Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2009, 10:03 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PortieOwner Quote
One last question: what is a good lens cleaning kit? I'd like one which is compact, but still has a bulb air cleaner, pen-style brush, good quality lens paper, and liquid lens cleaner.
I'll echo Marc, don't bother trying to find a kit. I got a small Giottos rocket blower, it fits in the outer pocket of my LowePro TLZ. I also got a little dropper of some kind of lens cleaning fluid (whatever was in the store), and the last time I was in a camera store and bought something, they threw in a microfibre cloth (with their logo on it!) for free. Remember the fluid goes on the cloth, not the lens.

QuoteQuote:
I still need a case for my 55-200 lens. I expect to order a Lowepro 1N lens case for it shortly.
I assume you're getting that because you're planning to carry things in a nondescript bag rather than the camera bag, otherwise why bother? A padded camera bag is protection enough, I only put my lenses in cases if I'm tossing them in a backpack.

QuoteQuote:
I am still looking for a more nondescript shoulder/messenger bag which I can use for the camera, and a bottle of water and tour guide.
Keep in mind that cameras and water don't mix! The water should be below the camera in case of leaks, which happen no matter how careful you are, and preferably in a separate compartment in case of condensation.

You said you'd taken lots of photos in the past, I imagine it's all coming back to you very quickly. Enjoy your trip!

Julie

06-03-2009, 11:00 AM   #17
Grusset

QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
Welcome to the DSLR family!
I love my K100D Super. It is a great camera.
When I switched from film to DSLR I started using the Auto Pict mode and played with the ISO setting. (Fn -> right arrow) When in doubt use Auto ISO. If you are shooting in dark places please remember Auto ISO only goes between 200-800. You need to set it manually for 1600 or 3200, and remember to change it back later. After that you can play with other modes like landscapes, portrait, scenes etc.
Another thing you can play with is over and under exposing. If you take a shot and you see it too dark or too bright you can adjust and shoot again. When you press the shutter button halfway to activate focus, if you press the little Av button next to the shutter and turn the thumb wheel while keeping it pressed, you will see a +/- sign in the viewfinder and a number. You can under(darker)/over(brighter) expose from +/- 2.0 in 0.5 increments. Again, please remember to change it back to zero.
For now, forget about RAW pictures. Shoot Jpeg and have fun. Don't bother deleting pictures. Sometimes seemingly bad pictures can later be saved OR can be used as a study case for learning.
Keep shake reduction ON at all times
But the most important tip of all: HAVE FUN!!!!

Thanks,
The default auto-ISO range is 200 - 800, as you say, but this can be changed in the 'Custom Setting' menu (ISO Corction in AUTO). [Not my spelling!]
06-03-2009, 11:54 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I'd say you dont really need a lens cleaning "kit". Most kits sold to newbies are a way to make easy money because they include a lot of stuff that really isnt necessary but it lets them jack up the price. I'd say get a rocket blower for the occasional sensor dust, and a lens pen to wipe off finger prints on your lenses (a microfiber works just as well but I start using them for my glasses as well and next thing I know, I've lost it, the pen just always stays in my camera bag so I won't lose it)

As for a small non-descript messenger bag, look into Domke. They make good quality messenger bags that don't scream "THERES A CAMERA IN HERE". They have plenty to choose from, just find the one thats the right size for your needs (Probably a F-5XB would suit your needs). Some people have also suggested removing the labels on your camera bags (ie. ones that say "lowepro" or "Domke") as some theives might recognize these brands as specialize camera-bag makers.
06-03-2009, 01:26 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Domke are kinda pricey though.
Usually messenger type bags are pricey anyway.
I'm still trying to find a bag that would really suit my needs.
I might end up with 3 bags.
One for travelling (big bag) with all the camera gear in it.
Another one (small) just to have the camera with the (walkaround) lens on.
..and probably a third for a mid-sized bag where I would at least take the camera with a lens on and 2 other lenses just in case.