Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2009, 08:34 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SDHC "lock" tab broken

howdy'

I broke the "lock" tab on my SDHC card, it just disapeared; so the card is now "read-only".

Are there fixes that I can do to my card that will not damage the camera (k200d) ?

Thanks.

Max,

05-17-2009, 08:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
sometimes the easiest fix are ones that you used on old technology. Take a piece of clear tape (scotch or something similar, it should be thin tape) and cover the entire locking section. Like you would have done with your old VHS tapes with the tab taken off. It should work after that.
05-17-2009, 09:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MrApollinax Quote
sometimes the easiest fix are ones that you used on old technology. Take a piece of clear tape (scotch or something similar, it should be thin tape) and cover the entire locking section. Like you would have done with your old VHS tapes with the tab taken off. It should work after that.
No, the read-only switch is electrical, not optical. On most cards, the 'tab' is the actual switch, with integrated carbon contacts. A few cards have a microswitch (the tab is only a lever), in which case some gentle poking with a needle may flip it to the right position.
05-17-2009, 09:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Hmmm... worked for another one of my SD cards. Wouldn't hurt to give it a try in this case. I had thought the switch position was to tell the reader/device not to write to memory.

05-17-2009, 09:15 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
No, the read-only switch is electrical, not optical. On most cards, the 'tab' is the actual switch, with integrated carbon contacts. A few cards have a microswitch (the tab is only a lever), in which case some gentle poking with a needle may flip it to the right position.
My understanding (confirmed by a little internet research) is that the lock tab tell the reader to not write to the card.
IE: it works exactly the same way the lock tab works on a video tape or the write protect words on a floopy disc.
05-17-2009, 09:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

right. the tab exposes/covers a contact that the reader/device uses to indicate if you can write to the card or not like on a VHS tape or floppy disk. That is how I understood it to work as well which is why the tape trick worked for me. Again, either way give it a shot hopefully it works out for you.
05-17-2009, 01:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
My understanding (confirmed by a little internet research) is that the lock tab tell the reader to not write to the card.
IE: it works exactly the same way the lock tab works on a video tape or the write protect words on a floopy disc.
Sorry, my mistake. I was thinking of Memory Sticks, not SD cards. The former do work as I described.

07-14-2009, 08:57 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It would take very thin tape to do the above fix. The memory card goes in quite snug and any extra drag will prevent it from "popping" out. I'd be concerned with the tape ending inside the camera.

My 2 GB Sandisk Ultra II which I've used for years started giving me "Card Locked" occasionally. I'd slide it out and sure enough, the tab had slid back. It started happening more often and I could kick myself for not putting a drop of SuperGlue on the tab when I could. Last night, in my observatory, the tab fell out. Being dark I could not find it so I used my 512K emergency card. Not much space for astro!

Today I found a plastic piece that just fit the inner slot. I glued it in place and cut off the excess. In spite of filing and shaving it just will not pop out and required more dexterity than I can muster to get it out easily. So the 2 GB becomes a second emergency spare and I'll buy another memory card.
07-14-2009, 09:52 PM   #9
Inactive Account

The extreme cards can be a bit pricey but In this case id be careful with adding glue and tape that may effect your camera body. It may be $75 for a new card but hundreds for a new body.
07-15-2009, 05:53 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick SD Quote
The extreme cards can be a bit pricey but In this case id be careful with adding glue and tape that may effect your camera body. It may be $75 for a new card but hundreds for a new body.
You are right, that is why last night I gave up trying to salvage my 2 GB Sandisk Ultra II. It will be used as a spare. Today I went to a camera store and found they only sell one brand: Promaster. I bought 4 GB 158x card. The only problem is I can only use it in the K110D astro camera which had its firmware updated when sent to Pentax for repair. The K100D has good old version 1.00 which does not support 4 GB memory cards, but more importantly it does work with Pentax Remote Assistant. The K110D worked with R.A. until it got upgraded.
07-16-2009, 12:22 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeoTaylor Quote
You are right, that is why last night I gave up trying to salvage my 2 GB Sandisk Ultra II. It will be used as a spare. Today I went to a camera store and found they only sell one brand: Promaster. I bought 4 GB 158x card. The only problem is I can only use it in the K110D astro camera which had its firmware updated when sent to Pentax for repair. The K100D has good old version 1.00 which does not support 4 GB memory cards, but more importantly it does work with Pentax Remote Assistant. The K110D worked with R.A. until it got upgraded.
I had the same problem with my K100D with a new SDHC 4GB card ,but I was advised by a few Pentax Forum members to update the firmware to version 1.02 from the Pentax website.It now works like a charm.
07-16-2009, 09:27 AM   #12

Original Poster
Forgot about this thread...

I tried using a small tape on the card and it failed big time, the tape got stuck in the card slot, and spent at least 15/20 minutes trying to remove the tape from there with tweezers and other means. but I succedded; not something I want to do again. (and don't want to go to the store and tell then that I stuck a piece of tape in the card slot)

Scared to hell to do anything else that will result in camera damage , I decided to just get another card; safer and probably cheaper in the long run.
07-17-2009, 11:10 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Hey, this reminds me. I was sent a broken card with an order a while back, (the protect switch was loose in the box and the card either bent to the point of splitting or just never sealed properly. I was told to just throw it away and a replacement was sent, but.. I still have it. Cause, when I get around to it...

Anyone want a look at what's inside?
07-18-2009, 07:29 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Barnster Quote
I had the same problem with my K100D with a new SDHC 4GB card ,but I was advised by a few Pentax Forum members to update the firmware to version 1.02 from the Pentax website.It now works like a charm.
I wasn't aware that I had a problem.

Th 4 GB card works in my K110D astro camera, the one Pentax upgraded when it was sent in for a user caused repair. It won't work in my K100D because I chose to not upgrade because on occasion I like to use Remote Assistant. The K110D is clicking right beside me since I'm typing from my observatory as the camera records Messier 14.

Soon the ISS will pass over and I will appreciate having a lot of memory space.

I filed the broken tab fix some more and now the card will pop out normally. I still will keep it as a spare. Like Thesorus I don't want any superglue to fall off inside the camera.
07-19-2009, 01:42 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, I had a tab break on a card and after fooling with it for awhile, I just gave up and got another one.