Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2009, 02:54 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Firmware Shenanigans

I'm trying to upgrade the firmware in my new (to me) *istD. I'm sure there is a simple mistake I'm making over and over again, but I can't figure it out for the life of me.

I have downloaded the file and unzipped it (on windows and mac). Copied it to my memory card (trying three separate ones ranging from 2GB to 32MB, and every time I turn the camera on while holding the menu button it just tells me the version of the firmware that is currently on the camera (which is 1.00). I've tried copying it to the root and sub-folders just in case. I have no idea what the problem is. it just won't recognize the file on the card. The only thing I can think of is that it needs to be plugged into the power adapter, but I don't have that. So, hopefully that's not the solution.

I'm sure it's something silly, but I really can't think of anything else to try. I would love some help. Thanks.

05-16-2009, 05:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Here's a shot: It might sound elementary but since you said you tried pretty much everything then..why not?
Your CF must be 4GB below. (first firmware doesn't support yet above 4GB)
Make sure you format or reformat your CF in the camera not by PC/computer. (PC may format it differently that camera might not recognize).
The extracted "fwdc112b.bin" is the one you copy to the CF.
I don't know if it would make a difference but make sure you don't copy the "readme.txt" onto the CF.
Make sure it doesn't have any subfolders. Just the "fwdc112b.bin" will be seen when you insert it on the CF reader (if you want to make sure).
Once you are sure.
Turn off the camera..insert the CF..then hold down the "MENU" button before turning it on..then turn it on with your finger still depressing the "MENU" button.
It should load after that..then just follow what it says after.
Hope this helps!
05-16-2009, 05:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

This might be another explanation to your problem that is why I said to format the CF in the camera itself.
Here's something I got from "Wiki" about Compact Flashes:
"There are varying levels of compatibility among FAT32-compatible cameras. While any camera that is claimed to be FAT32-capable is expected to read and write to a FAT32-formatted card without problems, some cameras are tripped up by cards larger than 2 GB that are completely unformatted, while others may take longer time to apply a FAT32 format"
05-16-2009, 05:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Out of curiosity

Is this a new D? If it is where did you buy it? I would assume all stock should be gone by now.
And I hate to state the obvious but it isn't a DS or DL ect?

05-16-2009, 09:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Format a 2GB or smaller card *in the camera*. This will ensure that it's FAT16 instead of FAT32. Copy the .bin file to the root of the card. Turn on the camera while holding the menu button down and it should ask you if you want to upgrade.
05-17-2009, 10:03 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hey, thanks for all the help. I've tried formatting in the camera, and I've used cards as small as 32MB to no avail. This is actually and *istD. It's the original as far I know. Though, maybe it's not the original, and that's what causing the problem. I'll try looking into that a little more.

It was actually given to me. A friend bought it a few years ago and realized he didn't really like photography. So, it's not very new, but I just got it a few months ago.
05-17-2009, 10:08 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Haha, I'm an idiot. It was a *istDL. Thanks for the help. I knew I was doing something simple.
05-17-2009, 02:24 PM   #8
Veteran Member

That was why I actually said CF (Compact Flash) rather than SD memory card.
Those are the obvious differences of the original *ist D from the succeeding *ist DS, DS-2, DL and DL-2.

05-17-2009, 08:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Godeschba Quote
Haha, I'm an idiot. It was a *istDL. Thanks for the help. I knew I was doing something simple.
I win.......... BIG
Glad you got it worked out. Your actually not the first to confuse d's......