Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2009, 04:55 PM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can't figure out where this is coming from

I have this new MZ-7. I shot a 36 exposure roll with it yesterday. There are dust or scratches showing on the scanned film. And I can't figure out where it is coming from.

I have cleaned the camera mirrors, I have cleaned the lens glass. I dusted my scanner, and I cleaned the film. Still I get white spots, scratch looking marks on the scans.

I'm not a newbie to cameras or film or scanners. I know how to clean them all.

So below is a photo with the shown problem. I want to know if any of you have any other suggestions what this could be.

Attached Images

05-18-2009, 05:07 PM   #2
Damn Brit

It could have happened when they were processing the film.
05-18-2009, 05:13 PM   #3
Ole
Administrator

Poor processing or scanning in an environment that isn't dust free.
05-18-2009, 05:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

What scanner are you using? Does it has some sort of digital ICE?

Your scanned image looks like many of my color negatives when scanned with an Epson Perfection 3200 with no digital ICE. Scanning with a Nikon Coolscan V ED with digital ICE 'fixed' 90% of the dust problem.

05-18-2009, 05:28 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I did the scanning Ole. But I thought also, heaven forbid that CVS did this to my film. They do hang them out in the open. I hope they were dry before doing that. If this is the case, you bet I'll find another developer. Wish I had proof.

Thanks guys, cause I was racking my brain trying to figure out where that dust and scratches was coming from. Hoping it wasn't minisicule scratches on the mirror or lens.

It's not my scanner SOldBear. I scan photos and my other negs without any problems. I use an Epson Perfection 4490 and it has digital ice.

SOldBear here is a photo from years ago that I just scanned with my Espon, using no digital ice. As you can see, no dust or scratches.
Attached Images

Last edited by photolady95; 05-18-2009 at 05:41 PM.
05-18-2009, 05:31 PM   #6
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
I did the scanning Ole. But I thought also, heave forbid that CVS did this to my film. They do hang them out in the open. I hope they were dry before doing that. If this is the case, you bet I'll find another developer. Wish I had proof.

Thanks guys, cause I was racking my brain trying to figure out where that dust and scratches was coming from. Hoping it wasn't minisicule scratches on the mirror or lens.
Take them back in and ask to speak to the manager. When you show them, I would imagine the reaction will give them away. It may not be where they hang them but how they handle them.
05-18-2009, 05:42 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Should I print one, to show them how the photos look? Hopefully they may have a loupe and/or light box. eh?

Luckily, this was just a test roll and not keeper photos. I would certainly be a lot more mad if these were photos I had intended to sell. I'm so mad I can't even use proper grammer or use correct spelling. grrr!!!

Last edited by photolady95; 05-18-2009 at 05:47 PM.
05-18-2009, 05:45 PM   #8
Damn Brit

Should I print one, to show them how the photos look? Hopefully they may have a loupe and/or light box. eh?

Luckily, this was just a test roll and not keeper photos. I was certainly be a lot more mad if these were photos I had intended to sell.
Yes print one. Have you held the negs up to the light to see if they are visible?
05-18-2009, 05:53 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yeah, but my eyes don't see that well, so I can't really tell.

Another thing I didn't like what they did to give them to me. They didn't sleeve them, rolled em up and put them in a film canister. Arrgh!!!
05-18-2009, 06:00 PM   #10

Photos: Gallery
If the dust is stuck on the negatives, you could probably soak it off in a tray filled with flowing water, like a photographic rinse tray or in a film processing reel and tank. Before doing so, you should check the film manufacturer's web site for processing instructions to determine if any special chemicals are needed, or if the soaking can be done at all. Also, remember that the wet emulsion on the film is very fragile, so handle with care. The wet negatives should be hung in a dust-free place to dry, but I guess you knew that already!
05-18-2009, 06:09 PM   #11
Veteran Member

They didn't sleeve them, rolled em up and put them in a film canister.
This is a crime!
05-18-2009, 06:09 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
It's not just dust, it's scratches also. I held a strip up to the light and I can see scratch lines on the film. Checking, also, I had my sister, who has 20/20 vision and she says she saw the scratches also. If it was just dust, I'd try that. But I think I'll do what Gary said and take the film and a print up to CVS and let the manager have a look see.

And yes, I know about them having to hang in dust free area. I used to process both b/w and color film......back when I had more energy and patience.
05-18-2009, 06:28 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Look at this one. This is the first one I saw this way.
Attached Images

05-18-2009, 06:49 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Look at this one. This is the first one I saw this way.
Ouch. You can use a 50mm prime lens as a good loupe to inspect your film for scratches, dust, etc.
05-18-2009, 07:02 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
I know, but at present I don't have a 50mm on hand. I've used these before, too. In fact, I was telling my sister that if I had one of those on hand, I could show her better those scratches. You must have read my mind, geauxpez.