Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2009, 10:49 AM   #31
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Second the opinion on the Maha Powerex Imedeons batteries and the Wizard One charger from Paul's Finest.

One thing to note when purchasing large ticket items from the US is that you can actually sometimes save on the brokerage charges by selecting the 2nd or next day delivery options from UPS or FEDEX. A lot of people don't realize that the higher costs actually covers brokerage and the added bonus of getting it to your door a lot quicker.

10-16-2009, 11:21 AM   #32

Wow, this is an old thread, but might as well add while it's hot...

Check out Photography, Digital Camera, Lens Price Comparisons for Canadians - photoprice.ca - they have a comparison of prices of different camera items which includes both Canadian and US stores, and factors in taxes and shipping. Their stock list can be out of date, but the prices are not. Also note that they often mis-categorize lenses.

Some favourite dealers:
Vintage Visuals Photographic based somewhere in Western Canada, nice selection of used items
Henry's - Canada's Digital Camera Centre - Photo Video Digital brick and mortar and online, many locations, top quality service, used/new items and will price-match
Camera Canada - Canada's dot.com for Cameras great prices and selection, based in Kitchener does good printing as well
Don's Photo, already mentioned, does a great job of prints
Simon's Camera in Montreal with decent prices, limited selection

Another interesting list would be significant Canadian photographers. I'll start:
Freeman Patterson Freeman Patterson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yousuf Karsh (Armenian heritage) Yousuf Karsh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Onnig Cavoukian (Armenian heritage, I used to know him but haven't talked in a few years) Onnig Cavoukian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
10-16-2009, 12:04 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by libbyh Quote
Second the opinion on the Maha Powerex Imedeons batteries and the Wizard One charger from Paul's Finest.

One thing to note when purchasing large ticket items from the US is that you can actually sometimes save on the brokerage charges by selecting the 2nd or next day delivery options from UPS or FEDEX. A lot of people don't realize that the higher costs actually covers brokerage and the added bonus of getting it to your door a lot quicker.
The couriers must know by now that there is no duty on photo equipment.
However, as they own their own brokerage houses they insist on, at least, pretending to go through the customs brokerage procedure and charging brokerage fees.

I have in the past refused to pay them their demanded fees and insisted on getting my shipment without any additional charges as shipping was prepaid. I told them that I had not authorized them to use their broker and that I had my own.

UPS sent me past due invoices every month. I ignored them and after about a year they turned the account over to a collection agency. I ignored it. Eventually they gave up.

I now insist that I will not accept deliveries from any courier and that my purchases must be sent through the mail.

Mickey

Last edited by mickeyobe; 10-16-2009 at 12:09 PM.
10-16-2009, 12:50 PM   #34
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
If you live near a border, you can also use a US-based receiver like:

US Mailbox Street Address (in Blaine, WA)

and bring your products across yourself.

10-26-2009, 09:04 AM   #35
Inactive Account

Buying in Canada.

Hi.
I Buy from Simons Cameras in Montreal. Their costs are lower than on the west coast, ( $100.00 on the K 7) .The shipping is always $9.99 and you do not pay any Provincial sale tax. Shipping is Priority and takes one week to Victoria. I deal with Kevin who is excellent.