exposure automation - the Program cameras have a program mode with "A" lenses, including current digtal ones. With a non "A" lens these switch to aperture priority. The ME Super is aperture priority. All can be manually metered as well - the regular ME I think doesn't do that bit.

My advice - unless there's a specific look/feel/feature set you are after, just about any Pentax manual focus camera will be excellent, it all depends on what turns up for you, at what price and condition. And maybe even with what lens attached! (I bought a Pgm Plus just because that was the cheapest way to get a SMC-A 28mm)
05-15-2009, 06:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by The WideBody Quote
i know that they make screw to k adapters, but i would rather have something more easily compatible when trading lenses back and forth between my digital body and my film body.
What's so hard about it? You mount the adapter on the camera and just leave it there. I happily and easily swap Takumar lenses back and forth between my K20D, Spotmatic ESII, and SV all the time. I only rarely use K-mount lenses at all.
05-15-2009, 09:24 PM   #4

Original Poster
is it so that the meter is always activated on the kx? whereas the meter only reads when stopped down on the spotties?

thanks for your input.

az

05-15-2009, 09:51 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by The WideBody Quote
is it so that the meter is always activated on the kx? whereas the meter only reads when stopped down on the spotties?

thanks for your input.

az
The film wind lever serves as the meter switch on the KX. Flip the lever out to the "ready" position and the meter is on. Partially depress the shutter release to activate the match needle to take a reading.

You might want to consider a few non-Pentax k-mount bodies as well. The Ricoh XR-2 and XR-2s are solidly built with features and layout similar to the KX, but with the addition of aperture-priority auto-exposure. The Ricoh XR7 is also a good value and is considered to be a bit of a cult classic. These Ricoh models go for less than half the money of a good KX. I got my XR7 for $25 with two zooms. My XR-2s was a little more at $40 with normal lens and a Quantaray zoom.

If you are interested in M42 bodies, there are often good values in screw-mount Mamiya/Sekor and Yashica bodies in excellent condition. And yes, the odd Ricoh Singlex TLS can also often be had for very little money. I have a TLS and a 1000DTL, both in mint condition, and both purchased for under $25 each. There are a couple of forum members that shoot with Yashica and are very fond of them as well.

Your best bet might be to hang out at a camera repair place or used camera place for awhile. The salespeople are generally pretty well-informed and enthusiastic about the old stuff and can show you what to look for in terms of features and such.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-15-2009 at 10:03 PM.