Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2009, 12:52 PM   #1
Inactive Account

laptop to K20D

How to use laptop with K20D and what software do I need.I would like to see the view on the laptop.

Last edited by driver381; 05-15-2009 at 02:33 PM.
05-15-2009, 01:38 PM   #2

Hey Driver...it kind of depends on what you are trying to do???
05-15-2009, 08:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For simple file transfer of photos the laptop should recognise the camera as an external hard drive so no need for software.
05-17-2009, 10:37 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by clmonk Quote
Hey Driver...it kind of depends on what you are trying to do???
I believe he is trying to do "Live View" oon his laptop so that, as he composes and then shoots, he (and a studio filled with observers) can see the composition in progress and the "final shot" on a large 15" LCD monitor (on the laptop) instead of gathering around a 2.5" LCD on the back of a camera.

Can this be done with a simple monitor connected with the HDMI interface or any other method? I also want to know.

05-20-2009, 11:33 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Logics Quote
I believe he is trying to do "Live View" oon his laptop so that, as he composes and then shoots, he (and a studio filled with observers) can see the composition in progress and the "final shot" on a large 15" LCD monitor (on the laptop) instead of gathering around a 2.5" LCD on the back of a camera.

Can this be done with a simple monitor connected with the HDMI interface or any other method? I also want to know.
Thank you for asking the ? in the right way. driver381
05-24-2009, 09:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I haven't actually done this with the K20D (I sometimes plug a CGA monitor into my Sony PNSs) but I read the manuals. Page 191 of the K20D manual is "Connecting the Camera to AV Equipment" - use the supplied video cable to plug into the RCA input jack on any TV, VCR, etc. No software is necessary, but the resolution won't be great.

Then there's the REMOTE ASSISTANT 3 software included with the K20D, or downloadable (with manual) from the Pentax website. Hook up the supplied USB cable, run RA3, and you have LiveView on your laptop. Plug a large high-res monitor into your laptop, and the whole stadium can watch you compose and focus.
05-24-2009, 10:18 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Connecting the camera to a tv with the supplied av cable will show you on the "big screen" exactly what you see on the LCD panel. I just checked it, and the K20d will show live view on the tv. I had it hooked up to an HDTV monitor, so it looked kinda crappy, but it does work. I tried it on an sdtv also with useable results. The grid lines and AF selection points are necessary for the photographer, but would be distracting to those who don't care so much.