Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2009, 01:44 PM   #1

Switching to Pentax?

I've been using a Canon 450D with the kit lens (18-55 iS) and the 55-250 iS (that I use mostly). When I saw the K20D I went crazy about it, so you can imagine when I heard about the K-7 I went even MORE crazy.

What attracts me to the K-7 is the build quality, the sealing, the 11 AF points, the 77-segment exposure metering, the in-built image stabilization and lens correction function. What I don't like so much about it is how it's not that big: I like to have something a bit big and heavy which would help me keep my hands more steady.

So, even though I'm happy with what I got, I'm thinking of upgrading from my 450D and cheap lenses to the K-7 when it's available and some good lenses. I don't often take wide-angle photos; I often take closeups and am interested in macro photography and general closeups. But I would really like a general flexible setup where I don't often need to switch lenses.

If I were to switch to a K-7 in the future, which lenses would you recommend? Is it even at all recommendable to switch to Pentax?

05-21-2009, 02:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mann Quote
I've been using a Canon 450D with the kit lens (18-55 iS) and the 55-250 iS (that I use mostly). When I saw the K20D I went crazy about it, so you can imagine when I heard about the K-7 I went even MORE crazy.

What attracts me to the K-7 is the build quality, the sealing, the 11 AF points, the 77-segment exposure metering, the in-built image stabilization and lens correction function. What I don't like so much about it is how it's not that big: I like to have something a bit big and heavy which would help me keep my hands more steady.

So, even though I'm happy with what I got, I'm thinking of upgrading from my 450D and cheap lenses to the K-7 when it's available and some good lenses. I don't often take wide-angle photos; I often take closeups and am interested in macro photography and general closeups. But I would really like a general flexible setup where I don't often need to switch lenses.

If I were to switch to a K-7 in the future, which lenses would you recommend? Is it even at all recommendable to switch to Pentax?

well you are at the pentax forum, so no bios here, and personally I HATE Canon with passion.
but with all honesty you have the 450D, you can not compare it to the feel and ergonomics of the K20D. the 450D is a plastic toy no offense.
05-21-2009, 02:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I had one, and I have to agree. Strangely, the 400D felt better to me.

Either way, ANY Pentax DSLR will feel better in your hands, but if you don't want to miss the AF (as many others have said, but I have no problem with), then I'd recommend the K-7. If you want to spend more on lenses though, then you can always go for the K10D. It's a great camera and it's not even that old.
05-21-2009, 02:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
First, welcome! It's another happy day in Pentaxia after yesterday's K-7 announcement.

For a novice (don't have a clue to your experience level) the -18-55 kit lens with the 55-300 would make a very nice setup; or just go with the DA18-250. The latter gives you "macro" close-up capability and an almost complete zoom range in one shot.

For a dedicated macro lens though there are tons of options all with their pros and cons. I have the Tamron SP 90/2.8 Di and love it partly because it makes a pretty darn good portrait lens as well. But you might prefer a 50mm or 35mm or 180mm or 200mm depending on what subject matter you prefer.

Something else to consider in making your initial purchase decisions though - grab a free copy of ExposurePlot and run it against your library of shots (JPEGs) you've taken with the 450. It will graph out your used focal lengths and apertures so you can see where you really shoot as opposed to where you "think" you shoot.

05-21-2009, 03:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Hey I've never heard of exposureplot, I want it!

Where do I get it?
05-21-2009, 03:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The weathersealing in itself and in-body SR (shake-reduction) is reason enough.
It actually is a "no contest."
If you even hear of the other goodies, you'll never turn back!
05-22-2009, 02:29 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
well you are at the pentax forum, so no bios here, and personally I HATE Canon with passion.
but with all honesty you have the 450D, you can not compare it to the feel and ergonomics of the K20D. the 450D is a plastic toy no offense.
You must be from New York

05-22-2009, 02:31 AM   #8
Veteran Member

You want a bigger camera, get a K20D + grip.
05-22-2009, 02:41 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome and info, guys. I did my homework a bit and I think I will get the K-7 as my next camera. As for lenses, I don't know for sure yet. I was looking around and saw the Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 EX DG Macro. What can you tell me about it? I never had a dedicated macro lens, but from what I understand this one can be used "generally" and as a macro lens?

That ExposurePlot sounds interesting. Gotta check it out once I get some more time.
05-22-2009, 04:00 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Mann Quote
Thanks for the welcome and info, guys. I did my homework a bit and I think I will get the K-7 as my next camera. As for lenses, I don't know for sure yet. I was looking around and saw the Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 EX DG Macro. What can you tell me about it? I never had a dedicated macro lens, but from what I understand this one can be used "generally" and as a macro lens?

That ExposurePlot sounds interesting. Gotta check it out once I get some more time.
you wont go wrong with that sigma 24-70 .

great lens, pin sharp and focuses nice and quickly.

just keep in mind - with Sigma - its some times hit and miss with their lenses straight out the box - some need to be serviced before you can use them, but in the majority, they perfect.

a really great lens u wont regret buying !! i'm waiting for my 2nd one to arrive, i like them so much!!
05-22-2009, 04:26 AM   #11
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good choices there Mann.

Either the Sigma 24-70 or Tamron 28-75 are excellent choices if you don't need anything wider than that. Tamron's got reasonably close focus, but for real macro work, a dedicated macro lens is a real treat.

FA 100/2.8 macro would be my suggestion, but it's good to take one thing at a time.
Enjoy your K-7 when it comes out - and be sure to get the grip so it does at least feel full and well balanced in your hands.
05-22-2009, 04:31 AM   #12
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd agree that the Sigma 24-70 would be a great choice and offers good close focusing. I've either owned or currently own several Sigmas and have never had any issues with build or shooting quality. Another very good mid range lens to consider is the Tamron 28-75 XRDi which is sharp and has good close up ability.

For a longer range lens the Pentax 55-300 zoom. Compact and sharp with a feature that is not often discussed. Quick shift. This allows you to manual focus the lens without having to stop and turn off the AF. Just grab the focus ring and adjust. The lens has a 'clutch' that disengages the AF drive with a touch of the focus ring. To go back to AF you just hit the shutter or AF button. Great feature. Also Pentax lens hoods have a window in the bottom to allow your finger to get in and adjust a filter like a polarizer without removing the hood or trying to get a finger in from the front. Simple but well thought out idea.

Depending on your budget, the DA*60-250mm might be a serious contender. It's weather sealed and the DA* lenses are the premium ones for built, weatherseals and optical quality. For something wider, the DA*16-50mm is very good. And a mid range lens could be the superb DA*50-135mm.

Also don't forget the 2 WR (weather resistant) DA18-55mm and 50-200mm lenses. Pentax has always been known for it's lenses and SMC coatings as being some of the best in the business. The kit lenses are better than any other brand. This doesn't only come from us but many reviews and comparisons.

Finally the prime lenses. You won't find a line of solid primes like the Limiteds anywhere else. Get yourself a 35mm macro. Once you see the optical quality and the build, you will start shooting with primes. Shooters from Canon, Nikon and other platforms often forget primes because their lines are so dominated with good zooms and primes are still the best lenses in many cases.

Another finally, If you didn't know, Pentax cameras are backward compatable. If you read through these forums, you see tons of threads discussing some great 40 year old lens that someone loves and cost $25.00 It's a great feature of the brand.
05-22-2009, 04:40 AM   #13

The 24-70 is a great allround lens. But it does not 1:1 macro. For some real macro shots you need a macro prime lens. Such as the Sigma 70mm 2.8 ex dg. So the term macro is used because you can get really close to your object and the magnification isn't that bad.

I would also consider the Sigma 17-70mm which also does 'macro' and is just a little bit more versatile than the 27-70 because you've got more wideangle, and I believe it's cheaper while opticaly they perform just as good.
05-22-2009, 06:13 AM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks for all the info and suggestions, guys. I just had a look at the Sigma 17-70, and I see it doesn't have the constant f/2.8 like the 24-70. That's kind of a turndown. I also had a look at the Sigma 24-60 f/2.8 EX ASP and the 28-70 f/2.8 EX DG. Do you have anything to tell me about those? If I'm going to buy such a lens, I'd like it to be as versatile as possible.

Next to it, when I have the dough, I'd later buy a good telelens. I'm actually thinking of that Pentax WR telelens mentioned by Peter Zack that could serve as a "cheaper" long-distance lens, perhaps? I also heard about the newer Pentax 50-300 WR, I think. It all sounds very attractive.

But there's another thing: I just had a long phone discussion with my father who's just back from vacation, and old photographer from analog days, saying I should stick to Canon (or switch to Nikon) because there's good/better world-wide service and there's much more available lenses. He was talking me into getting a 50D and that I should not switch to Pentax. Of course you understand I'm getting doubts now. I like both the 50D and K-7. Something to consider is also how much money I'd get back by returning my 450D, 18-55 kit lens (and 55-250, if I go Pentax). I'm guessing the K-7 will cost me more than the 50D, but I haven't seen any prices here yet.
05-22-2009, 06:53 AM   #15

Mann,

Here is a quote from DPReview when they tested RAW image from 50D vs K20D

QuoteQuote:
The EOS 50D and Pentax K20D offer nearly identical nominal resolution and after taking the in-camera processing out of the equation by shooting RAW there is not an awful lot between them. Having said that the Pentax image shows just a tad more detail, especially in crops close to the edge of the frame (coins on label, batteries). It becomes obvious that at 15.1 megapixels nominal resolution the 50D is limited by the performance of the lens while the Pentax prime lens is still capable of resolving the K20D's 14.6 megapixels.
(Source : Canon EOS 50D Review: 28. Compared to (RAW): Digital Photography Review)

Peter has already said about the quality of Pentax lenses especially the 'Limited's.

Canon and Nikon offer a large range of lense's, but what matters is that if they suit your shooting style or not & most of them you may never end up buying. Take a look at all the below lens range and see if something is missing. (Dont forget about old lenses which are usable and can be found on ebay or some stores.)

Interchangeable Lenses : Digital Cameras : Imaging Systems Division : PENTAX

For me Pentax is the best value for money dslr package with great IQ out in the market

Good luck with whatever you choose

Cheers
Nish

Last edited by bnishanth; 05-22-2009 at 06:54 AM. Reason: correct the spelling