05-22-2009, 07:09 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Exposure Plot is located here:

ExposurePlot (former Focalplot)
05-22-2009, 07:19 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mann Quote
Thanks for all the info and suggestions, guys. I just had a look at the Sigma 17-70, and I see it doesn't have the constant f/2.8 like the 24-70. That's kind of a turndown. I also had a look at the Sigma 24-60 f/2.8 EX ASP and the 28-70 f/2.8 EX DG. Do you have anything to tell me about those? If I'm going to buy such a lens, I'd like it to be as versatile as possible.

The 24-70/2.8 is considerably larger and more expensive than the 24-60/2.8 though some say the 24-60 is at least as good optically. I have one but tend to prefer my FA24-90/3.5-4.5. If you like larger cameras and you're shooting pro-style (read "big", "heavy") you'll probably want the battery grip as well.

Very few zooms are true 1:1 macro but offer relatively close focus capability which can be very convenient, especially when compared older lenses where minimum focus distance was a more frequent limitation.

Other good standard zooms are the the DA17-70/4 and DA16-45/4. Bear in mind that for many people 24mm isn't wide enough for their walkaround standard zoom. My latest acquisition of this sort is the DA17-70/4 with the idea that it's a pretty good choice for when I don't want to carry a bunch of lenses. If I need more speed or quality I can use primes. Pentax has a great collection of compact top-quality 'Limited' primes (15/4, 21/3.2, 31/1.8, 35/2.8 Macro, 40/2.8, 43/1.9, 70/2.4, 77/1.8).

If you're planning on getting a fast zoom you may also want to pick up the Pentax 18-55 kit lens for when you want something smaller & lighter (and less valuable?).
05-22-2009, 07:31 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
We're not all haters.

sorry ... my comment came from love of pentax not from hate of other brands .. well maybe a little... but mostly the love of pentax

05-22-2009, 08:03 AM   #20
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It’s your money and frankly Canon, Nikon, Sony, Oly and Panasonic all make excellent cameras. You can’t go wrong with most of the models. I gave serious thought to Canon before migrating from film (shot Pentax and Canon for close to 25 years) to digital. But what sold me was the layout of the *istD when it was introduced.

If you look at the Pentax camera layout, models like the K10, K20 and new K-7 have 2 e-dials. This is HUGE in my opinion. Lets say you want to shoot in P mode. (Hyper program). The front dial is Tv (Shutter) and the rear dial is Av (aperture) on my camera. But you might want it set up the opposite or to control different things (ev comp or ISO). Those dials are completely customizable.

A lot of people here don’t use the P mode, but I like it. Most will shoot in Av or Tv modes. P mode is 3 modes in one. Turn it on and hit the green button (unique to Pentax) and the camera sets the controls according to the program line you set in the menu (MTF (best quality from the lens as programmed into the lens chip by the manufacturer, Av priority or Tv priority). If you don’t want the camera to do that,you can then turn the Sv dial to adjust the shutter speed to your needs (the camera goes into Sv mode). Or you could adjust the aperture with the other dial and the camera goes into Av mode. To reset the camera, hit the green button.

I haven’t used the 50D but have used the 40D and like most (all?) Canon’s there is only one E dial. To select aperture is a PITA. I like the speed of having 2. If you shoot in manual mode, having 2 separate dials makes the only sense. Having to push a button and then switch modes in the middle of taking a shot is just not fast or easy.

Add to that one design feature and you have in body anti shake. No need to buy the most expensive glass. I know for a fact that SR will give me 3 stops of advantage over no SR. The new system claims 4 stops. This system can compete with any VR or IS system in quality but wins hands down because you only have to buy it once, not with every lens you are going to consider.

Weather seals are huge and having a series of lenses that match is a big deal. I have shot my K10D and K20D is pouring rain, bitter cold (spent a whole day in -30C without issues), fog and driving snow. Never once an issue with either body. As MasterCard says, priceless.

Finally service. Canon can offer their Pro program to some shooters and have decent turn around times. I can’t speak to what it’s like in the USA. But I sent in a lens 2 weeks ago that I dropped. It had to go 1500 miles (head office) for service and I had it back in 7 working days. Considering shipping time, that’s one day at the shop. 2 years ago I had another issue and that took 8 or 9 days I think. I can’t complain.

But I have to comment on reliability. No product is indestructible, Pentax is as good as any other and possibly better. I think that because of the weather seals. Electronics are better in your climate controlled, living room. They hate dust, humidity, moisture and temperature changes. With the WS bodies, the camera can protect itself against much of what you expose it to and survive to shoot another day. The chassis of these cameras is solid. I shoot for $$ quite a bit and have treated my gear roughly at times, rain, windy beaches, etc. I’ve dropped several cameras without issues. I would estimate you will never need service if you take decent care of your cameras. It can happen but the likelihood is pretty small. If it’s something you do to damage the camera (out of warranty), then it’s not worth repairing anyway at today’s prices. Service fees are high no matter what the brand and most shooters just go buy a new camera.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 05-22-2009 at 11:46 AM.
05-22-2009, 09:31 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mann Quote
Thanks for all the info and suggestions, guys. I just had a look at the Sigma 17-70, and I see it doesn't have the constant f/2.8 like the 24-70. That's kind of a turndown. I also had a look at the Sigma 24-60 f/2.8 EX ASP and the 28-70 f/2.8 EX DG. Do you have anything to tell me about those? If I'm going to buy such a lens, I'd like it to be as versatile as possible.
I have the Sigma 17-70 and I really don't find the variable aperture a problem at all for most of the shooting that I do, which is mostly nature/outdoorsy-type of stuff that I shoot mostly at f8-16.

As for your choice of camera, all I can say is that it's your camera, so you need to choose what works best for you. While Pentax will never be as big as Canon or Nikon, I do think that they're starting to get more name recognition and respect in the photography world.

Heather
05-22-2009, 10:44 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote

sorry ... my comment came from love of pentax not from hate of other brands .. well maybe a little... but mostly the love of pentax
I was talking (not so seriously...) as a New Yorker rather than Pentaxian.

05-22-2009, 10:56 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
A lot of people here don’t use the P mode, but I like it. Most will shoot in Av or Sv modes.
I'm pretty sure you mean Tv rather than Sv but it's all true. HyperProgram is basically a really powerful way to automate exposure.

I haven’t used the 50D but have used the 40D and like most (all?) Canon’s there is only one E dial. To select aperture is a PITA. I like the speed of having 2. If you shoot in manual mode, having 2 separate dials makes the only sense. Having to push a button and then switch modes in the middle of taking a shot is just not fast or easy.
Not a Canon shooter, but isn't the 'quick control dial' wheel on the rear of a 5/10/20/30/40/50D and predecessors essentially a rear e-dial? I thought only the rebel line required a button press w/dial. I do think the Pentax arrangement is more elegant, configurable and consistent however (generally speaking, front dial is for shutter, rear for aperture).
05-22-2009, 11:29 AM   #24

Original Poster
Thanks, guys, for all the info. At the moment my mind is set on the K-7 (possibly with a grip). I wish there was no video mode, as I wouldn't use it anyway and it could drop the price a bit. What kind of philosophy is that by the way, to include video recording on a still camera?

Is the Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 weather-sealed? I saw no trace of it on their site.

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
I have the Sigma 17-70 and I really don't find the variable aperture a problem at all for most of the shooting that I do, which is mostly nature/outdoorsy-type of stuff that I shoot mostly at f8-16.

Heather
That's what I'd do too, as well as using low f-values for closeups, but I'd also like to use it indoors when there's not much light. I don't like using flash.
05-22-2009, 11:33 AM   #25
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Andrew yes you are right. Tv (I always mix that up because I think Av =Aperture, Sv= Shutter, not Tv. T = what?)

As for the rear controls of the Canon 50D, My understanding is the power switch has a 3 way control and you have to move that to activate the Av control wheel on the back to adjust aperture. Thus loosing a 4 way controler for other functions. It seems as though they just looked for a difficult way to do something simple.

Quoted: Review
QuoteQuote:
This rear 'quick control dial' is characteristic of all high-end Canon EOS cameras. It's a bit of an acquired taste compared to more conventional control dials, but you quickly get used to it and it is easy to 'spin'. The power switch has a third position which activates this dial, and you can then use it to apply rapid exposure adjustments. The quick control dial does take up the space where you'd normally expect to find a four-way controller, which means that for menu navigation Canon has had to incorporate an additional small joystick on the back of the camera. This joystick works well enough, but it's not as positive or as easy to use as a conventional four-way controller.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 05-22-2009 at 11:40 AM.
05-22-2009, 11:36 AM   #26
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Mann, Video is the "in thing" in DSLR's now. Many may not like it (me) but this is a follow me business. Some designer (who should be shot) at Nikon decided that he'd add video to a camera to give the a marketing edge. Well it worked and they are selling those cameras very well. So everyone else, like good little sheep are doing it too.
05-22-2009, 11:37 AM   #27

Original Poster
It’s your money and frankly Canon, Nikon, Sony, Oly and Panasonic all make excellent cameras. You can’t go wrong with most of the models. I gave serious thought to Canon before migrating from film (shot Pentax and Canon for close to 25 years) to digital. But what sold me was the layout of the *istD when it was introduced.

If you look at the Pentax camera layout, models like the K10, K20 and new K-7 have 2 e-dials. This is HUGE in my opinion. Lets say you want to shoot in P mode. (Hyper program). The front dial is Tv (Shutter) and the rear dial is Av (aperture) on my camera. But you might want it set up the opposite or to control different things (ev comp or ISO). Those dials are completely customizable.

A lot of people here don’t use the P mode, but I like it. Most will shoot in Av or Sv modes. P mode is 3 modes in one. Turn it on and hit the green button (unique to Pentax) and the camera sets the controls according to the program line you set in the menu (MTF (best quality from the lens as programmed into the lens chip by the manufacturer, Av priority or Sv priority). If you don’t want the camera to do that,you can then turn the Sv dial to adjust the shutter speed to your needs (the camera goes into Sv mode). Or you could adjust the aperture with the other dial and the camera goes into Av mode. To reset the camera, hit the green button.

Add to that one design feature and you have in body anti shake. No need to buy the most expensive glass. I know for a fact that SR will give me 3 stops of advantage over no SR. The new system claims 4 stops. This system can compete with any VR or IS system in quality but wins hands down because you only have to buy it once, not with every lens you are going to consider.

Weather seals are huge and having a series of lenses that match is a big deal. I have shot my K10D and K20D is pouring rain, bitter cold (spent a whole day in -30C without issues), fog and driving snow. Never once an issue with either body. As MasterCard says, priceless.

Finally service. Canon can offer their Pro program to some shooters and have decent turn around times. I can’t speak to what it’s like in the USA. But I sent in a lens 2 weeks ago that I dropped. It had to go 1500 miles (head office) for service and I had it back in 7 working days. Considering shipping time, that’s one day at the shop. 2 years ago I had another issue and that took 8 or 9 days I think. I can’t complain.

But I have to comment on reliability. No product is indestructible, Pentax is as good as any other and possibly better. I think that because of the weather seals. Electronics are better in your climate controlled, living room. They hate dust, humidity, moisture and temperature changes. With the WS bodies, the camera can protect itself against much of what you expose it to and survive to shoot another day. The chassis of these cameras is solid. I shoot for $$ quite a bit and have treated my gear roughly at times, rain, windy beaches, etc. I’ve dropped several cameras without issues. I would estimate you will never need service if you take decent care of your cameras. It can happen but the likelihood is pretty small. If it’s something you do to damage the camera (out of warranty), then it’s not worth repairing anyway at today’s prices. Service fees are high no matter what the brand and most shooters just go buy a new camera.
Your story is very persuasive/convincing. I especially like the two dials. On my 450D I don't find it much of a problem, though, to hold a button and turn the dial, as I'm used to it, but two sure come in handy.

Btw, to anyone, I looked at a few of those Limited Pentax lenses. Where I live, they only got a few of them, I think. I tend to use a zoom anyway, due to handiness it brings me.
05-22-2009, 11:38 AM   #28

Original Poster
Andrew yes you are right. Tv (I always mix that up because I think Av =Aperture, Sv= Shutter, not Tv. T = what?)
I think Time value.
05-22-2009, 11:41 AM   #29
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

TV Duhhhhh. All these years. another Homer moment.
05-22-2009, 12:16 PM   #30

Original Poster
Mann, Video is the "in thing" in DSLR's now. Many may not like it (me) but this is a follow me business. Some designer (who should be shot) at Nikon decided that he'd add video to a camera to give the a marketing edge. Well it worked and they are selling those cameras very well. So everyone else, like good little sheep are doing it too.
Yes, he should be shot!

If I wanted video capability, I'd get a dedicated video camera. Just the thought of having it on a DSLR makes me shiver. Maybe Pentax will release a version of K-7 without video capability? I certainly hope so.