Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2009, 10:51 AM - 1 Like   #1

K200d - Meter Operating Time

Hi,
I would like to know exactly what is the 'Meter operating time'.
Is it the time the focus is kept after the shutter release is pressed halfway? Or the time it takes to set the focus? What else?
I wish the operating manual would be more explicit...
Thanks,
Tedi

05-23-2009, 12:13 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's how long the camera keeps displaying metering info in the viewfidner after you half-press the shutter. And by "metering info", I mean, in any auto mode, how long it keeps updating and displaying shutter speed and aperture info, or in manual mode, how long it keeps telling you how much over- or under- exposed it thinks you will be at the selected settings. At the end of this time period, the viewfinder display clear, and you don't see any info about exposure any more.
05-23-2009, 01:47 PM   #3

So ... is it just the display time of the settings, or is it the actual settings themselves?
ie. when the time is up are the current metered settings reset?
05-23-2009, 03:42 PM   #4

The question seems a little awkward; as far as metering goes, you can't take a picture without having the meter turn back on, so what is there to reset?

If you're in e.g. P mode and use Program Shift, it will remember the shift you chose after the meter turns off. If you're in Tv or Av mode, it won't forget the shutter/aperture setting you chose with the e-dial. If you're in Manual, it won't change anything on its own anyway...

Some other things are reset based on the metering timer, but they're mentioned in the manual. For example, if you hit AE-L, it will unlock when the meter turns off.

If you're holding half-press, it won't turn off on you; it's meant to be an "inactivity" timer of sorts.

05-25-2009, 08:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Quension Quote
The question seems a little awkward; as far as metering goes, you can't take a picture without having the meter turn back on, so what is there to reset?
<snip>
If you use the AE lock button, the meter operating time will more or less determine how long you have before the meter turns off, thus resetting the ae lock. (if you're metering a certain part of the scene using one of the auto-exposure modes and then recompose when you get a reading, for example)

The manual says the ae lock memory will remain between .5 and 2x the meter operating time, but I don't trust it once the viewfinder info blinks off.

Of course you can avoid that entire situation if you have it in manual mode.