Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2009, 03:43 PM   #1
Forum Member

Fixed aperture manual lens help

Hi I have a simple question I hope. I have fixed aperture lens on my K10D have the aperture ring set to permitted, the lens is manual focus only. I would like the
Camera to help out in taking a picture. I must have read dozens of posts they tend
To try and cover different scenarios like set the aperture ring to A [don’t have one]
Or step down metering etc.
I have tried but must have missed a step like remove paint from back of lens etc
Would love a 1,2,3,4,5
1. turn camera on set aperture ring permitted turn camera off
2. Turn camera back on set lens size like 500mm etc.
3. Focus lens.
4. What comes next?

Thanks Joe

05-16-2009, 04:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is this lens a mirror lens with no aperture ring whatsoever?

If so, just set the camera to Av mode and it will choose your shutter speed for you automatically.
05-17-2009, 11:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

If by fixed aperture you mean there is only one possible aperture, so there is no aperture ring, then shoot in Av mode; that's all you need. Sure, you need to have already set use of aperture ring to permitted, but you do that once and never change it again. Mount lens, turn on camera, set focal length, turn to Av mode, shoot. Or you can use M mode as described below for lens that have aperture rings - you just can't change the aperture.

If you really mean that it a manual exposure lens - there is an aperture ring and you need to use it to set aperture. If so, then check the sticky thread in this forum on how to use manual lenses. Basically, use M mode, set aperture with ring, hit green button to set shutter speed, then shoot.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 05-20-2009 at 09:39 PM.
05-20-2009, 06:48 PM   #4
Joe
Forum Member

Original Poster
Has no aperture ring.
If everything in life were as easy as this, worked like a charm thank you both.
Joe

05-21-2009, 10:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Well, show us what it can do Joe!

I use my 600mm mirror in Av mode and with enough light it's a really fun lens to use!

Pat
09-01-2010, 12:09 PM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
If by fixed aperture you mean there is only one possible aperture, so there is no aperture ring, then shoot in Av mode; that's all you need. Sure, you need to have already set use of aperture ring to permitted, but you do that once and never change it again. Mount lens, turn on camera, set focal length, turn to Av mode, shoot. Or you can use M mode as described below for lens that have aperture rings - you just can't change the aperture.

If you really mean that it a manual exposure lens - there is an aperture ring and you need to use it to set aperture. If so, then check the sticky thread in this forum on how to use manual lenses. Basically, use M mode, set aperture with ring, hit green button to set shutter speed, then shoot.
Hello. I have a k10d and I dont know how to set use of aperture ring to permitted. Can you tell me how?

eb27
09-01-2010, 01:55 PM   #7
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eb27 Quote
Hello. I have a k10d and I dont know how to set use of aperture ring to permitted. Can you tell me how?

eb27
I don't have a k10d, but it's a selection in one of your menus, so just go through them all and look for "Use Aperture Ring."

09-01-2010, 10:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member

See the sticky thread at the top of this forum for complete instructions on using manual lenses.