Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2009, 05:37 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Canadian STUFF

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi guys. Wow, am I glad I found this site - I've been on here for DAYS.... problem is, while I am getting lots of great info, and saving money - for finding out lots of very needed information , I'm also having a super tough time finding what I need.

See, I'm Canadian, and I seem to be having trouble finding certain items here. US costs, once adding shipping and handling, are often doubling the price... then I may have to pay import duties when the hit the border....

I'm leaving to go overseas in less than 2 weeks, too, so i need a few things ASAP:

please, if you can help with Canadian sites, or who doesn't gouge for shipping and is SUPER fast and reliable, pls help!

Due to all your reviews and such, I'm looking for the Lacross BC-900 charger, and a bunch of AA Eneloop batteries.

Also the 55-300mm lens,

and *maybe* if i can afford it after all the extras, a 50mm 1.4

As well as trying to figure out which SD cards to actually get. (Does class really matter on the K200D? What about name brand ie : Patriot, Kingston etc)

I can get the Pentax K200 from a local store, and unless I can find a great deal asap, am thinking to just get the 18-55 kit lens. I don' thave a ton extra to spend, this is already a HUGE leap of faith to spend so much on a DSLR but feel it's time...

Thanks!

05-21-2009, 06:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hello, which part of Canada you are in?
You can try ProDigital2000 in Evil-bay, their price is quite good.
05-21-2009, 06:55 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Where in Canada are you?

Some local shops in Vancouver, BC I know of that have websites:

Leo's Camera Supply Ltd.
Kerrisdale Cameras
http://www.dunneandrundle.com
Broadway Camera!, Your Specialty Camera Store in Vancouver BC, Canada

-
05-21-2009, 09:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Yep Canada is a big A$$ country as for the "bunch of AA Eneloop batteries" Costco started carrying them a while ago - if you are not a member you can always get a day pass.

Camera Canada Camera Canada - Canada's dot.com for Cameras (based in Ontario) has 3 day shipping I have delt with them before. The camera store in Calgary Home | TheCameraStore.com is another good shop. McBains camera sells Pentax.

As for buying from US - USPS (United Stated Postal Service) is the best bet. You don't pay duty - you do pay the GST and maybe PST (don't have PST in Alberta wahoo) and sometimes a $5 - $10 "administration fee". Fed-Ex , UPS etc you can get stung with what they call brokerage fees which is hit and miss. They can be expensive.

Edit:

Cards do matter - stay away from the super cheap ones. I usually use Sandisk and have had no issues. Costco.ca online (shiipped out of Montreal I believe) had some Transends Class 6 for half the price of the Sandisk. It took about 4 days to get here in Alberta. I bought two of them and so far no issues at all so far I have had them for about 6 weeks.

Best of luck.

Last edited by daacon; 05-21-2009 at 10:12 PM.
05-21-2009, 10:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Check out prodigital at ebay (or phone, don't email) and figure out the price after shipping (you have to pay for the more expensive shipping or it won't be packaged properly), then take that price around town to see if you can get something. I try to deal local if I can.
05-22-2009, 07:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Even if you end up with something better, the kit lens may be nice to have when you want small & light or even if you eventually sell the camera later. You don't really indicate your level of experience but it also may help you decide which areas you want to improve on (wider, longer, faster, better, specific lengths for primes...)
05-22-2009, 11:02 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by adventuress Quote
I'm looking for the Lacross BC-900 charger, and a bunch of AA Eneloop batteries.
I used to get Eneloops from The Source (formerly known as "Radio Shack"), but they no longer carry them. I was advised on another forum that Sony's "Cycle Energy" batteries are rebranded Eneloops, so I picked some up and so far (about 6 months) they've been working just as well as the Eneloops are.

The Sony batteries are a lot easier to find - I picked mine up at a London Drugs here in Vancouver.

05-22-2009, 11:31 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Im saw Eneloops at Costco yesterday.

Mickey
05-22-2009, 11:32 AM   #9
mbh

batteries

Check at a grocery store that carried President's Choice merchandise. There are PC brand rechargeable batteries which are white label eneloops. I can't recall the exact price but they are very reasonable. So check the grocery store - its the best deal going on eneloop batteries.

I've used these batteries with an AF360 flash and with a K-M with good battery life.
05-22-2009, 04:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Me, I got my eneloop battery and charger online.
The eneloop chargers are already pretty good as a charger.
A friend of mine ordered his La Crosse from Amazon.
The La Crosse for me are a bit of an overkill 'coz the eneloop batteries by themselves are already good and is of course compatible with its own charger.
05-23-2009, 07:43 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've gotten great service at Don's Photo. They are in Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Edmonton, and maybe a few other places.

Don't freak out about batteries. It really isn't that big of a deal.

I haven't purchased anything from them, but Vistek.ca is a big store out of the GTA that has a strong online presence.
05-23-2009, 08:04 AM   #12
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
grainbelt, I beg to differ on the batteries. I have tried Duracell rechargables, Energizers and Eneloops. The Eneloops are superior, hands down. I get better constancy and range from my remote triggers. Flash use is much better and longer, my *istD will shoot longer on one charge. I won't use anything else and I use a ton of batteries to shoot a wedding.

The added benefit of Eneloops is you can charge them and they hold the charge for weeks and don't self drain like other batteries do.

As for cards, I stick to Sandisk Ultra II or Extreme III's They cost more but I've never had an issue with them and cheaper cards have failed in less than a year of use. DO NOT BY CARDS ON EBAY!!!!! Buy them from a Brick and Mortar store so you know they are real and not some Chinese copy.

Try Aden Camera but Prodigital on Ebay has been excellent as well. They are a camera shop in Ontario that sells a ton on Ebay.
05-23-2009, 09:00 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Second Peter's opinion on the batteries. The Eneloops can store and retain much of their charge for a very long time. Very strong performences by these batteries.

BTW, in addition to Sandisk and Lexar cards, the Delkin Pro SDHC cards have also proved to do very well in adverse conditions (high heat & humidity). I bought some 8GB versions.

Regards,
Marc
05-23-2009, 10:02 AM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by mbh Quote
Check at a grocery store that carried President's Choice merchandise. There are PC brand rechargeable batteries which are white label eneloops. I can't recall the exact price but they are very reasonable. So check the grocery store - its the best deal going on eneloop batteries.

I've used these batteries with an AF360 flash and with a K-M with good battery life.
MBH...........can you confirm this?
Are they really eneloops???
Just came home from my local Superstore (PC).
They sell for $13 for 4 AAs. $25 for 4 AAs and charger.

Last edited by stgmgr; 05-23-2009 at 12:23 PM. Reason: update
05-23-2009, 11:04 AM   #15

Hi,
You could buy a MH-C9000 WizardOne charger by Maha Inc and PowerEx or Imedion batteries from PSS Enterprises - PaulsFinest.com in Montréal. I have such a charger and am very satisfied with it. I think it is better than LaCrosse. Here is the link to the charger page (you may buy the charger without the batteries): http://http://www.paulsfinest.com/Maha-PowerEx-C9000-WizardOne-charger-8x270...ses-p-572.html
Bon voyage!
Tedi