Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2009, 07:05 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
HELP! I'm having problems focusing with K20D

Everyone is always so helpful out there, and I have yet another question. When using my K20d, even when 'in focus' indicator comes on my shots are still slightly out of focus. I'm using the SEL setting most of the time. Well, okay, all of the time. I thought that having it set to SEL allowed me to pick where I wanted it to be focused...however I think the camera is picking where it should focus instead of me. I have found that there is a little green light that blinks in a different portion of the screen, does this mean that that's where it's focusing and not where I want it to focus? I know that probably sounds a little silly, but I can't figure out how do I get this camera to focus where I want it to. I'm getting very frustrated.. and need some help. What settings does everyone else use and how do I KNOW where it is focusing and make if focus exactly where I want it to? Thanks a bunch.

05-16-2009, 07:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

It could be any one of several reasons: camera/lens back or front focus, shake, misfocus on adjacent object, etc... Please post a few samples.
05-16-2009, 07:21 PM   #3
Damn Brit

Why don't you post a photo here (including relevant information like aperture, shutter speed, focus setting etc.) so we can try and work out what's wrong.
05-17-2009, 05:31 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
I would really, really like to post some sample shots, but I'm having yet ANOTHER issue. As instructed by my student advisor, I shot in RAW yesterday at a graduation, and installed a trial version of light room in order to process the raw files. It downloaded everything except for the raw files. It's telling me that the files were corrupted and won't download them. Should I start yet another thread to solve this new mystery? My word, this K20D is allot of hassle. Perhaps it's in the care of an amateur but this takes way too much work.

05-17-2009, 05:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

^Have you tried using the Pentax Photo Browser to pull your pics off your camera?
05-17-2009, 05:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

In your situation, I would start by trying to take pictures with center focus point only. You put your main subject in the middle of the frame, focus, then holding half pressed shutter, reframe and then take the picture. After that, check your picture to see if it is sharply focused on a computer screen. If it is, it would eliminate front or back focus and show some lack of experience using the camera. Unfortunately, experience can't be bought, you have to work to get it. When your focus point is set on SEL, you might forget where it is set and aim beside that point. I use SEL mainly in studio, when my "subject" is always in the same location. In most other situation, I tend to use center point to avoid using the wrong point. I hope this help a little bit.
05-17-2009, 11:06 PM   #7
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with flyer's advice, about the focus-then-recompose method. Personally, whenever I use AF, I always use center point.

But what I would really like to encourage you to do is to try manual focusing. I find with my 50mm FA f1.4 the AF on my K20D is almost always off, it is sometimes off with my 12-24, and is almost always bang-on with my 35mm DA f2.8. So I've reached the point where I almost always use MF with all my lenses and I have way more success with properly focusing most of my shots.

I've also disabled the red focus point indicator using the custom functions menu and I tend to ignore the green in-focus hexagon at the bottom of the viewfinder. My eyes are far more reliable focus indicators. Anyhow, there is plenty of advice on how to manual focus if you search this forum.

Oh, and if you think that Pentax AF is problematic and worse than other brands (as some on this forum would like you to believe), check out forums like the ones at dpreview.com and read about all the Canon and Nikon users who also complain about the AF on their units - you'll be surprised! The best bet with any system or lens is to learn how to become a manual-focus expert.

05-17-2009, 11:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Falld5 Quote
I'm using the SEL setting most of the time. Well, okay, all of the time. I thought that having it set to SEL allowed me to pick where I wanted it to be focused...
It lets you specify the general area, not the exact spot. When you move the little red square around, you're saying, "focus somewhere near here", but it might still be a little above. below, or the side of the actual square, because the AF sensors are larger than the squares.

QuoteQuote:
I have found that there is a little green light that blinks in a different portion of the screen
The green hexagon tells you *when* focus has been achieved; the red squares tell you *where* (again, just approximately).

QuoteQuote:
What settings does everyone else use and how do I KNOW where it is focusing and make if focus exactly where I want it to?
I use center point only, and point it where I want to focus, then recompose. It works just fine 99% of the time, despite issues that can come up in rare situations.

But by "just fine", that doesn't mean one can always make the camera focus *exactly* where you want - again, you can just choose the general area.
05-18-2009, 07:00 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JHfwp Quote
^Have you tried using the Pentax Photo Browser to pull your pics off your camera?
Yes I've tried that..still not working. I've been advised by my instructor to contact Adobe as he thought there might be an update that I need in order to pull the shots.
05-18-2009, 07:12 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yes I've tried that..still not working. I've been advised by my instructor to contact Adobe as he thought there might be an update that I need in order to pull the shots.
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
It lets you specify the general area, not the exact spot. When you move the little red square around, you're saying, "focus somewhere near here", but it might still be a little above. below, or the side of the actual square, because the AF sensors are larger than the squares.

The green hexagon tells you *when* focus has been achieved; the red squares tell you *where* (again, just approximately).

I use center point only, and point it where I want to focus, then recompose. It works just fine 99% of the time, despite issues that can come up in rare situations.

But by "just fine", that doesn't mean one can always make the camera focus *exactly* where you want - again, you can just choose the general area.
Everyone is always so helpful out there, and I have yet another question. When using my K20d, even when 'in focus' indicator comes on my shots are still slightly out of focus. I'm using the SEL setting most of the time. Well, okay, all of the time. I thought that having it set to SEL allowed me to pick where I wanted it to be focused...however I think the camera is picking where it should focus instead of me. I have found that there is a little green light that blinks in a different portion of the screen, does this mean that that's where it's focusing and not where I want it to focus? I know that probably sounds a little silly, but I can't figure out how do I get this camera to focus where I want it to. I'm getting very frustrated.. and need some help. What settings does everyone else use and how do I KNOW where it is focusing and make if focus exactly where I want it to? Thanks a bunch.

I think I worded that wrong in my original post...I said green dots when I should have said red 'dots'. I do use the green hexagon on the bottom of my viewfinder to let me know when it's in focus,and I may start to not rely on that as much either. I very rarely use auto focus. I mainly use manual focus, aperature priority.
05-18-2009, 07:15 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
In your situation, I would start by trying to take pictures with center focus point only. You put your main subject in the middle of the frame, focus, then holding half pressed shutter, reframe and then take the picture. After that, check your picture to see if it is sharply focused on a computer screen. If it is, it would eliminate front or back focus and show some lack of experience using the camera. Unfortunately, experience can't be bought, you have to work to get it. When your focus point is set on SEL, you might forget where it is set and aim beside that point. I use SEL mainly in studio, when my "subject" is always in the same location. In most other situation, I tend to use center point to avoid using the wrong point. I hope this help a little bit.

Thanks for this advise...I'll start doing this. Baby steps...
05-18-2009, 10:58 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I do use the green hexagon on the bottom of my viewfinder to let me know when it's in focus,and I may start to not rely on that as much either. I very rarely use auto focus. I mainly use manual focus, aperature priority.
Ah, I think we all assumed you were talking about AF. One thing to know about the green hexagon is that it tends to run a little "late" - meaning it comes on a split second *after* you've achieved focus. Meaning by the time you notice it and stop turning the focus ring, you've probably gone too far. I uise the heaxgon sometimes as a double check *after* I think I've achieved focus, but I don't rely on it *while* focusing.

The other important thing to know about MF with a DSLR is that the focus screens lie when using large aperture ("fast") lenses. The screen is incapable of rendering DOF as shallow as that produced by a 50/1.4 wide open, for example. So there will be areas that *look* in focus in the viewfinder, but turn out not to be in the actual picture - at least, when shooting at apertures f/2.8 and larger. Takes some practice to get used to this and learn to work with it - so you can place your subject in the zone of apparent focus in such a way that it remains in focus in the picture.