Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2009, 07:27 PM   #16
Igilligan

Warning Matt

Matt if your M42 to K adaptor is an original locking one... I would not use the bellows with it. A lot of the m42 bellows can not screw off the camera because the bellows frame hits the flash. And if you use the locking m42 to K adaptor the bellows will need to spin 360 degrees to screw off!

If it gets stuck on the camera it is a nightmare... With the bellows units you are better off getting one of the cheap ebay flanged adaptors....

By the way beautiful shots with your tak... which one is it?

Last edited by Igilligan; 08-16-2009 at 08:08 PM.
08-17-2009, 07:58 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
i picked up a Pentax adapter for each M42 lens i have and leave them on the lens so i dont have to fiddle with anything when i am ready to shoot.
As I own a multitude of M42 lenses, this solution would be impractical & expensive for me, especially because my lenses also do double duty on my Spotmatics. Consequently, I have adopted another approach..... I shoot with two identical bodies (a relatively cheap solution in my case, as I use *ist DS bodies), one being a dedicated screwmount shooter, having a permanently installed Pentax M42 adapter.
08-17-2009, 08:10 AM   #18
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Matt if your M42 to K adaptor is an original locking one... I would not use the bellows with it. A lot of the m42 bellows can not screw off the camera because the bellows frame hits the flash. And if you use the locking m42 to K adaptor the bellows will need to spin 360 degrees to screw off!

If it gets stuck on the camera it is a nightmare... With the bellows units you are better off getting one of the cheap ebay flanged adaptors....

By the way beautiful shots with your tak... which one is it?
good point. but I believe some of the later bellows, even the screwmount versions had the ability to remove the bellows from the mount (or rather remove the rear mount from the bellows.) my K mount Pentax bellows had this feature, and it was the only way I was able to mount the bellows to the camera. what I did was removed the rear K mount from the bellows, attached it to the body then reattached the bellows to the mount. (this was with an Asahi Pentax Auto Bellows M) so I assume the same feature might be available on the later Asahi Pentax Auto Bellows, such as the M42 Asahi Pentax Auto Bellows II. if it is, it will be as simple as described above only you attach the mount adapter to the rear mount then attach the mount to the body before attaching the bellows back to the mount. when removing you would have to remove the bellows from the mount then unscrew the mount from the adapter to remove the adapter.

if I still had my bellows I would take some photos to better describe what I am talking about. but I imagine that this feature would only be available again on the later 'Auto Bellows' and the reason I say that is because the Auto bellows II in m42, the auto bellows K and auto bellows M are all virtually identical in appearance, I just have never handled an auto bellows in m42 to confirm this feature.

if it doesn't, then I would also suggest only using the flanged adapter and not a genuine pentax or an adapter modeled on the original adapter.

Last edited by séamuis; 08-17-2009 at 08:17 AM.