Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2009, 01:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

How to find how many shutter actuations...

Hi,
I have a k200d and was wondering how you can check how many shutter actuations have been recorded to date.
Thanks!

05-15-2009, 01:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
depends on what kind of computer system you are using...
05-15-2009, 02:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I use PhotoME. You can download it free.
05-15-2009, 06:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
bit confused... so it's something you check through your comp and not the camera itself?

how would that data be offloaded onto the computer?

btw: using mac os v10.5 & iphoto

05-15-2009, 06:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by esman7 Quote
bit confused... so it's something you check through your comp and not the camera itself?

how would that data be offloaded onto the computer?

btw: using mac os v10.5 & iphoto
AFAK, Pentax DSLRs don't have a way to display total actuations.

On a computer, you "open" an image file in PhotoME, and it displays the data embedded in the file.

Here's a screenshot:

But I just noticed that it supports Windows platform only
05-15-2009, 07:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

PhotoME won't work on the OP's Mac. What is needed is a free download of Graphic Converter. Download and install GC, then open an image shot with your K200D and open the "Show Information" window. Click the ExifTool tab and scroll down until you find the "Shutter Count" listing. You may need to download and install ExifTool if the tab is not available in the GC info window. (ExifTool can do this alone but it's a command line tool and I was never able to figure it out).

NOTE: The best way to ensure this works is to open an image (RAW or JPEG) directly from the SD card so as to ensure the shutter count data is not overwritten by a 3rd party application during download to the computer.

Last edited by Robert S Donovan; 05-21-2009 at 08:05 AM.
05-15-2009, 08:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Robert S Donovan Quote
(ExifTool can do this alone but it's a command line tool and I was never able to figure it out).

$ exiftool imgp3944.jpg | grep "Shutter Count"
Shutter Count : 25360

05-19-2009, 07:18 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I already have so many photo prcessing software.
Photoshop, gimp, lightboxfree, pentax photolab and photobrowser..etc.
That means that I also have to install this?
Oh well!
I guess what I have to do next is to find out which program I use the less and just uninstall it.
All these programs are eating up memory in my laptop!
05-21-2009, 06:13 AM   #9
Forum Member

NOTE: This does not appear to work on JPEG images...only PEF RAW files!
As shown by mattdm's example, this does work with JPEG images. If it doesn't work with yours it is because the information was removed. Photoshop will do this if you edit an image.

- Phil
05-21-2009, 08:02 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boardhead Quote
As shown by mattdm's example, this does work with JPEG images. If it doesn't work with yours it is because the information was removed. Photoshop will do this if you edit an image.

- Phil
True...if you shoot in JPEG. I shoot in RAW and the JPEGs coming out of Lightroom apparently do not contain this information. I later tried shooting a JPEG and found that the shutter count information could be found if the image was opened directly from the SD card and not downloaded into Lightroom as is my usual custom. Alternatively, I suppose you can dig into the image management application's library and find the originally downloaded file. However, if you are using Aperture or iPhoto on a Mac this can get a bit dicey since their file structure can be a bit confusing to navigate.

The safe bet for Mac users seems to be to open an image (any format) as I described above directly from the SD card so as to prevent a 3rd party application from overwriting the data. I will add this to my post above as well.

Thanks!
05-22-2009, 07:26 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
I already have so many photo prcessing software.
Photoshop, gimp, lightboxfree, pentax photolab and photobrowser..etc.
That means that I also have to install this?
Oh well!
I guess what I have to do next is to find out which program I use the less and just uninstall it.
All these programs are eating up memory in my laptop!
The exiftool command line tool should be pretty tiny. This is what I use. Can also be used to update EXIF, for example for stripping out metadata before uploading to the web.
05-22-2009, 07:30 AM   #12
Veteran Member

True...if you shoot in JPEG. I shoot in RAW and the JPEGs coming out of Lightroom apparently do not contain this information. I later tried shooting a JPEG and found that the shutter count information could be found if the image was opened directly from the SD card and not downloaded into Lightroom as is my usual custom. Alternatively, I suppose you can dig into the image management application's library and find the originally downloaded file. However, if you are using Aperture or iPhoto on a Mac this can get a bit dicey since their file structure can be a bit confusing to navigate.

The safe bet for Mac users seems to be to open an image (any format) as I described above directly from the SD card so as to prevent a 3rd party application from overwriting the data. I will add this to my post above as well.

Thanks!
There's a setting in LR to 'Minimize metadata' (or something like that) in the export settings. If you uncheck that I expect data like the shutter count will still be present. It's also easy to find the original--in LR, just right-click on the picture and pick 'show in finder'--look at that file with your metadata-viewing application of choice (if you're using command line exiftool you can drag & drop it into a terminal window) and all the metadata should still be there.

Also Photoshop doesn't necessarily clobber all EXIF but I believe if you use the 'Export for web' function it will.
05-22-2009, 08:34 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
There's a setting in LR to 'Minimize metadata' (or something like that) in the export settings. If you uncheck that I expect data like the shutter count will still be present. It's also easy to find the original--in LR, just right-click on the picture and pick 'show in finder'--look at that file with your metadata-viewing application of choice (if you're using command line exiftool you can drag & drop it into a terminal window) and all the metadata should still be there.

Also Photoshop doesn't necessarily clobber all EXIF but I believe if you use the 'Export for web' function it will.
FWIW, LR strips the Pentax shutter actuation metadata from JPEG exports even if the "minimize metadata" box is left unchecked.

The only reason I suggest pulling the image right off the SD card is to eliminate as many variables as possible that could complicate the process. I went through quite a lot of trial and error before I figured out how to make it work.

EXIFTool is quite powerful but it's a bit of a hairy beast for the typical Mac user. I have been using Macs exclusively for 20+ years specifically to avoid this type of DOS-esque command line computing. If you need EXIFTool's capabilities and are comfortable with its interface then I suppose it is the ONLY choice for certain activities. As it is, Graphic Converter provides a nice GUI for performing the task at hand.
05-31-2009, 03:58 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Would this work on a P&S camera..or would the shutter count only matter if it does have a physical shutter like a DSLR?
05-31-2009, 04:37 PM   #15

Most P&S cameras have physical shutters too, it just may be augmented by switching the sensor for half of the cycle. Not all cameras (even among DSLRs) record the shutter count in a form you can access, though.