Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2009, 03:24 AM   #1

new to pentax using K10D

i am practically new to the DSLR cameras and recently acquired a K10D, i was wondering if there is a macro mode available on the camera with out using a macro lense? please help.

05-20-2009, 03:30 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K10D, K20D and new K7 do not have a macro mode selection. But this mode in some cameras (like the K200D) only assist in exposure. They don't turn a normal lens into a Macro lens. You need to get a lens that can do close ups like the kit lens or a dedicated macro lens like the DFA100 or several other lenses.

You can adjust exposure just as easily in many of the modes on the K10D.
05-20-2009, 07:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
<snip> But this mode in some cameras (like the K200D) only assist in exposure. <snip>
You mean there's a "macro mode" on the K2000? What in the world does it do? (Besides confuse people...)
05-20-2009, 08:16 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by polokia Quote
i am practically new to the DSLR cameras and recently acquired a K10D, i was wondering if there is a macro mode available on the camera with out using a macro lense? please help.
No, you need a macro lens. The ability to do macro photography is a physical property of a lens.

05-20-2009, 08:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by polokia Quote
1:1 Macro (or micro in Nikon parlance) means that a bug that's 5 mm across fills 5 mm of the film or sensor. This is achieved by a combination of focusing close and/or big focal length.
05-20-2009, 09:49 PM   #6
Pentaxian

All that "macro mode" does on a typical P&S camera is tell the AF system that you'll probably want to focus close, so it doesn't waste its time trying to first focus far away. And when you're not in "macro mode", it similarly won't waste its time trying to focus close. Basically, it's just a way of speeding up AF by telling the camera in advance which half of the focus range to use.

Many - but not all - macro lenses for DSLR's have a similar switch (called a focus limiter). So if you have a lens capable of doing macro, you probably have a switch to do this. And if you don't have a lens capable of doing macro, such a switch wouldn't help.

On the other hand, a macro lens isn't the only way to get macro capabilities. You can also use a closeup adapter like the Raynox 150 or 250 in conjunction with an ordinary lens to allow it to focus more closely, as I did here:

And actually, the 18-55 that comes with most cameras can focus pretty close already. It doesn't have a focus limiter switch, but adding one wouldn't allow it to focus more closely - it would just prevent it from focusing closely when you didn't want it to. So to the extent that the kit lens can do something approaching macro, you don't need a special macro mode to allow this - just get as close as you can and shoot! Maximum magnification is obtained by setting zoom all the way to 55mm.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 05-21-2009 at 04:22 PM.
05-21-2009, 05:27 AM   #7

Marc,
That is an excellent explanation. Thanks for the clarifications as I, too, have wondered about this.
05-21-2009, 04:23 PM   #8
Pentaxian

BTW, one other thing a macro mode might do is set the aperture small (high f-stop value) to give you lots of depth of field. But you don't need a "macro mode" for that, either - just use Av mode and set the high f-stop yourself - assuming you *want* large DOF.

05-21-2009, 09:21 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
All that "macro mode" does on a typical P&S camera is tell the AF system that you'll probably want to focus close, so it doesn't waste its time trying to first focus far away. And when you're not in "macro mode", it similarly won't waste its time trying to focus close. Basically, it's just a way of speeding up AF by telling the camera in advance which half of the focus range to use.

Many - but not all - macro lenses for DSLR's have a similar switch (called a focus limiter). So if you have a lens capable of doing macro, you probably have a switch to do this. And if you don't have a lens capable of doing macro, such a switch wouldn't help.

On the other hand, a macro lens isn't the only way to get macro capabilities. You can also use a closeup adapter like the Raynox 150 or 250 in conjunction with an ordinary lens to allow it to focus more closely, as I did here:

And actually, the 18-55 that comes with most cameras can focus pretty close already. It doesn't have a focus limiter switch, but adding one wouldn't allow it to focus more closely - it would just prevent it from focusing closely when you didn't want it to. So to the extent that the kit lens can do something approaching macro, you don't need a special macro mode to allow this - just get as close as you can and shoot! Maximum magnification is obtained by setting zoom all the way to 55mm.
Hey Marc!

I ordered the Raynox 250 thanks to you and your insight. I also orderd the 49-43 step down ring per your suggestion.

I purchased a Quanteray 70-300 and it has a macro switch and like you said, it allows the lens to focus closer;
the switch in normal mode is actually the focus limiter.

In macro mode it allows the lens to turn more to the right. But it will only work in the 180-300 range.

Now that being said, what happens if I put the Raynox on the lens in its macro mode?