Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2009, 03:06 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
K200D: I finally have it!

This is a great day: the K200D is finally on my hands!
I bought the kit with the 18-55 and the 50-200, plus a 4GB Sandisk Extreme III and the LowePro SlingShot 200AW. I'm really happy to see that the 18-55 AL II was provided in the kit. The shop also provided me a theft insurance: nice.

The camera is just great. Easy to use and incredibly fast (I come from a compact camera) and absolutely clear on what the camera is about to do. It's just natural for this camera to get the results I tryed to get with great difficulties... just bips and you have it!
The 18-55 is a really nice lens: in seconds I got better results in close-up shots compared to my +1 and +2 close-up lenses. Also I don't feel the need of my 10x zoom.

I think the best thing I could say in this post is giving a viewpoint from a (ex-)compact camera user. After using the camera for a while I noticed that camera reviews on the net/paper are over-emphasizing small differences between other competitors... they talk of decimals like they were millions!
The JPEG issue they talk about Pentax, well, it's a no-issue at all.
Is the AF slow? As I come from a compact camera, the K200D AF is badly fast: currently I'm the slower part of the camera... maybe, cause of the massive use of compact camera, I automatically choose high constast areas where setting the focus and so it's fast. Half press the button and I have the focus, it takes more to me to realize the camera has just made the focus!
I like the viewfinder (I've ordered the O-ME53, in the meanwhile) and it cannot even compare it to the EVF... it's so clear and sharp that I could adjust the focus by moving myself (talking about close-up shots).

Must I have to say something I don't like about the K200D? I just don't like the factory color settings: the preset saturates colors too much for my taste... but I know I can change them so, again, a no-issue!

Oh! And here it is:

Thanks to all the guys who tolerate my questions during this months... now it's clear that I should not waste so much time before buying this jewel.

Bye
Jenner

05-16-2009, 06:53 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Congratulations Jenner. I'm sure there are going to be more questions though.
05-16-2009, 09:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Hey Jenner, the K200D is a great body. Glad you're getting used to it so quickly. Pick up some Sanyo Eneloop batteries and you'll be all set!
05-17-2009, 11:21 AM   #4
ntx
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
@Damn Brit:
Until now the manual is still answering my questions... ...it's matter of time and I'll start posting again.

@OregonJim:
The Eneloops are on the list... but I think I would upgrade the charger too... LaCrosse RS900?

The K200D learning curve is really fast... in this second day of use I find myself more confident with the camera. I have to get used to the LCD display color response: the one in the S5500 has a compressed dynamics (it's a sort of HDR...) and emphasizes the blues... the K200D LCD is really different: underexposed areas are just dark and there details aren't visible... it seems to have a very little emphasis on greens but the color rendering is very good.

What it's really nice now is my friends using Canon... they say I should pick the K20D, not the K200D... eheheheh... I still didn't guess the purchase!

Bye
Jenner