Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2009, 08:33 PM   #16
Damn Brit

Pick a busy time to demand to see the manager, you can be polite but make sure you speak loudly. If they are reluctant to get the manager, make sure the customers around you can hear you telling them about the despicable way they processed and handled your film.
If it was me, I'd have a couple of friends go in just ahead of me, incognito. At the right moment after overhearing my complaint they would loudly demand their film back.

05-18-2009, 08:40 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Pick a busy time to demand to see the manager, you can be polite but make sure you speak loudly. If they are reluctant to get the manager, make sure the customers around you can hear you telling them about the despicable way they processed and handled your film.
If it was me, I'd have a couple of friends go in just ahead of me, incognito. At the right moment after overhearing my complaint they would loudly demand their film back.
Sneaky, but appropriate. There is NO excuse for someone who claims to be a film developer doing that. I have followed the same manager of one hour photography to her third lab. She makes sure
  1. The lab is scrupulously clean
  2. The chemicals are changed on time
  3. The film is handled carefully
  4. Everyone in the lab wears hair nets
  5. Everyone in the lab wears cotton gloves to handle film.
I have never had a scratch, mark or dust on a roll she processed for me. Another lab she ran is out of business. The new "manager" dirtied one test film for me. I went back, said why I would never use her lab again, and in the presence of the store manager and loudly enough that he could hear. I think your friends trick would be even more effective. BTW that dirty lab is out of business.
05-18-2009, 09:36 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well, I don't have many friends here, mostly family, and they have no idea about film. I'm the photog in the family. Oh, they have their p&s digitals. I think this is part of the problem in the developing of film. Since the popular coming of digitals, our labs haven't processed film enough to remember what they are supposed to or not supposed to do.

I saw no cotton gloves on this lab tech. And looking more closely at the film I see water spots.

I used to take my film to Wal-Mart, and even they never have done this to me. But our Wal-Mart here is miles away and myself having no transporation, it makes it hard to get over there.

And from now on, I'm finding me a real lab. Cause this one s****.
05-18-2009, 10:05 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
I know, but at present I don't have a 50mm on hand. I've used these before, too. In fact, I was telling my sister that if I had one of those on hand, I could show her better those scratches. You must have read my mind, geauxpez.
Well, your 50mm is on it's way, along with some other stuff.

There's no excuse for someone to treat film like that. I think you should demand your money back, as well as a roll or two of replacement film. Heckuva way to do business...

05-18-2009, 10:49 PM   #20
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
I think you should demand your money back, as well as a roll or two of replacement film. Heckuva way to do business...
More than that, suppose these images were important. CVS is a big company and can't afford negative publicity at the moment, they are nationwide now that they have bought Longs Drugs. You wouldn't be out of line if you kicked up a stink at head office. They might be interested to hear that one of their labs isn't being run well. You could even include a link to this thread, that would encourage them to act.
05-18-2009, 10:58 PM   #21
Veteran Member

In my photography class, two or three decades ago, instructor patiently explained benefits to ensure cleaning the spring plate just before loading new film roll, to prevent dust scratches on film.

Certainly return with the negatives, they may run their own test prints to confirm or deny scratches, i.e. scanning issue.

However, that whole image crossing arcing scratch certainly looks like something in film processing. Probably, all you'll get is a refund, maybe a replacement film roll; this is probably described in the legalese fine print on whatever film / print packaging.
05-19-2009, 11:01 AM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well, I went back to CVS and argued with them. They scanned the strip that had the sunflower on it, but when they printed their scan there was no scratch or line in that photo. She also said she couldn't see any scratch marks. And I had to agree with her because, when I looked at the negs in that store, I couldn't find the scratches I saw on that film last night.

So maybe it is my scanner. I'll look into taking it apart to see if there is hairs or dust inside.

05-19-2009, 11:02 AM   #23
Damn Brit

Oh Brother.

At least you know what to do if they do scratch your negs.
05-19-2009, 12:03 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I just checked out my scanner and I can't find any dust (using a flash light) or hairs or anything on the glass or inside the glass either. I scanned a strip and it still shows dust speckles. Wish I had some Edwal film cleaner. Any suggestions on household products I could use?
05-21-2009, 08:55 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I got dust expose to my negs with Costco lab... I can actually see them on my negs and can't remove it.
05-21-2009, 11:44 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You can rest assured it has nothing to do with your mirror as it plays no role when the film is exposed--it is only for viewing through the viewfinder--it swings out of the way before the shutter is opened. Same goes for any dust in the viewfinder--not in the optical path when film is exposed.

I think it is also safe to say that this is not what dirt/scratches on a lens looks like either. Lenses can be badly scratched or filthy and the only effect on the picture might be a minute loss of contrast.
05-22-2009, 12:57 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I shot another roll, this time it's Reala 100. Took this one to Walgreens. Now I have two separate photos I want to show you because in both there is a white spot in exactly the same place. This spot is showing in every frame. The spot is encircled in red. Excuse the lousy photos as this lens I have is manual and it won't move off overexposed.
Attached Images

05-24-2009, 07:15 PM   #28
Veteran Member

that should be easy to spot on the negs... look at them and determine if it's on them.

Those dots are not the same shape however a lot of other 'artifacts' in those scans are similar. I use a flatbed to scan occasionly and it's very hard to keep clean. I clean the glass with a well washed rag (don't use paper/tissues as they leave 'splinters' behind) and use a blower brush on every neg/slide and the glass scanning area before scanning. I still get 'flotsom' on the scans. As I don't do many I just fix in photoshop but if you're doing a heap that can get tiresome real quick!

I'm not familar with your scanner but if you sit the negs in holder above the glass (like my Epson 1650) then you might have to pull it apart and clean the glass from the inside.
05-24-2009, 07:39 PM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I don't believe this is scanner fault. I can scan prints and yesterday I scanned a black shirt and none of those scratches, or spots were on either the shirt scan or print scan. I'm using an Epson Perfection photo 4490.

I was trying to think of some household product I could use the clean the negs with but everything I think of, has negative reasons I shouldn't use it.

So, Monday I'm ordering some film cleaner.

I've taken scanners apart before, but not this one. And as I said, I don't think it's the scanner.......
05-25-2009, 10:57 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
I don't think it's the scanner.......
based on that latest test, I wouldn't think so either. Good luck with the film cleaner.