Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2009, 06:12 AM   #1

Suitability of Metz flashes

Perhaps my query has been asked and answered before, but I'm new to this forum, and relatively new to photography.
Can someone tell me if Metz 45 (or similar) flashes are suitable for my MZ-M (ZX-M) and P30T cameras, please?
And, if so, are any additional bits and pieces required, e.g. adaptors, leads, etc?

05-17-2009, 10:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by corkcityfcpoolie Quote
Perhaps my query has been asked and answered before, but I'm new to this forum, and relatively new to photography.
Can someone tell me if Metz 45 (or similar) flashes are suitable for my MZ-M (ZX-M) and P30T cameras, please?
And, if so, are any additional bits and pieces required, e.g. adaptors, leads, etc?
The Metz 45 series flashes use the SCA module system. You'll need the SCA adapter number 372 (Metz | SCA 372 Dedicated Module for Pentax | MZ 5492 | B&H Photo).

For newer cameras which support TTL/P-TTL, you'll want the 3072 module instead. (Although you could also use the 372 module on those cameras.)
05-17-2009, 10:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I'm currently using a Metz 45 CT-4 with my K10D (digital) and film cameras (SuperA, MX, ...)

It is complete with flash unit, bracket, battery holder, and sync cord. It has its own light sensor so if you don't need TTL/P-TTL (I don't think it supports P-TTL however), you don't need the SCA dedicated module and associated cord. Set the flash to auto mode, match the ISO and the aperture settings on the flash with those on the camera, set the camera to sync speed or lower. That's it.

The head of the 45 series covers only 35mm angle (35mm format) so for wider lenses, you'll need to get a wide-angle diffuser/panel of some sort.

It's a PITA to replace batteries, so getting a spare battery holder for quick battery change is a good idea. Fortunately, they are relatively inexpensive and plentiful on FleaBay.

What I wish I had is a remove sensor (e.g. Mecamat 45-30), but they are difficult to find these days.
05-17-2009, 10:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
According to the metz web site, having the 372 SCA module would give a few niceties, like the camera knowing when the flash is ready and when the flash thinks it was indeed able to deliver the correct exposure. But yeah, I guess that's not really very important.

08-27-2009, 06:21 AM   #5

Original Poster
Further query on Metz

I recently acquired a Metz 45 CT1.
If I want to use it on my MZ-M (ZX-M) or P30T, I can use a SCA372 adaptor, which is fitted to the hotshoe - am I correct so far?
But if I don't have to use an adaptor, as suggested, how do I connect the flash to the camera?
This may seem an incredibly stupid question to what appears to be a very knowledgeable group of people, but I really don't know.
08-27-2009, 11:57 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Metz flashes of different models may look similar, even the connectors look similar, but they can be very different. Data on older models (e.g. 45CT1) are sketchy, so research before buying anything.

I'm not sure that the 45CT1 can be used with an SCA372. If it can, you'll need a dedicate cord to connect the 45CT1 to the SCA372.

From what I know, the 45CT1 does not work with dedicated module. The connector of the SCA300A dedicate cord fits only the 45CT3/4 and 45CL3/4.

Your 45CT1 should come with a simple sync cord with a pc terminal as in this photo.

The model number of the coiled sync cord is 5520, straight sync cord is 5522.

If your camera has a pc terminal, just plug it in and shoot. If your camera doesn't, you'll need to find an adapter from hotshoe to pc terminal (assuming the flash's trigger voltage is safe for your camera).

But best for the 45CT1 is a Mecamat remote sensor model 45-20. The 45-20 is attached to the camera's hotshoe. Besides providing the sync between the camera and the flash, it does several things:

1. It has a light sensor which takes over the light sensor on the flash body. No matter where the flash is facing, the sensor always faces in front of the camera.

2. The camera has a "normal" and a "tele" (smaller field of view) settings, and a "viewfinder" to accurately aim the light sensor, very useful in macro shooting.

3. It provides power ratio settings in manual (1/1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, 1/64). Without the Mecamat, the 45CT1 has only full power manual.

4. As I remember, the trigger voltage of the 45CT1 is about 180V. You can add a little circuit inside the Mecamat to reduce it to a safe level (you can see the label "7.5V" in the last photos below). I tried to add this circuit to the 45CT1 itself but there was no spare space inside to fit the components.

Used Mecamat 45-20 units pop up for sale once in a while. KEH currently has one LN- grade for only $8 + shipping.

Metz 45 CT1 and Mecamat 45-20, manual settings:

Metz 45 CT1 and Mecamat 45-20, auto settings:

08-29-2009, 09:33 AM   #7

Original Poster
SOldBear,
Thank you very much for your assistance. I'll proceed as you suggested, and report back on my progress.