Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2009, 09:34 AM   #46

Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
[...]You could go with the DA*16-5omm f2.8 for the wide end. Gives you WS, Close up (not macro) and f2.8.
How would that closeup be compared to the Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 DG Macro?

05-24-2009, 10:35 AM   #47

Original Poster
Okay. I'm considering the K20D + 50-135 f/2.8 at the moment that I could get pretty fast after I've sold my current stuff. It indeed misses longer telephoto capability, but I think I could get by. I plan to use it as a "general-purpose" lens, fully disregarding wide-angle. Do you think it could be used for decent closeups? I've read the minimum focus distance is 1m, so I think the 135 wouldn't be sufficient.

Furthermore, on dpreview I read that the Live View isn't worth much. How much is this true?
05-24-2009, 10:40 AM   #48
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OK there's a few other options.

I'd look for a DA18-55mm Kit lens Version II f3.5-5.6 which does a decent close up as well. These generally sell around $75.00 used right here. I very nice wide lens that is quite sharp and reliable. Then add a DA55-300mm f4-5.8 ED Another excellent lens, very sharp and has the range. I think somewhere around $350-400.00 That covers the 2 focal lengths nicely. With the cost savings add a dedicated macro lens. Something like the Tamron 90mm f2.8 or my favourite the Sigma EX 105mm f2.8. Both around the $400 range.

Next in quality would be the following Kit. Tamron 28-75mm XR Di f2.8 which will also close focus well or the Sigma 24-60mm f2.8. Both excellent lenses. Add the DA55-300mm mentioned above. If you want wider with close focus ability you could add the DA16-45mm f4 or substitute it for one of the f2.8 lenses.

Third would be to get one of the better wide lenses above and get a Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 Macro and look around for a Tamron 1.4 teleconvertor. I have one and it's a great add on. It will give you 280mm on your Sigma, still stays fast and the AF still works. Nice unit and the sell around $130-150 used (no longer made but on Ebay every week). Sigma make 2 dedicated TC's you could consider but they will cost more and not get you better results.
The Sigma zoom sells for around $800 and well worth the money.

I understand the point about the video. Useless feature IMO and I'll be getting a K-7 myself. I'll probably use it once in awhile for fun but rarely. My cell phone is good enough for the rare times I need video. But I do see a reason for it. If you were at a wedding and wanted a video clip, that's cool. Or maybe something newsworthy and wanted a clip to sell to the local TV station. Of course there's always making your mark on You Tube as well.

People (especially new shooters) want every gizmo under the sun in one platform. For Pentax to omit this feature would have been suicide and killed the camera. They had no choice purely for marketing reasons. It's like my cell phone, the figgin thing can do a thousand different things and I'm not afraid of technology but the only thing I use is the camera (maybe 20 shots in the past year) and the address book. Oh and to make calls. The rest of the crap is wasted.

But consider that the camera has a ton of new or upgraded features. I don't think the video added to the cost much at all. The launch price of the K20D was $1299.00 same price as this camera. The HDR, high ISO, faster frame rate and better VF alone is worth the price. And that's only a few of the upgrades. In recent memory it's the only camera that has had almost no one complaining they missed something. I was worried about the size and that I couldn't shoot with it. I'm a left eye shooter. But someone in Tokyo tested it this morning for me at a pre launch show and said it will be fine. Everyone's pretty pleased with this one.
05-24-2009, 10:49 AM   #49
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah I'd agree that the LV isn't great on the K20D. It was a compromise option. But that said, I've used it twice and never had a desire to use it. My K20D has over 25,000 shots on it.

05-24-2009, 11:02 AM   #50
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Here's a quick shot I took with my Sigma 70-200 f2.8 with the K10D this morning. And my lens is not the macro version.

Sharp and this shot was wide open. Not bad for a zoom and has nice bokeh. A prime could take this shot better but not much. The background was a field of dandelions.

Name:  IMGP0617-1.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  37.3 KB

Last edited by Peter Zack; 05-24-2009 at 11:11 AM.
05-24-2009, 12:06 PM   #51

Original Poster
Okay, Peter. You've been a great help, and I think I'm gonna decide. If I continue considering and considering, I'll end up in a mental institute!

I'm going through dpreview, and I think I'll get the Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8 II EX DG APO Macro HSM, and try to find a proper teleconverter. It should fit nicely on the K20D, right? But then I'm also thinking of the similar Tamron. On dpreview it's said this Sigma is a good one, but it has some problems.

As for the wide-angle, I'll have to think about that.
05-24-2009, 12:18 PM   #52

QuoteOriginally posted by Mann Quote
Furthermore, on dpreview I read that the Live View isn't worth much. How much is this true?
If you want to see it, CameraLabs' video review shows it starting at 6:20.

05-24-2009, 12:45 PM   #53
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

The Sigma is HSM (SDM lens motor) so it's nice and quiet and it's a close focus lens "Macro" where the Tamron doesn't have either. The Tamron is a very good choice and features wise, my older version is the same as the Tamron (-HSM, -macro). So that's the main considerations. We haven't seen many complaints about the Sigma here and many mambers own one.

As for the TC, you can get one of these new: PentaxForums.com Third-Party Pentax Lens Review Database - 1.4x DG EX APO Teleconverter

or look for this used:
PentaxForums.com Third-Party Pentax Lens Review Database - Tamron-F 1.4X Pz-AF MC4

Here's one here: Ebay

And you shoould expect it to go for $130-150.00
05-24-2009, 01:24 PM   #54

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Quension Quote
If you want to see it, CameraLabs' video review shows it starting at 6:20.
So Live View is pretty much out of the question. My 450D screen is also bigger. Hmmm. I'll have to visit the store anyway and hold it in my hands and get the feel of it, while the 70-200 is attached. When I do that, I'll have my final decision.
05-24-2009, 01:35 PM   #55

Original Poster
The Sigma is HSM (SDM lens motor) so it's nice and quiet and it's a close focus lens "Macro" where the Tamron doesn't have either. The Tamron is a very good choice and features wise, my older version is the same as the Tamron (-HSM, -macro). So that's the main considerations. We haven't seen many complaints about the Sigma here and many mambers own one.

As for the TC, you can get one of these new: PentaxForums.com Third-Party Pentax Lens Review Database - 1.4x DG EX APO Teleconverter

or look for this used:
PentaxForums.com Third-Party Pentax Lens Review Database - Tamron-F 1.4X Pz-AF MC4

Here's one here: Ebay

And you shoould expect it to go for $130-150.00
Alright. I'll see what I do. First things first: to sell my current stuff.

Thanks, all, for all the help. You'll know if anything comes up

I think I won't be sleeping tonight, thinking of the goods
05-25-2009, 05:52 AM   #56

Original Poster
A quick question. I've read about firmware that has to be updated for the K20D. When I buy a new fresh K20D, must I do this myself or is the latest already installed?

Another question: will my SDHC Extreme something something of 16GB work fully on the K20D?
05-25-2009, 07:01 AM   #57
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
Focus calibration for each lens is a feature that is only offered by Pentax (I think)..'coz I haven't read about it on the Canikon brands.
K10D and K20D can do this but is somewhat limited in the number of lenses in the K10D (you also have to backtrack on the firmware if firmware is updated..only for the K10D).
The Canon 50D has it, as do the 1D III, 1Ds III and 5D II. (Incidentally, Canon had it on the Mk III bodies in late 2007 so they didn't rip Pentax off as some have implied int he past.)

Nikon has it in at least the D300 and D700 bodies.
05-25-2009, 08:06 AM   #58
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Mann, It's possible you'll have to update the Firmware but it only takes seconds to check and easy to do. Your cards will work fine.
05-25-2009, 08:58 AM   #59
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
TV Duhhhhh. All these years. another Homer moment.
Almost as bad as when I didn't realize the DA 35 ltd macro had a pull-out hood until I had bought my second copy!
05-25-2009, 09:34 AM   #60

Original Poster
Another question I believe isn't asked and answered: how and how much will the dedicated Sigma 1.4x EX DG APO teleconverter, or the other mentioned one (Tamron), affect the image quality, the lens, etc,?

Mann, It's possible you'll have to update the Firmware but it only takes seconds to check and easy to do. Your cards will work fine.
Good news Thanks.