Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2009, 12:17 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
Second Peter's opinion on the batteries.
I third the opinion. Eneloops (or other "hybrid" low self-discharge NiMH batteries) are in a class of their own. I think some folks get put off by their lower rated capacity, but for most people their long shelf life and excellent performance (they're able to maintain a higher voltage under load) makes them the battery of choice.

05-23-2009, 12:51 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I have been using Rayovac Hybrid nickel metal hydride AAA cells in my K100D for over a year now. I get more than a thousand shots per charge and they never seem to lose power when they are not in use.

They are relatively inexpensive and may be purchased in packs of 4 batteries with a charger or the batteries only. I got mine at WalMart.

The first one or two times they were used they only gave a little over 400 shots but then they really came to life. I have no idea what their life expectancy may be but they owe me nothing.

I always carry a spare set in my camera bag but have never had to resort to them on an emergency basis.

Mickey
05-23-2009, 01:42 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mickeyobe Quote
I have been using Rayovac Hybrid nickel metal hydride AAA cells in my K100D for over a year now. I get more than a thousand shots per charge and they never seem to lose power when they are not in use.

They are relatively inexpensive and may be purchased in packs of 4 batteries with a charger or the batteries only. I got mine at WalMart.

The first one or two times they were used they only gave a little over 400 shots but then they really came to life. I have no idea what their life expectancy may be but they owe me nothing.

I always carry a spare set in my camera bag but have never had to resort to them on an emergency basis.

Mickey
Rayovacs are like eneloops too! They too are hybrid batteries.
You can cheaply get them at your local walmart together with the charger.
I also have the rayovacs and the eneloops although the rayovacs are cheaper!
05-29-2009, 11:03 AM   #19
Veteran Member

It really depends where you are and if you live close to the border. What you could do is order off amazon, or B&H or some US site that offers cheap of no shipping charges, then get it delivered across the border at one of those pick up sites ie. Ship Happens in Sumas, WA (for Vancouverites). You use them as your address, get the stuff sent there for free, pay the cheap US pricing and then when you go pick it up, unbox it there and drive it back saying it was yours in the first place. Obviously it would be smart to take the rest of your camera gear.

As for batteries, I bought Duracell Ni-MH batt's and they're just OK. I'm not sure what there's any difference in "hybrid" NiMH batteries or not because the mah number's the same. The Energizer Lithiums are definitely the best, just cost a f***in' arm and a leg... roughly $15 for a 4 pack, but they last a while and are good to keep in your pack.

I just ordered a 50-135mm DA lens off amazon for $749 USD, no tax, no shipping and got it sent to my bro in LA who I'm seeing soon. I know that's a lens to jump on because a bunch of different retailers have jacked up their prices on that lens.

Good luck and hope you live close to the border!

05-30-2009, 11:47 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by esman7 Quote
It really depends where you are and if you live close to the border. What you could do is order off amazon, or B&H or some US site that offers cheap of no shipping charges, then get it delivered across the border at one of those pick up sites ie. Ship Happens in Sumas, WA (for Vancouverites). You use them as your address, get the stuff sent there for free, pay the cheap US pricing and then when you go pick it up, unbox it there and drive it back saying it was yours in the first place. Obviously it would be smart to take the rest of your camera gear.
This technique can get you into big trouble. I suggest that you declare the lens. There is no duty on cameras or lenses, but you will have to pay GST, of course.
05-30-2009, 06:32 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
This technique can get you into big trouble. I suggest that you declare the lens. There is no duty on cameras or lenses, but you will have to pay GST, of course.
I totally agree, I forgot that lenses fall in that class of items you don't have to pay duty on. It's the damn broker fees that are the worst.

Only reason I said this is that I'm getting tires put on in bellingham... unbeknownst to the gov't
05-30-2009, 07:11 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by esman7 Quote
I totally agree, I forgot that lenses fall in that class of items you don't have to pay duty on. It's the damn broker fees that are the worst.

Only reason I said this is that I'm getting tires put on in bellingham... unbeknownst to the gov't
I would still have the lens delivered in the USA, but declare it at the border after picking it up. UPS rips you off with their fees for handling.

07-27-2009, 12:06 PM   #23

Hi
Your eneloops are avaiable at costco.You can check eneloop.ca for other locations.
07-27-2009, 12:11 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by stgmgr Quote
MBH...........can you confirm this?
Are they really eneloops???
Just came home from my local Superstore (PC).
They sell for $13 for 4 AAs. $25 for 4 AAs and charger.
Hi
Are you sure there eneloops ?I seen the white P.C. they look like eneloop but they don't say Sanyo anywhere
07-27-2009, 07:06 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
US prices are not generally lower IME. I always compare pricing online and I've ended up buying most of my gear in Canada (Vistek, Henry's, London Drugs and ProDigital2000).

I'm another happy Rayovac Hybrid user. It's shocking how much better they are than alkalines, for the same price.
07-27-2009, 07:29 PM   #26
Closed Account

I have read in a lot of places that the Duracell "precharged" recharchables are re-labelled eneloops. I saw them last week going 4 for 8 bucks at shoppers and got some. So far they have not disappointed. I have never used eneloops though so I have no point of comparison, but I did have regular Duracell recharchables that weren't nearly as good as the ones I just bought.

I use a K200D and so far I have around 400 shots on the Duracells and the battery charger still looks full.
07-27-2009, 11:35 PM   #27

Photos: Gallery
if you're from toronto, you can get eneloops from bay bloor radio, and canada computers if you're a non-costco member. for lenses vistek, henry's and aden, they're brick and mortar stores.
10-15-2009, 07:21 PM   #28

I have been using PC (Presidents Choice) pre-charged re-chargeable AA's in my K200D with great success. $12.99 for a 4-pak.
10-15-2009, 07:36 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by adventuress Quote
Hi guys. Wow, am I glad I found this site - I've been on here for DAYS.... problem is, while I am getting lots of great info, and saving money - for finding out lots of very needed information , I'm also having a super tough time finding what I need.

See, I'm Canadian, and I seem to be having trouble finding certain items here.
please, if you can help with Canadian sites, or who doesn't gouge for shipping and is SUPER fast and reliable, pls help!

Thanks!
Look at the Canadian responses. You came to the RIGHT PLACE!
Welcome to the forum!
10-15-2009, 08:17 PM   #30
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

QuoteOriginally posted by stewh Quote
I have been using PC (Presidents Choice) pre-charged re-chargeable AA's in my K200D with great success. $12.99 for a 4-pak.
Those are Sanyo Eneloops in a PC label. The charger and batteries are exactly the same. I have 2 sets and they work identically. Easily found across Canada