Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2009, 05:59 AM   #1
Site Supporter

New K20D Owner Questions

I just got my K20D last week, and am really enjoying getting back into SLR photography. I used a manual 35mm camera for nearly 20 years, but stopped a few years ago when the cost of film and processing convinced me to go digital. I bought the K20D based on the great price, features, and reputation. I haven't been disappointed!

I have a few questions for you experts out there:

1) I have a Vivitar 2000 flash that I can use until I can save up enough for an AF360 or AF540. Can someone give me some hints on how to set the camera so that I don't overexpose? I can obviously go all manual and set aperture, ISO, and shutter myself (like the old days), but I was wondering if there was a better way.

2) Is there any way to charge the battery in the camera? I am planning to buy the battery grip, and it seems like a nuisance to have to take off the grip to get to the main battery.

3) I am thrilled with the ability to set white balance manually. Would you recommend a gray card, or one of the WB lens covers?

4) I have a Vivitar 70-210 PK-A/R lens that I would like to use until I can afford a Tamron or Sigma 70-200 f/2.8. Has anyone tried to remove the Ricoh pin and use the lens on the K20D? Any concerns?

5) Any favorites on an LCD cover (to protect from scratches)? I like the covers on the Nikon D90, but haven't seen anything like that for Pentax.

I'm sure I'll have more, but that's it for now. Thanks.

05-19-2009, 06:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
1. the vivitar should work jsut fine but you'll have to set everything manually and let it auto flash, not other way.

2. nope and no, your gonna have to take the grip off to chrge the internal in camera battery, BUT if you set the camera to use grip first you will be doing this alot less than you think.

3. both, but honestly I rarely set WB manually, the presets are close enough.

4. DOn't mess with ricoh pins and K20Ds, trust me they don't play nice.

5. there are gitzo and other tape on lcd covers, I use one, works but not as nice as the nikon flip covers.

now go and enjoy that K20D
05-19-2009, 06:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Torphoto "4. DOn't mess with ricoh pins and K20Ds, trust me they don't play nice."

There have been a few threads on successfully removing the Ricoh pin's, a quick search should give you all the help you will need.

Wal'
05-19-2009, 10:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

3) Or, shoot in RAW with auto WB and correct later in post processing. I have yet to shoot a DSLR that got WB right consistently.

5) I have a 3 year old K10D that has never had any LCD protection and gets treated like the ruggedized camera that it is and my rear LCD does not have a scratch. The top LCD is another matter

05-19-2009, 10:26 AM   #5
klh
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Robert S Donovan Quote
3) Or, shoot in RAW with auto WB and correct later in post processing. I have yet to shoot a DSLR that got WB right consistently.
I will probably shoot in RAW+ most of the time, but would like to get WB as close to correct as possible because I won't have the time to spend in front of the computer except for those really important shots. But for most sports and other family photos, it will be nice to print straight from the original.

QuoteOriginally posted by Robert S Donovan Quote
5) I have a 3 year old K10D that has never had any LCD protection and gets treated like the ruggedized camera that it is and my rear LCD does not have a scratch. The top LCD is another matter
Ouch!
05-19-2009, 10:30 AM   #6
klh
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Torphoto Quote
1. the vivitar should work jsut fine but you'll have to set everything manually and let it auto flash, not other way.
OK, thanks. Good thing I learned how to do that on my film camera. I was hoping I could somehow adjust the EV value enough to compensate, but that really doesn't work.

2. nope and no, your gonna have to take the grip off to chrge the internal in camera battery, BUT if you set the camera to use grip first you will be doing this alot less than you think.

4. DOn't mess with ricoh pins and K20Ds, trust me they don't play nice.

5. there are gitzo and other tape on lcd covers, I use one, works but not as nice as the nikon flip covers.
Thanks for the info.

now go and enjoy that K20D
Yes Sir!
05-19-2009, 11:11 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Here is my recent thread on the Ricoh pin. I did the process described to remove the pin and it was fairly straightforward. Just be careful not loosing the screws.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/59197-how-can-...nned-lens.html

Hope this helps.

Thanks,